Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Nothing Happening

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Nothing Happening

Postby Agewalker » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 pm

So I had to remove Flightgear a few months ago, in order to clear up space on my hard drive. I re-installed the latest version (2016.4.3), but it wouldn't start. I've tried rebooting, clicking on the .exe itself rather than the shortcut, running from the start menu, running as administrator, re-installing, and re-downloading the installer, but every time, it shows the blue "loading" wheel for a few seconds, before it disappears and nothing else happens.

I have Windows 10, and use on-board graphics, and the previous version used to run perfectly fine.

I'm really missing this program, so I'd be super grateful if someone could help me figure this out.
Agewalker

Re: Nothing Happening

Postby Necolatis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Could be your anti-virus that suspicious of it.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Agewalker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:47 am

I tried turning my antivirus off, no change
Agewalker

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:25 am

If the installer (FlightGear_2016_4_3.exe) is not starting, be patient. I suggest you wait for 10 minutes or so before complaining.
If FlightGear after installation (fgfs.exe) does not appear, then well...
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby Agewalker » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:59 pm

It installed just fine, but the application itself won't start.
Agewalker

Postby wlbragg » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:29 pm

How much RAM (memory) do you have?
Please try to post your c:/Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/fgfs.log here so we can have a look at it.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby edroberts1943 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:11 am

This could be the same problem I had. I did a little more digging and ran FG from a command window and found and unhandled exception--you can see my post in this forum.

When uninstall for fg is run there are many files that do not get removed. I solved my problem by searching for *flight* and then removing all files created by flightgear manually. I also removed and downloaded again the install executable.

This solved my problem but does not give any clew about what was wrong.

Good Luck,

Ed
edroberts1943

Callsign: N9991W

Postby Michat » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 pm

Looks like 32to64 crash, but only looks. Your PC is messed-up a little, hard disk, file allocation, program registry, several releases of FG attempts.

Try this method.

Remove FG, then check if still there are some files on where it was install.

Then go to to this addres C:/Users/MY USER NAME/AppData/Roaming/Flightgear.org if you find it, just remove flightgear.org folder and of course it's content. I have noticed that in some windows PC's this route can vary, some users have to go to similar path under Windows folder, something like windows/user or user/windows. I can't be precise at this point. So find it, and remove flightgear.org folder.

Reboot windows pc.
Download Ccleaner free (as in prize) software.

Install Ccleaner and execute it, we are interesting in to clean the so call registry, so uncheck all others cleaner options, like explorer (browser) and others. Only check registry and run the cleaner, doing this cleaning more than twice, until you'll get no issues detected.

Time to reboot your PC. Rebooting helps a lot.

Open cleaner and run registry clean again, if there is any new error. Cleaning. If so reboot again.

Install Flightgear, be sure you execute the FG installation always as administrator.

Good luck, that could resolve your problem, but for your information, some users had to repeat the process with different FG releases several times, I recommend you last FG stable 4.3, cause we find to work when we have that issue.

Before installing another new FG release, be sure that you have remove the previous FG, doing this method.

Cheers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Octal450 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 am

Cleaning the registry in Windows is not only not required, but doesn't really do anything, except save a few kilobytes of space...
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:28 am

especially since flighgear doesn't touch the registry other than the minuscule install data...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Michat » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:46 am

I believe you guys. I have this talk years ago in the forum for the same issue, with some other advance programmer user. "FG doesn't touch the registry".

However when user install-unisnstall FG. Ccleaner analisys detects some broken old keys from FG ( they call registry keys, maybe is marketing ). So I call them "registry" maybe wrongly.

Anyway, since I was user of FG on windows xp since 1.9.1.b to 2.6, I remember we had to clean registry (ccleaner) several times, then reboot several times again (almost twice), in order to get out of any wrong key, if not, we'll have problems running FG.

2016 user captaincool windows 7 has suffered this issue last week, he had several attempts to install FG, with different releases. I meet him on mumble, we tried all methods to uninstall his FG. It works again, now running new 4.3 after successfully first run his last stable 3.4.

Cheers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 am

yes, the winwhatever installation process does place things in the registry... that's how flightgear shows up in the control panel's "add remove programs" list... other than that, though, there should be nothing else... just the %APPDATA% directory and the installation directory plus whatever custom directories the user has created...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:01 pm

I'd try the following:
Uninstall any earlier version.
uninstall 2016.4.3
delete Documents>Flight Gear
delete Users>{your user name}>App Data>Roaming>flightgear.org
search $FG in C> and delete any and all files therein.
Only after completing all of above reinstall 2016.4.3.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Return to Installation