Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Console not working

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Console not working

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:55 am

Hi everyone,
Every 6 months to 1 year I reinstall my operating system (Windows Vista Business x64, SP2 + All updates).

The console was working last night, but today, it:

* Does not appear even when console is selected in FGRun (and the list shows --console was added), even after launcher restart.
* Does not appear when debugging console is selected in the QT5 launcher, even after launcher restart.
* Does not appear when adding --console to the --launcher shortcut in the Start menu.
* Does not appear from any shortcut with --console added.
* Shows when I run fgfs.exe --console from a cmd (non-elevated).
* Shows when I run fgfs.exe --launcher --console from a cmd (non-elevated).
* Shows when I run fgfs from the batch file using the same options as the FGRUN command line output.

However, fgfs.logshowes some options, I don't see console here:
Code: Select all
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:fg-root = C:\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:fg-scenery = D:/Downloads/FGFS/FMSDATA_AIRAC1712/FMSDATA_AIRAC1712;E:/terraGIT;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\Custom Scenery;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:terrasync-dir = C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:fg-aircraft = C:/Users/it0uchpods/Desktop/Aircraft;C:/Users/it0uchpods/Desktop/Aircraft/No-dev
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:aircraft = A320-200-IAE
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-random-objects =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:prop = /sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:enable-horizon-effect =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-ai-models =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-ai-traffic =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-real-weather-fetch =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:enable-clouds3d =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:bpp = 32
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-samples=4
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:timeofday = noon
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-terrasync =
general:3:G:\Jenkins\workspace\Windows-release\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2497:   option:disable-fgcom =

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,
Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Re: Console not working

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 am

I copied from my FGRUN's show command line area, and formatted it for batch:

Code: Select all
"C:\FlightGear 2017.3.1\bin\fgfs.exe" --fg-root="C:\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data" --fg-scenery=D:\Downloads\FGFS\FMSDATA_AIRAC1712\FMSDATA_AIRAC1712;E:\terraGIT;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\Custom
Scenery;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync --terrasync-dir=C:\Users\it0uchpods\Documents\FlightGear\TerraSync --fg-
aircraft=C:\Users\it0uchpods\Desktop\Aircraft;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Desktop\Aircraft\No-dev;C:\Users\it0uchpods\Desktop\Aircraft\5H1N0B1 --airport=KNUQ --aircraft=A320-200-IAE --console --disable-random-
objects --prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=false --enable-horizon-effect --disable-ai-models --disable-ai-traffic --disable-real-weather-fetch --enable-clouds3d --bpp=32 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-
sample-buffers=1 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=4 --timeofday=noon --disable-terrasync --disable-fgcom

The console appears with this fine. :cry:

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Same issue on my laptop. Console stops appearing, this happened after I installed Windows Updates... maybe one update has broken it?

Anyone know a way to find out? (Or do I have to use a batch script to launch FGFS from now?)

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm

FWIW: i always use a script to launch flightgear... i actually have several that all end up calling one of two final scripts which then launch FG...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I made a simple batch script. Still troubleshooting, and continuing installing updates to see if that fixes anything.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 pm

No-one knowes -- ok :mrgreen:

Guess I'll use my batch launcher from now on... still it's weird.

Going to try and find another program which spawns a console, that I can see if it's FlightGear or windows.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 am

Not seen this before. When I added the --console support for WIn32 it was a bit tricky to get it working as the Win32 console is slightly different on Win7 than Win10. I never tested vista, but if you had it working and are running the same version of FG it seems logical that there is a missing SP or hotfix.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:45 pm

Well, I didn't have a lot of updates installed before, as I was lazy last reinstall. This time, I did them all. I am pretty sure I have all the upsates, but since microsoft broke Windows Update, I have to do it through the update catalog.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:57 pm

AC3D also spawns a console through the exe, not through a command prompt, and that works fine. So, something in the --console option is not working.

Now, interesting news. in 2016.1.2, the console works fine! So, I suspect when the console was added back to 2016.4.1, they changed something which broke it for Vista with all the updates.

I am just editing the executable and FG_ROOT paths in FGRUN for this test. When you added console back to 2016.4.1, was it done differently? If so, maybe the difference can help me pinpoint what is missing on my system.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Octal450

Return to Installation