Board index FlightGear Support Installation

cant get flight gear to launch

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

cant get flight gear to launch

Postby SP-77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:12 am

have a brand new computer, windows 10, i7-4810MQ, ram is 16.0GB, system type 64-bit with 500GB of memory. bought flight gear on a thumb drive 2017.1. launched it, installed the scenery, installed a few aircraft.
when i start it up it will go thru its motions but when it stops i get the plane with the scenery but as soon as i hit my mouse to start it up or hit another button, it locks up. cannot do anything accept exit out completely and start again but of course same thing. it started out where i could fly for a little while but then it locked up during the flight every time. never did get to land anywhere but now it locks up at the start of trying to fly. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i did however remove flight gear and re installed it to no avail. it locks up after it goes thru its motions. keep in mind that everything is fine till i use my mouse and hit any button on the top
SP-77

Re: cant get flight gear to launch

Postby Johan G » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi and Welcome to the FlightGear forum! :D

With that computer you should most probably be able to run FlightGear. It could probably help us if you post the last 20 or so lines of the log file, preferably within [code] tags (you can add them using the [>_ ] button above the forums text edit box).

This FlightGear wiki article might help you find the log file: Commonly used debugging tools (perm).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby dilbert » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm

If it were me, I would go into the FlightGear folder and uninstall using the provided facility; then download 2017.1.3 free
from the FlightGear website. Then install the known, clean version (shouldn't take long with an I7 machine). Save yourself a lot of trouble, rather than fighting what you have. No telling what system the zip provider had. Did you mean "bought" or "brought" ? :?
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:37 pm

I guess the OP got the flash drive from Curt.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby SP-77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 pm

boy this is tough, when flight gear opens, it is minimized. if i keep it there, i can start using it, i can change the fuel, set up auto pilot and route manager, all OK but when i hit maximize the screen it locks up. so i tried all over, kept the screen minimized, set everything up then started down the runway. went 5 feet then it locked up again. so now i uninstalled flight gear then downloaded from web site and exact same issues.
As for the log file, im confused on where FG run is to go to the advanced tab.
SP-77

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:51 am

If minimizing/maximizing the window makes any differences, it's unlikely the FG is the problem - this starts smelling like a graphics driver issue.

What kind of graphics card are we looking at?
Thorsten

Postby SP-77 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 pm

graphics card is an intel(R) HD graphics 4600
total memory 2160MB
hope this helps
on another note i thought it might be scenery, when i installed the scenery from the thumb drive, 49 errors came up, did it twice. they were airports. so when i run FG i took out the scenery and used terra sync. my plane is there but the bottom yellow line is scrolling round and round saying loading scenery and this has been going on right now for 30 minutes
SP-77

Postby SP-77 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:35 pm

i also have noticed minimizing the screen helped once but now i can move my mouse around everywhere but as soon as i click anywhere in the box it locks up. minimized or full.
SP-77

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 01, 2017 5:50 am

The Intel might not be good enough to run with default settings. With an 9 year old computer running the nouveau driver under Linux, I have similar issues - FG freezes for extended periods of time when I try to render graphically demanding things which need lots of GPU memory.

Try starting with minimal graphical settings, then increase rendering quality step by step till you arrive at something that works:

Some useful reading:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshooting_crashes
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshoot ... nce_issues
Thorsten

Re: ant get flight gear to launch

Postby dilbert » Mon May 01, 2017 12:38 pm

From what you say it sounds like you had some sort of problem with scenery. It may still be there and causing trouble.
Flightgear leaves some files on your computer when you uninstall, such that they aren't lost when you upgrade. Try this. Uninstall. The 2017.1.3 folder will still exist. Delete it. Also delete >Documents>FlightGear , which contains the Terrasync and Aircraft files. Also delete >program files>flightgear.org. Hopefully, this will remove any remaining evil spirits. Then reinstall.

As far as scenery is concerned, TerraSync gradually adds and updates scenery files to the >Documents>Flight Gear file as you fly in different locations, which enables you to still fly there when off internet, so recommend you initially use it, instead of trying to add your own scenery. Use the search facility under locations to go to new places.Good luck and best regards.
dilbert

Postby SP-77 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 am

first of all thank you to all of you trying to get me in the air and fly. i have been flying for a year or so but with a new and better computer, i thought i would be in heaven. i will look over these last few suggestions but wanted to give you an update. today i was able to fly i got everything going, gas, auto pilot, route etc.. however i got in the air then about 3 to 5 minutes it just froze. twice in fact.
SP-77

Postby Johan G » Sat May 06, 2017 4:48 am

I think I will reiterate this:
Thorsten wrote in Mon May 01, 2017 5:50 am:The Intel [graphics] might not be good enough to run with default settings.
[...]
Try starting with minimal graphical settings, then increase rendering quality step by step till you arrive at something that works:

If it is symptoms of a performance problem lowering the settings is universally a good idea.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby dilbert » Sat May 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Performance problem on an Intel I7?? I can fly the A6 off Pensacola with win 10 and 2017.1.3 installed on my very old laptop-Intel Celeron 2830 CPU 2.16 GHZ 4 MEG ram 3.89 usable with Intel on board HD graphics, and even land it on an Eisenhower clone offshore.
Gets real klunky at KFSO with the F14- does little skips loading scenery in a turn-but flies and doesn't crash. Something else has to be causing his problem.

Not sure how "custom" scenery installs in 2017.1.3 with current start menu , no fgadmin, fg-addon taking you to 2.0.1 downloads, etc.. Older scenery appears to remain for reincorporation after an uninstall. But what if 2016.1.3 is being installed in a new machine, as in this case, and the older or custom scenery was retained and uploaded from a zip stick? Not aware how it was done here, but still wonder if it's related to the problem.

As far as scenery is concerned, my Documents>FlightGear>TerraSync folders now have a .svn folder, Airports folder, and multiple terrain files (all acquired automatically while flying). Whereas my 2017.1.3>data>Scenery >Terrain folder only has the e000n60
Bergen default file.

Otherwise, would more suspect WIN 10 than the hardware. I disabled "Cortana", a bunch of messaging I didn't want or need, unpinned every app I didn't really need or seldom used, and avoided the "cloud" on all four of my machines. Periodically, I still get unwanted pop-ups while running FG, when the mouse hits some parts of the screen on a non-touchscreen laptop, thanks to WIN 10. While flying, it especially likes to initiate Bing search from the underlying task bar, if I'm using the mouse in the lower left side of the cockpit, which is a pain.
dilbert

Postby SP-77 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 am

To Johan G, first of all i cant get flight gear to launch anymore. it will do its thing, load scenery but just about when the plane will appear and start out it freezes so i cant get to any options to adjust scenery or rendering. i have an older computer 4 years with windows 7 and a step below this graphic card and that one will work. both computers have the current version of flight gear and scenery yet the older one works and this does not.
so with all your help and 2 weeks of trying different thing, i have found the problem and am currently working now. i will be flying this weekend so say hi to me everyone. now what you have been waiting for. when i go to my desk top and right click flight gear then hit troubleshoot comparability, then i do tests and found out that windows 7 will work it all. it gives me an option for this program to use this setting and i did my first flight complete and changed all the settings enabled with clouds and particles with no problems. looks great. i just dont know why windows 10 is the problem but i am good.
thanks again all
SP-77

Return to Installation