Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Proper gamepad configuration?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Proper gamepad configuration?

Postby sontung » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am

Just plugged my thustmaster gamepad into flightgear and found the standard joystick settings rather inconvenient:

(gamepad is 6 axles: two micro joysticks and one cross pad and lots of buttons on top, very similar to a PS/2 pad)

1. I found it very inconvenient to have throttle on an axle at all: when releasing control throttle bounces back to middle power, there is no way fixing the throttle on a constant value. Is there a way to put throttle on two buttons (just like elevator trim) to make it behave just like the keyboard control?

2. Joystick sensitivity: I tried the gamepad because I found aircraft more or less uncontrollable with the mouse. But that was before I tried the gamepad. is there any way to reduce sensitivity?

3. Trimming against "left turn effect": I understand why this is happening, but while you can place the mouse on your desk in a way to make the Cessna 172 fly straight "somehow", it is almost impossible with a micro joystick or cross control to constantly apply the "just accurate" pressure. This makes the Cessna virtually unflyable because there is only one hand free for all other tasks and it draws constant attention away from things like navigation, ...

Any hints and pointers appreciated.
sontung

Re: Proper gamepad configuration?

Postby VicMar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am

As far as I know no-one has written a default file for Game Pads. Perhaps you should have bought a joystick, there are loads of files for them.

Have a look in the hardware section of the forum.

If you use the 9 and 3 on your keyboard to control your throttle I think that will stop it reverting to medium throttle.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Return to Installation