Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Installation of 2018.2.1 seems to have failed  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Installation of 2018.2.1 seems to have failed

Postby dani3l_554 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi all. Ubuntu was running updates while I was away from my computer, but when I came back it said that FlightGear had failed to update. When I click on FlightGear to run it, it says that the base data files are missing, and directs me to https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/files/ for me to downnload the files myself. The trouble is, the base files for flightgear aren't on the page yet, it only goes as recent as 2018.2. The website actually gives an error saying: "The "/release-2018.2.1/Fl..018.2.1-data.tar.bz2" file could not be found or is not available. Please select another file."

After finding that FlightGear had yet again screwed itself whilst updating, I went to remove it via apt-get to then reinstall it at 2018.2. It then moaned at me about unmet dependencies, in particular flightgear-data-base and flightgear-data-aircrafts, the same damn files that FlightGear wants me to download, but can't.

Has FlightGear been released onto Ubuntu without the necassary files available, or should I just use the base files for 2018.2? Is anybody else experiencing the same thing?

INFO:
FG Version: 2018.2.1
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
dani3l_554

Re: Installation of 2018.2.1 seems to have failed

Postby bugman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi dani, welcome to the FlightGear forum! Could you quickly check and see if you haven't run out of disk space? That seems like the most obvious issue when failing to update a large component.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby V12 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

I had same problem. And solved it manual uninstall that file by Synaptic package manager by mark package to complete remove, then Apply. After that sudo apt-get autoremove and sudo apt-get install -f.
That steps shoul be enough to remove packages with broken dependencies. And last step sudo apt-get install flightgear.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby dani3l_554 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:42 pm

V12 wrote in Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm:I had same problem. And solved it manual uninstall that file by Synaptic package manager by mark package to complete remove, then Apply. After that sudo apt-get autoremove and sudo apt-get install -f.
That steps shoul be enough to remove packages with broken dependencies. And last step sudo apt-get install flightgear.

I tried installing Synaptic, but it failed, again complaining about flightgear. Now I took some drastic measures. I looked online for a use-only-in-an-emergency command that I could use to forcefully get rid of flightgear. This was
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq flightgear
and
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq flightgear-data-all
This got rid of flightgear, but I saw that this command is not recommended as it can mess up your system.

Then, after the broken installation was gone, I reinstalled flightgear, and it's working a treat!
dani3l_554

Postby V12 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:26 am

What Ubuntu are You using ? Synaptic package manager is standard system tool for Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu. For default Ubuntu should be too.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:34 am

@V12: synaptic wasn't the problem... a fouled install from the PPA was the problem... once that was corrected and dani31_554 cleared their fouled install and tried again, everything worked fine :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation