Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Revisited: 2017.2.1 fgaddon aircraft folder not on C:  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Revisited: 2017.2.1 fgaddon aircraft folder not on C:

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:47 am

@Flyngo, I got an answer back on the developers mailing list and it looks like you can change the default location FG downloads aircraft and scenery to.

It can be somewhat hidden as I didn't see it either until I was told
Shouldn't the Download Location setting work?

If you look at the Settings/Downloads in the QT menu, there is a "Show more". Once you click on that you can see the "Download location".

I think that will let you do what you want.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Flyngo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:42 am

Ah, sorry, that I tried after every reinstall and it didn't work for the fgaddon aircraft, it only worked for changing scenery d/l. :( (see 6th/7th post in this thread).

I put some time into finding out what is wrong here (four times reinstall, two times redownload, clean, read wikis etc.), tried all suggestions of the helpfull people in this thread, to no avail. As a "user" I only have limited ways to find out what the install and the launcher do. And the only factual difference between 2017.2.1 and older versions these black boxes told me was this line: ...\fg_init.cxx:1154:init package root at:Path "D:/Dokumente/FlightGear/Aircraft" (in older log) versus ...\fg_init.cxx:1154:init package root at:Path "FlightGear/Aircraft" (2017.2.1 - D: is gone, that parrot is dead :roll: ?).
Flyngo

Callsign: KC-URG
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby wlbragg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:01 am

OK, here I think is a little bit more definitive answer from the developers mailing list. I'll post the reply as is and leave it up to you as to whether or not you want to proceed and try the potential solution.

On 2017-07-06 1:59 AM, Parnikkapore via Flightgear-devel wrote:
> On 2017-07-05 6:18 PM, Wayne Bragg wrote:
>> A user wants to change the QT-launcher's default storage location for
>> fgaddon aircraft. Is this possible?
>>
>> Please see
>> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32259&p=313736#p313736
>
> Shouldn't the Download Location setting work?
>

Since 2017.2.1, explicit download-dir will no longer create catalog to
that location, unlike scenery, aircraft will still download to the
default location regardless, additionally in Windows(clean OS install,
same drive), if explicit download-dir is set, starting catalog aircraft
from the default location will report reading permission problem for
Nasal files, unless --allow-nasal-read is passed and set to where
catalog /Aircraft folder is located[1], user will report the issue as
blank Canvas displays, missing huds from aircraft, etc for catalog
fgaddon aircraft on Flightgear 2017.2.1

[1] in Windows 10, if i specify explicit path for download-dir, i must
pass
--allow-nasal-read=C:/Users/Hamza/Documents/FlightGear/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/
for Nasal to work on catalog aircraft.

* I can also work around this by passing
--fg-aircraft=C:/Users/Hamza/Documents/FlightGear/Aircraft/org.flightgear.fgaddon/
, this will add an /Aircraft postfix to that path, under
"/sim/fg-aircraft[1]"

Hamza

Good luck!
wlbragg

Postby Flyngo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:50 am

Okay, thanks very much, mystery solved.

So (if I understand this right) in FG 2017.2.1 the possibility to have the fgaddon aircraft on a different drive than C: is no more. Reason unclear, logic same. Good to know that it is not that I am crazy or Windows is crazy (normally it is Windows that does the Kindergarden user always new restrictions thing 8) ).

The minor nasal not working bug I also had after rebuilding C: and the fgaddon folder - already found the solution two days ago to pass fg-aircraft=C:/etc.

Suggestion: As changes like this in new FG versions can throw off users who have non-standard installations (e.g. out of drive size issues in my case), wouldn't it be nice if the launcher warned? The launcher should say (under the Settings/Downloads in the QT menu, "Show more", "Download location") that the dl location for aircraft can only be on C:. And it should give separate aircraft and scenery location paths, as scenery CAN be on a different drive.

Else there may be some users who sit there with a shiny new FG like the ox in front of the mountain (as we say in Germany for "being reasonably irritated") and give up (in case they don't persist to bother others like Flyngo did :mrgreen: ).
Flyngo

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:36 am

Yeah, I'm not privy as to the why it behaves this way or if the change was intentional. I guess it really needs to be addressed on the developers list at some point.
One thing I do understand is that there are less than a small handful of programmers that work on this portion of logic and that they also are working on many other issues and features. So this is probably on the lower priority TODO list.

I passed this on to the dev list just now. Maybe they can explain the what and whys.
wlbragg

Postby Flyngo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 pm

Yes, thanks again for helping. Thread can end.

Remark about FGs manpower and priorities understood. I did a little attention grabbing in my posts to get a hint about my lil fight with the launcher. In no way did I want to imply any obligation on developer's side to put this in any priority or bother anybody. I don't sit in front of a computer with a big sticker "I me me mine" on it and I don't feel entitled to anything.

D: prob is solved on my side with a copy intensive workaround and now I am perfectly happy flying and doing some aethetically pleasing crashes into terrain etc. :D Happiness is an overheated jet engine. If in future something comes to light about the launcher's inner motivations and feelings, good, but it is not like the world stops turning, if not.
Flyngo

Previous

Return to Installation