Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG Not Responding in Windows 7

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG Not Responding in Windows 7

Postby js4444 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm having a frustrating issue w/ FlightGear 2017.2.1 on Windows 7. Each time I start FG via the GUI and click "Fly!" the cockpit of the Cessna loads and then the screen becomes greyed out, the spinning blue wheel appears, and the application says "(Not Responding)" at the top of the window.

I've waited up to 15 minutes to see if FG will become responsive again and it never does, so I have to force quit using the task manager. CPU usage hovers around 30%, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled FG multiple times, and I've also chosen NVIDIA as the preferred graphics card for FG in the NVIDIA control panel. I am a complete newbie and have essentially no experience w/ FG, so I would really appreciate it if someone could provide an explanation in layman's terms.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Jordan
js4444

Re: FG Not Responding in Windows 7

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi there,
What happens if you deselect NVIDIA and use whatever the other option is? All I can think of based on your information...
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Are you using 64 or 32 bit?
How much RAM?
What graphics card do you have?
Have you tried the ufo instead of the c172p?
Have you tried multiple airports?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby js4444 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:00 pm

wlbragg, My specs are listed below.

System Type: 64-bit OS
RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Cards: Intel(R) HD Graphics P530 and NVIDIA Quadro M2000M (I'm told that the NVIDIA is the better graphics card)

Just tried the Cessna in a different airport (KSFO instead of KBOS) and it worked fine, so my issue might be resolved. Any idea why the default KBOS wouldn't work?
js4444

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 am

Are you by chance trying to spawn at a gate position (some of them are occupied by solid objects it turns out)?

Otherwise the amount of scenery objects in Boston is quite large - scenery developers have done an excellent job, though that tends to have side effects. Unfortunately Windows tags even a perfectly normal loading process as 'Not responding', so that alone doesn't really tell anything.
Thorsten

Return to Installation