Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Intersting issue with the Aircraft Center

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Intersting issue with the Aircraft Center

Postby DF_Hammack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:30 am

I just installed a new Linux distro on a new computer, and needed something to do a real world test on Graphics, memory, and general function, so I installed FlightGear from the Ubuntu PPA Repository. I fired it up, it looked great, and purred right along on a not-so-swift system. Just for grins, I tried the Aircraft Center. Much to my amazement, it worked flawlessly!

This brings me to my curious issue. You see, it has never worked for me on Mint 17 or Mint 18. When I clicked the the Aircraft Center, the sim just crashed. I quickly surmised this was because I was running it from FGRUN. To use the Aircraft Center, you must start using FGFS.So, I completely uninstalled the whole sim, even including the PPA, flushed the cache, and updated the package list. After reinstalling the PPA, and the sim from a clean install I tried to run it. It didn't run, but this was expected. An alert popped up telling me I needed the data files, just as when I installed Xubuntu 17.10. I downloaded the data files, unpacked them and tried pointing to them. The alert said they weren't the right data files (the same data files that installed on Xubuntu). Rinse and Repeat. It STILL didn't recognize them, so just on a notion, I pointed it to the files just installed from the PPA Repository, and it recognized them and started right up. I shut it down, and restarted it, went to the Aircraft Center, and on opening, the Airport Tab was missing. I went to Add-Ons Tab, checked my data there, and everything looked good, but on a whim, I decided to change the data file directory to make sure it was reading the right files from the fresh install. On a side note, I found out the hard way, you have to manually shut down the Main FG window BEFORE telling it to restart FlightGear, or you wind up with TWO Main windows, one of them unresponsive, but when it restarted, I opened up the Aircraft center, and et voila! There was the Airport Tab. Figuring it was fixed, I shut it down and tried again. When I opened the Aircraft Center, again, there was no Airports Tab. I went to the Add-Ons Tab, to change the data files, and the correct data files were already there, so I clicked OK, just as though I was installing different data files, shut down the Main window, and restarted FlightGear. When I opened the Aircraft Center, there was the Airports Tab.

So, this is the procedure I have to use if I want to change airports in the Airports Tab. I am not sure why this should be, because as I said, the installation in Xubuntu went slick as glass, but in Mint 18.2, not so much.
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Re: Intersting issue with the Aircraft Center

Postby DF_Hammack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Solved all of my problems... I switched to Xubuntu as my primary OS ;)
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Return to Installation