Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Installation directory

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Installation directory

Postby richlear » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Hello all from a new user!

I am running Win7 and have downloaded the latest stable exe file to install on my company laptop. As part of the company IT stuff I have a "home" folder (H: Drive) which from what I understand is a synchronised network drive. Anyway, it seems that FG is not able to write to that folder and I get en error message saying "not enough quota to process that command"

I talked to my friendly IT man and I am told that the company policy is to prevent stuff being written in there.

During the install I can choose the directory in which to install the majority of the files but FG tries to write some files into H:Documents drive and the installer bails out at that point.

Is there a way during the install to specify a different directory for whatever needs to be in that location?

Thanks in advance

rich
richlear

Re: Installation directory

Postby elgaton » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

To answer your question: no, there is currently no way to do so. There are three solutions to this problem:
  1. Recommended: ask your system administrator to create the folders <My Documents>\FlightGear\Aircraft, <My Documents>\FlightGear\TerraSync and <My Documents>\FlightGear\Custom Scenery. The Setup program should detect that they are already present and will not try to do anything else in there.
  2. Another way could be installing Windows in a virtual machine, installing FlightGear inside the virtual machine, then copying the folder where FG was installed to your computer.
  3. Finally, you could use a tool such as innounp to extract all files from the Setup program; however, I would keep this as a last resort, because, while the Setup program automatically installs the 32- or 64-bit version of the simulator depending on the system you are running it on, extraction tools do not make that distinction (from my experience, they might extract only one of them, which means you could end up with a non-fully functional FlightGear).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Re: Installation directory

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:11 pm

It's unfortunate that our installer bails out when it can't create these directories, instead of simply continuing. We only create them as a convenience, and when we added them, we assumed that Documents would always be a writeable location - it sounds as if that's not the case here.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Installation