Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Installing Scenery

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Installing Scenery

Postby stamcomann » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Windows 10, FG 2017 3.1, Nvidia GeForce 1070

Did a successful download of a scenery area but I am unable to unzip the scenery download correctly. Looked at 7-zip but have no clue as to how to use it. Tried WinZip and got an error message it was "unable to create folder C:\program Files\FlightGear 2017.3.1\data\scenery\w090n40\". This error message occurred after setting the unzip to go to the Scenery folder. I then tried to unzip to the desk top to at least get the data. In the folder w090n40 was w081n40 to w081n49 and w082n40 through w090n49 with n40 to n49 listed after w082, w083,etc. Is, by any chance, this what I want? If 7-zip is the must use product, can anyone tell me exactly how to use it? Is there a way to correct the error message from WinZip and use that?

Thanks for the help
Stamcomann
stamcomann

Re: Installing Scenery

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:11 am

if this is for custom scenery, you should create a special private-to-your-user directory for it... then unzip the scenery into there... your scenery files should have Terrain and maybe Objects directories... below, we show that we created "myflightgear"... this is where we'll place all of our custom flightgear stuff... then we created a scenery directory in there... this scenery directory is where we unzip the scenery archives to... the problem is that some of them have the required Terrain and Objects directories and other archives do not... when finished, your directory tree would look like this...

c:\users\your-user\myflightgear\
c:\users\your-user\myflightgear\scenery
c:\users\your-user\myflightgear\scenery\Terrain
c:\users\your-user\myflightgear\scenery\Terrain\w090n40\
c:\users\your-user\myflightgear\scenery\Objects

then in the built-in launcher, go to the settings tab (or the one below it?) and set the path to your new myflightgear\scenery directory so that FG will find your scenery and use it...

quick question: where did you download the scenery from?

OR you can download the scenery and let flightgear install it for you... this option is in the built-in launcher and has recently been fixed (just before this recent release) to properly create and maintain the Terrain and Objects directories... you just tell FG where the archive is and it'll install the scenery for you...

NOTE: i can't be accurate on the built-in launcher placement of the scenery directory setting because i can't compile the new version with QT... the newer version of FG needs a newer version of QT and i can't get there yet... so for now, i'm stuck without the built-in launcher :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby stamcomann » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:56 am

Thanks for your response. I found someone in the Forum who went to Add-ons and I found that I could download scenery from there and it even unzipped the file and put it in C:\users\stamc\Documents\FlightGear\scenery. It worked somewhat but when I selected O'Hare in Chicag, where I live, the scenery was 90% missing. I following the directions but it just did not work. There were not 2 folders for Terrain and Objects, just all the subfiles. Not sure what was wrong or if there was not meant to work in the first place. This all took place in the program I downloaded so it should be current. Any thoughts?

Also, I do not know how to unzip the scenery file if that is necessary to do. I have tried 3 and none worked. If 7-Zip is really the one to use, can you explain how to use it?

Thanks Again,
David (Stamcomann)
stamcomann

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:10 pm

sounds like you got one of the ones that has only terrain in it... the objects are all the buildings, power pylons, and other related items...

is there a problem just using terrasync and letting flightgear download and update the terrain as needed?

if you can't just turn on terrasync, maybe you could use terramaster to download the scenery? the thing being that these other methods get you all the objects, too....
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation