Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FlightGear Wizard missing - how to adjust graphics in 4.4?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FlightGear Wizard missing - how to adjust graphics in 4.4?

Postby jackhulk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:55 am

Hello

In previous versions I was able to adjust graphics via the 'FlightGear Wizard', but I cannot find this in latest version. Does it still exist, and if not how can I adjust 'advanced' graphics settings please? I can see there is a command line option within settings, but is there not a GUI option somewhere please?

Thank you
jackhulk

Re: FlightGear Wizard missing - how to adjust graphics in 4.

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm

(I'm assuming by 4.4 you mean 2016.4.4) The GUI in 2016.4.4 doesn't have the same options as the wizard, but it exposes the ones you can't change inside the simulator from the rendering dialog. Since some people have complained about, some more options will be added in a future version (but not in time for 2017.2), but the goal is not to duplicate options which can be set directly via the in-sim GUI.

Which particular settings are you trying to adjust?
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby jackhulk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks zakalawe, and sorry yeah I did mean 2016.4.4.

I can't recall all the settings exactly, but there were things like 'horizon effect', 'random objects', '3D clouds' etc, plus all the other options found via the 'advanced...' button. My computer is old, but after adjusting the settings in this way I was able to get a better frame rate in past versions. Just checked in-sim GUI again and found sound of these options in 'Rendering Options', thank you.
jackhulk

Postby Michat » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 pm

Also you can preset a lot of properties on FGLauncher >> Settings >> additional options by pasting the prop you might want to use. Example
Code: Select all
--timeofday=noon
--httpd=8080
--log-level=info
--enable-hud   
--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=DrawThreadPerContext
 --disable-ai-traffic
 --disable-anti-alias-hud
 --disable-hud-3d
--callsign=Michat --aircraft=TU-160-Blackjack --airport=mama

List of commands are http://wiki.flightgear.org/Command_line_options

Also try one of these lines, and test what is the best for your performance.

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=AutomaticSelection

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullDrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext

And

Also mind the Clouds, at home, reducing the density from 0.6 to 0.25 multiply per two the fps. :) ( from 17 fps to 34 fps )

Josh

Cheers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby zakalawe » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Michat wrote in Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 pm:Also you can preset a lot of properties on FGLauncher >> Settings >> additional options by pasting the prop you might want to use.

Is there a reason you recommended using the command line options? All of the settings the original poster asked about, and most of the ones in your example, have a GUI alternative (in-sim or in the launcher). Changing the 'multithreading-mode' is explicitly not exposed in the current launcher because I believe OSG makes a good selection automatically.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Howdy zakalawe

There are some reasons, general and specific, why I'm recommending using command line options.

In general, just to let user know that we can preset via command line, cause he has old pc as me (pentium here).

In many cases user will like to preset some properties before running FG, avoiding some loading time, furthermore to get avoid some tedious repetitive ( ) checks later on the FG menu options (torture), and or to get rig off some crashes.

Another reason, the easy to us sharing properties is now. If the property exists, I'll avoid to explain no more in what FGmenu resides it. The way that FGLauncher becames universal give us the opportunity nowadays to easily share them, better than before where some properties i.e FGWizard (windows) were stock/edited on advanced settings under some categories. That required a lot of customer service user to user support repetitive talks. (torture)

By sharing properties, a new user can easily paste the --prop, testing the result, understanding in a record time (1 minute) what on an standard windows users took 3 years. Really amazing.

Getting rig off of a lot of torture, now the most numbered question is where they can find more properties to try. Awesome achievement, holly FG, we just should say click on -da link- "For the information on additional options, please see here.

The achievement is huge, no needed to travel around unnumbered (unnumbered menu options/Tabs) and the user is having faster results on what FG is as a program-aplication.

No more epic efforts. Nowadays we use --prop in a unified way, metatag, metaverso.

One example on mumble, where we have voice communication and chat:
Answering one of the most common question on simulation and of course in FlightGear: What aircraft are you flying ?, where are you at ?. My answer will be.

--aircraft=TU-160-Blackjack --airport=mama

This will avoid us a lot of messy repetitive talk.

User will know where I am, on what aircraft. Even to know if they have my model, just by running FG, and expecting some - no model alert- , neither needing to search the airport on any list. Quick start- less talk. Sacred Metaverse ¡

On the specific side, some properties are better to preset before spawn, being pretty useful this method to avoid some crashes.

i.e. --disable-ai-traffic, cause some users included me have a crash setting off this function via menu. So we share the property to be preset by user.

More specific is to preset rendering options:

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=AutomaticSelection

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullDrawThreadPerContext

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext

At this point some users with more advanced PC report that last option is the best, where some others declare not to feel any difference and they preset AutomaticSelection, while users with old PC will find better performance setting 2nd or 3rd prop.

Even some properties are really exist on FGmenu, those are in my opinion better to preset, as a said before, been able to avoid repetitive checks (torture). However there are some props that are not working properly.

I.e --enable-hud --disable-anti-alias-hud --disable-hud-3d. However I have to say that there are some problems with --disable-anti-alias-hud, which for some reason are not save and well preset, so user have to go to the menu again in order to set correctly, and again if HUD has been cicle, or turn off.

There is a bugtracker ticket reported by me under the HUD category explaining what's wrong with the HUD set behaviour. Being my personal torture.

In general, using -- prop, is such easy way that the user will jump easily to the next technical skill, the advanced property tree. Shorting the time to get knowledge to become advanced user on a record time.

My favourite -prop preset is the one that allows me to connect MP directly, avoiding the repetitive talk-question, are you connected on MP, I don't see you in the map... and so forth.

EDIT: We were searching for the resolution mode list in the new wizard, as we had some users with strange windows size behaviour in some planes. During our tests we use --prop geometry , does anyone where is the resolution list now? is there a new automatic method used for screen size detection/selection?

Thank you.

Hope this answer your question.
Michat

Version: 191b

Return to Installation