Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Official hangar not loading

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Official hangar not loading

Postby jam007 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

I just did a new install of FG 2017.3.1 under Win 10 and the launcher is unable to add the official hangar. It just waits and waits for ever trying to contact the hangar site.
(This might be the same problem as reported here).
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Official hangar not loading

Postby dilbert » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 pm

It's a problem with the mirrors.org web sites, not 2017.3.1 (it's worked with the add-on hangar earlier without trouble).This situation developed around Jan 1.
Stuart C and I have both reported it. About all you can do right now is wait and see what develops in the way of a fix.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby StuartC » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Still no official response to this, which somewhat concerns me.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm sure if anyone wants to donate server space to get things more reliable, the offer will be accepted gratefully. In the mean time, if you're in a hurry, do an SVN checkout, they work fine.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm

dilbert wrote in Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 pm:It's a problem with the mirrors.org web sites,

i think you mean mirrors.ibiblio.org... AFAICT, it is ibiblio with the problem...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby jam007 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:10 am

StuartC wrote in Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm:Still no official response to this, which somewhat concerns me.

A news item on the home-page could help users not active here and new users know that it's a recognized problem right now.
jam007

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm

which homepage? i know of several for FG... www.flightgear.org, forum.flightgear.org, wiki.flightgear.org... i know there are more, too...

FWIW: homepage is a misnomer... the original idea was that it would be where you would start every time you opened your browser... like the term "hacker", it has been co-opted and the meaning is not what it is supposed to be...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby jam007 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 pm:which homepage?

Probably best where youdownload FG if you are a a user using standard set up and the page for the official hangar..
Where the info is most likely read by those who will get frustrated/confused/annoyed by the downtime would be the general idea... Call it what you want.
jam007

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 pm

thank you... those would seem to be good URLs to put the notification on... now let's see if curt pops around, reads this and decides to implement it... i'm not sure if any one else has access to that level of the server...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Same here....no downloads
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Alant » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:16 pm

What to tell people? The ibiblio web site tells us nothing.

Curt posted this:

Since about the new year weekend, mirrors.ibilblio.org stopped responding to http and ftp requests. I hope that a service or daemon just needs to be restarted? Other wise has there been a policy change or has service been discontinued? I'm writing on behalf of the FlightGear.org project. Thanks for any help!

to https://twitter.com/ibiblio?lang=en

There has been no reply. Perhaps they are having an extended Christmas/New Year holiday?

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby StuartC » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:34 pm

or they went bust
StuartC

Postby StuartC » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:45 pm

perhapse its something to do with this change mentioned in their last tweet

ibiblio.org
@ibiblio
·
Dec 4
Thanks to @letsencrypt for helping ibiblio deploy a new cert covering most of our hosted domains.

If your domain is hosted with us and not covered (or has mixed content warnings), please reach out for help!
StuartC

Postby Alant » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:51 am

For those here who are even less up to date than I am, ibiblio provides the mirror service which makes this data available to FG users.

So far they (ibiblio that is) seem blisfully unaware of any problems. A Google serach soon reeals that other users of their services (e.g. Maven) are suffering similar failures.

Hopefully the problems are resolvable. Perhaps all that is needed is that the FG developers need to be aware of and to follow up on StuartC´s post above.

However if the problems continue FG will no doubt will be forced to move another mirror system, but such a change may prove difficult as it should be backwards compatible with older versions of FG.

I get around this by maintaining a complete SVN copy of fgaddon here. I also keep and update a local copy of the scenery. This is probably too fiddly, inconvenient and disk space consuming for most users, and this is one of the reasons that the aircaft hangar and terrsaync are now being developed as built in features of FG. This solution is also necessary becuase of my very fragile and slow internet connection.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:30 am

However if the problems continue FG will no doubt will be forced to move another mirror system, but such a change may prove difficult as it should be backwards compatible with older versions of FG.

I doubt that this would be that complicated actually - for instance, the multiplayer system (or rather, the built-in mp dialog) uses a dynamically-downloaded list of multiplayer servers, and Torsten added even dedicated DNS support for TerraSync I believe. Thus, all the building blocks to implement a more reliable scheme are actually already in place - and may even already be used (I don't know anything about hangars or package/catalog systems though).

For now, it mainly seems that the hosting back-end is the problem here - client-side, fgfs does have all the functionality that is needed readily available
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Next

Return to Installation