Board index FlightGear Support Installation

TerraSync and Scenery downloads not working  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

TerraSync and Scenery downloads not working

Postby SkinnierSteve » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm

It worked just a day ago, but now for some reason the game broke. All the scenery is gone, just water everywhere, and Terrasync doesn't download anything anymore. It is enabled, and it worked yesterday, but now it does nothing, and when I go to scenery download settings in-game, it's just a blank page. Even downloading scenery from flightgear.org didn't work. I installed the scenery with the installer thing in the launcher, but it still didn't load the scenery. Just water. I re-installed the game 3 or 4 times already, and even completely deleted all flight gear folders after uninstalling it, and then I re-installed it, but still the same problem. I did not change any installation directories or anything like that. I only downloaded a few planes and 2 sceneries from the website. I downloaded the sceneries yesterday, not sure if that's what broke it. I downloaded the planes today, and chose a new area I haven't downloaded scenery for yet to test the new planes, and expected Terrasync to download the scenery, but instead it just loaded water, and didn't download the scenery. That's when I deleted the terrasync folder, and tried again, and when that didn't work, I created new folders and changed the directory to those, but still nothing. Then I completely uninstalled and deleted the folders and did a clean install a few times, and it still didn't work. It's the latest version of flightgear btw. Now I'm here on the forums to ask for help. What can I do? I'm on windows 10.
SkinnierSteve

Re: TerraSync and Scenery downloads not working

Postby VicMar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 am

If it worked yesterday, but not today you need to analyse everything you did in between and if possible undo anything that you can.

It may not be anything you did/downloaded which is directly to do with FG. For instance: have you altered a firewall setting? Have you changed the allowed sites for downloads etc.

It may sound stupid, but check that you havent un-clicked the TerraSync access.

Vic
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
VicMar

Callsign: VicMar
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby SkinnierSteve » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:21 am

I didn't do any of those things, and Terrasync is checked. I downloaded the 2017 1.1 version 2 days ago or so, but that version just gives me an appcache error.

Edit: I fixed it by deleting flightgear.org folder in appdata.
SkinnierSteve

Postby bugman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 am

A quick update for the record: This issue is due to a stale fgfs.pid file in $FG_HOME on certain MS Windows systems which makes $FG_HOME partly read-only, blocking TerraSync from downloading. This has been permanently fixed in the latest 2017.1.2 release.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby thealt » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:43 pm

For Windows users. Try locating the navdata_ *.cache file (eg. navdata_2016_4.cache) and remove only this file. C:\Users\YouUsername\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org You may need to use TaskManager to kill FG if it's still running then locate and delete this file.

Restart FG and see if the download starts on new scenery.

Some Background on why I'm suggesting this.
Installed fresh. FlightGear 2016.4.4
Flew new locations and it works fine for some time.
Pause FG or Sleep the OS for a long period of time.
Resume and start flying (new areas) then find out I'm swimming , or fly to the end of the world when TerraSync fails.

Originally I'd clean off the system entirely including removing the full flightgear.org folder, but found removing this navdata cache file seems to work well.
Also, I'm trying to develop of habit of exiting when done vs pause or sleep the OS.
thealt

Postby Froggymicb » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks to thealt - This fixed my problem!
Last edited by bugman on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
Froggymicb

Return to Installation