Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Need help installing FlightGear

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Need help installing FlightGear

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm

bassmann wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm:Hello wkitty42,
you are really helpful, great to know that. Over the last two years I did at least exlpore my home country Germany with the Cessna, spending a couple of hours every month and having a lot of fun. Seems to be over now.

we're trying to figure out why you're not able to tour your country any more... i'm happy to help when and where i can :)

bassmann wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm:And yes it was a typo: it should have been "Warning: PUI: Too many puInterfaces open at once!"

ahhh... ok... that is something else... PUI is the code base used to make the menus and dialogs in the sim... it is very very old code and in the process of being phased out and replaced...

bassmann wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm:However, meanwhile i uninstalled FilghtGear again, got a fresh download and tried a complete new installation, but i had no success, the sim still stucks in the starting screen. However, the PUI waring is gone at the moment, what might be because i removed the line

--prop:/sim/terrasync/http-server=http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/scenery

from the additional settings box of the launcher

no... that line is only to do with the server you connect to to download the scenery... i'm trying to eliminate possible network path problems with your system accessing other servers... pointing you to the SF servers is one way to be consistent and hopefully point you to strong fast servers with multiple access points around the world...

bassmann wrote in Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:10 pm:If you still patient with me, how can i help you, what information can i provide you with?

as long as the questions are answered and the needed log or console information is posted, we're doing very well :)

[EDIT]

you could add that option to the additional settings box along with the previous scenery server line... then you should be ok to use the launcher and go flying... just leave ALS turned off... at least, until maybe you can get a better video card to use... NVIDIA are good but their Quaddro stuff is rather painful for high graphics stuffs...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bassmann » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi wkitty,

i am a lucky man again, finally flew around in the Berlin area again yeasterday. do you have any reccomendation for a different graphics card and first of all Is it worth to change it or should i stay with the one i got without the ALS option turned on?

Regards, Stefan
bassmann

Callsign: SNAIR

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:24 am

ummm... if you look at my profile, you will see what my system has... i had one that was about $30US and then switched it out for another which was about $60US... if you have a desktop system, you can do this video card swap but if you have a laptop, that's much harder unless they have a secondary video card that can be changed... i don't know what kind of machine you have so i'm a bit stuck on what else i might point to...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bassmann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Its a tower pc, changing the card is not a problem. In other aspects the build in card is a doing a great job. I often do grafics stuff with adobe and acad, so i was really surprised, that the card won't really work with flightgear.
bassmann

Callsign: SNAIR

Postby AndersG » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm

I don't think the Nvidia Quadro series are all that different from their GeForce series hardware-wise, but the drivers may be different. If you dare you could try installing the Nvidia reference driver for the nearest GeForce card instead of your Quadro driver. I seem to recall that there are two lines of reference drivers, the certified ones for Quadro cards and the more bleeding edge ones for GeForce cards.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby miguel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:57 pm

I tell you what I usually do when something goes wrong; I uninstall what is FlightGear, and start again
miguel

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Agreed with miguel, uninstall main program, BUT delete the %appdata% file, flightgear folder in documents, RESTART your machine, then re-install the program, and see how that goes. I've fpund that doing this can cure a lot of problems
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Johan G » Tue May 28, 2019 2:39 pm

A post was split off to the new topic Will a Dell Precision T7820 be sufficient for FlightGear?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Previous

Return to Installation