Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Automatic download of scenery and data

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Automatic download of scenery and data

Postby Maarten » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:13 pm

In the information screen for Automatic download of scenery and data it always says "Status: unable to start downloading", yet the KBytes processed go up, in the log there are messages (strangely enough most with "failed to sync" of "faild to get root fo repo" but also a lot of "sync taking a long time" followed by "HTTP request count:1") and scenery is actually being downloaded.

When I disable the automatic download/update it says "Status: Downloading disabled".
Why is the status always "unable to start downloading" when the automatic download is enabled?
And what do the messages in the log mean?

This is with FG 2017.2.1 on Windws 7 x64 but I've seen this is all previous versions.
Maarten

Version: 2017.2.1

Re: Automatic download of scenery and data

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 pm

If you are on Windows, I reccomend you try going to the log in C:\Users\Maarten\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org and delete the navdata cache, particularly if this error started after you installed a newer version of FlightGear.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Maarten » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:49 pm

I have done that and the status is the same. Immediately after I enable automatic download/update the status goes to "unable to start downloading" and the KBytes downloaded start going up.
In the log currently
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 110742
HTTP request count:1
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 130150
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 140434
etc.. and new lines keep coming.
What does that mean?
Maarten

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 am

It's going, it's just taking longer than a few seconds.
And with OSM scenery on in areas without it, you'll see something like "Failed to get root of repo /xXXXxXX/Buildings/". This is normal.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:28 pm

FWIW: on the "sync taking a long time" numbers, those are 10000ths of a second, IIRC... so put a decimal four places from the right to get a human understandable elapsed seconds count...

eg:
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 11.0742
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 13.0150
sync taking a long time: Airports/L taken 14.0434

i think that when i was watching those a lot more on my system, they were being emitted once a second... i'm not beating on terrasync so much any more, though... i've been updating my scenery and then going flying for some days before quitting and building a new binary from the latest repository commits and updating the scenery again before going back flying...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Maarten » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:13 pm

That's helpful information, that those numbers are actual times. But the message "unable to start downloading" persists. I'm beginning to think this message is a bug. Seeing that it is the only message that is given and that it shows right after enabeling the automatic download. My guess is this was put in there as placeholder and the actual code to display other messages about how the connection is doing never got written.
Maarten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm

no, it is not a place holder... it is a true message... there are three boxes on that dialog... only the first one should be checked... the other two are not yet ready for use as those subsystems are reworked and the data is not yet ready for use... if you try to enable them, you will get the failure message...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Maarten » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 am

I never have the "Download traffic and multi-player aircraft" and "Download other data files" checked as they don't seem to do anything. The failure message appears already when you only check the "enable automatic download/update".
Maarten

Return to Installation