Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Airports placed in wrong locations.  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Airports placed in wrong locations.

Postby JohmWy411 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:43 am

Hi, I am new to Flightgear. Really enjoying it, but I am having troubles with the scenery. Was flying in Canada yesterday, in fairly populated areas. Most of the villages did not register at all, they were just replaced as standard vegetation, which is very boring. This is a side question, but how can you set it up so that it shows me satellite images instead?

However, I had a bigger issue than that. The airport that I was to arrive at was completely displaced. I tuned in the ILS frequency, put it on Autopilot, got lined up perfectly, but for some reason the actual airport was 1 nm earlier than what the ILS would have located me to. In fact, all the 3 airports I have tried to land on were misplaced according to my map and also to Skyvector, in near proximity.

I am currently using the automatic Terra-Sync to download scenery. Did I do something wrong there? The airports only had runways, but no parking spaces / buildings. The entire city was replaced with the default vegetation. This is a very frustrating obstacle to come across.

Is this simply because Flightgear has not modelled such areas yet? Can I do anything about it?
JohmWy411

Callsign: ZVF-000

Re: Airports placed in wrong locations.  

Postby VicMar » Fri May 26, 2017 7:59 am

Welcome to FlightGear.
Is this simply because Flightgear has not modelled such areas yet?
Exactly that.

Can I do anything about it?
Yes. Read the rules and instruction/limitations at the top of the Scenery forum, then download a 3D modelling system (try SketchUp Make) and join in with the missing models.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby JohmWy411 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Exactly that

Well, is there anyway for me to know which areas are modeled and which areas are not? Is there like an universal map for this?
271 minus 180 is.. mmm.. uhh .. aghh.. c'mon I can't believe I'm using a calculator for this
JohmWy411

Postby VicMar » Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Here is the world map for scenery: https://scenery.flightgear.org/map/ You still have to select where you want to look, then zoom in until you can see little circles with arrows attached. Those are scenery models. Blue ones are Static objects, red ones are Shared objects.

The easiest way to see if somewhere is already developed is to use the ufo and fly there. If you can't see any scenery models - start work.

A lot of us have done our local airport/airfield because it is relatively easy to get detailed pics and measurements to work from.

Just find a building you want to model and have a go. There are plenty of us to help if you need it.

Cheers,

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Generally terrain is best in Europe (that has to do with what geodata was available under the right license at the time of scenery creation - terrain isn't drawn manually).
Thorsten

Postby JohmWy411 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for the help! I'll look into modelling this weekend.

One more question. Is it possible for Flight gear to project the ground as a mix between satellite images and modelled scenery? Or can I just set the ground project those..google earth satellite images? I would like to see all the farms and forests rather than the green standard vegetation copied all over everywhere.
271 minus 180 is.. mmm.. uhh .. aghh.. c'mon I can't believe I'm using a calculator for this
JohmWy411

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat May 27, 2017 12:26 am

You mean, the OSGEarth port.
But sorry, I have zero experience with it.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 27, 2017 4:09 am

One more question. Is it possible for Flight gear to project the ground as a mix between satellite images and modelled scenery?

Not in the official version. There's a fork which has OSGEarth support which allows you to access orthophotography databases and project that - which you have to track down and compile yourself.

I would like to see all the farms and forests rather than the green standard vegetation copied all over everywhere.

And I would like people all over the world to contribute to regional texturing rather than expect developers who live half a world away get it textured right out of the box.

Alas - we don't usually get what we want...
Thorsten

Postby JohmWy411 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:32 am

And I would like people all over the world to contribute to regional texturing rather than expect developers who live half a world away get it textured right out of the box.
Alas - we don't usually get what we want...

mate, I'm not complaining, and I didn't ask for fancy grand 3D scenery and whatnot. I just asked whether it was possible to simply replace ground textures with satellite images. You know, the clever thing that google earth can do. But a'ight i got ya
JohmWy411

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:21 am

JohmWy411 wrote in Sat May 27, 2017 5:32 am:I just asked whether it was possible to simply replace ground textures with satellite images. You know, the clever thing that google earth can do.

yes, it can be done but in private... google has restrictions on their pictures that do not allow flightgear to use them... you can, however, adjust your flightgear to use them and you can fly like that but you cannot share it with others...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation