Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG would not start

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG would not start

Postby Maarten » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:48 pm

I just started flightgear after about a week or two and was annoyed that I couldn't get past the selection screen (where you select aircraft, location etc). The Fly! under the plane icon at the bottom was slightly more grey then it was white.
I thought maybe because I had an older version it wouldn't allow me to start (2018.1.1) but after installing 2018.2.2 it was the same.
It took me some time tinkering around and going through screens when I saw that the plane I had selected had an "Update" button next to it. After I pressed that, the Fly! went white.

IMHO the disabling of the Fly! button should not occur without proper feedback what the problem is. Apparently it was easy: update the plane I wanted to fly and go. Why I had to update the plane before I could fly is a bit unclear to me. At least when you click on it there should be a message why it is disabled.

Also, the greying out of Fly! is a bit too subtle. It first it didn't even register and I was just clicking on it and wondering why it didn't work.
Maarten

Version: 2017.2.1

Re: FG would not start

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:36 am

i agree with this about explaining why [Fly!] is disabled when the selected craft has an update... you should file a bug report in the tracker so james can see and fix the problem... the link to the bug tracker is at the top of the page...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation