Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Can´t see the aircraft

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Can´t see the aircraft

Postby anlodeje » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello, so the thing is that i initialize Flightgear (i have the latest 4.4 version) and i can´t see the aircraft. Just a "standart" model plane blue and yellow. But the model in question doesnt appear. This is happening, at least, with the a330s, b777s, and 747s
Does anybody what happens? And what can i do to solve this problem?
Thank you in advance!!
anlodeje

Re: Can´t see the aircraft

Postby Johan G » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

The blue and yellow glider is the default model which FlightGear loads when it can not find an aircraft 3D model. This usually happens when one encounter arcraft in multiplayer that are not installed.

Do I understood you the correctly in that you see the glider imstead of the aircraft you selected when starting FlightGear?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby anlodeje » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes, thats it. For example, i select the 777, and what i only see, is the default blue and yellow glider plane. Don´t know why is this happening, as in other versions of the game worked well

Thank you for your help!!
anlodeje

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:04 pm

have you installed the 777? you see the glider when the craft is not installed...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:58 am

... or when your FG_AIRCRAFT changed back to default.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:27 pm

This response is primarily directed to Johan G.

Using multiplayer I sat on the end of a runway in the f-14 with nearly all the transports and jet fighters in installed aircraft. Also using multiplayer I placed each of the same aircraft in front of the f14, using a second computer. Of all the aircraft tested, the only ones where the actual model was visible were the F-14, JA-37, and 777. On all the others I got the blue and yellow glider. Just today I also tested the DR-400. What I found was that the model could be seen by another DR-400, but not by another aircraft-in this case the f-14, which only saw the blue and yellow glider.

Originally became aware of this situation while operating an MP carrier. Only the F-14 models showed up.
Other planes , such as the f15, A6, A4, F8 and Yakalov, only displayed the blue and yellow glider despite the fact that all were in my installed aircraft file. That's what originally prompted me to run the test.

Also note that whereas "Seahawk Wingman" demo works with F-14, it only displays blue and yellow glider, even though Seahawk is included in installed aircraft. If flying the Seahawk, you get two mini silver dirigibles.

Having the viewed aircraft in viewer's installed aircraft-which is necessary- seems to be the stock answer to this question; but I only found it to work in 3 out of about 23 aircraft tested: Showing actual model: Boeing 777, F-14B, JA 37. Only showing blue and yellow model airplane: A6E, A320 family, A 340-600, Aermacchi MB-339, Boeing 737-100, Boeing 757-200, Boeing 767-300, Boeing 747-400, E2C Eurofighter, F-8E, F-15, F-16, Harrier GR-1, Lockheed F-104, MIG 15, North American T-28, PC-9M, Yakalov 36. Did not check individual aircraft to see if each could recognize its own kind (as in the case of the DR-400).
Anlodje should see the 777 model, provided he has it in installed aircraft, just as Johan has already indicated.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby DrewDrew345 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

I have had this problem for a while and I fixed it by going to http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/ and downloading my planes from there. I put the planes in a folder I call "Addons". I put the file location in the Addons tab of FlightGear.
DrewDrew345

Return to Installation