Board index FlightGear Support Installation

I cant' get FG 2016.3.1 working

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

I cant' get FG 2016.3.1 working

Postby ponipei » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:27 pm

The program crashes on startup. I launched the program within the cmd environment. What I got follows:

C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2016.3.1\bin>flightgear instance already running, switching to FG_HOME read-only.
platform default fg_root = Path "../data"
Reading global preferences
Finished Reading global preferences
init package root at:Path "C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/Aircraft"
No user specified aircraft, using default
Loading aircraft -set file from:Path "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Aircraft/c172p/c172p-set.xml"
Found language resource for: en_GB
Reading localized strings for 'en' from Path "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Translations/en/sys.xml"
Reading localized strings for 'en' from Path "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Translations/en/atc.xml"
Using default download dir: Path "C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear"
Using default TerraSync: Path "C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync"
initializing cloud layers
Enabling ATI viewport hack
Configuration State
======= ==============
aircraft-dir = "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Aircraft/c172p"
fghome-dir = "Path "C:/Users/Bruno/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org""
download-dir = ""
terrasync-dir = "C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync"
aircraft-search-paths =

scenery-search-paths =
C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync
C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync/Terrain
C:/Users/Bruno/Documents/FlightGear/TerraSync/Objects

C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Scenery
C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Scenery/Terrain
C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.3.1/data/Scenery/Objects

Splash screen progress init
ATI Technologies Inc.
AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151.1008
Splash screen progress loading-aircraft-list
Splash screen progress loading-nav-dat
NavCache at:Path "C:/Users/Bruno/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/navdata_2016_3.cache"
Sqlite API abuse
NavCache: init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse (attempt 0)
NavCache at:Path "C:/Users/Bruno/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/navdata_2016_3.cache"
Sqlite API abuse
NavCache: init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse (attempt 1)
Sqlite API abuse
NavCache: init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse (attempt 2)

There is, as far as I know, no other instance of FG running, I tried to uninstall and install again the program several times without success.. I need your kind help
Bruno

Operating system Windows 10
Version 3.1
Graphics card AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
ponipei

Re: I cant' get FG 2016.3.1 working

Postby Parnikkapore » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:58 pm

Use Task Manager's advanced mode,man... Sometimes fgfs keeps running for some time. Before you start FlightGear the next time, delete the file after "NavCache at:Path". It will be happily rebuilt.

Thanks!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm

i've asked about this "Sqlite API abuse" on the dev mailing list...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:32 pm

this looks like a permissions problem... how did you install flightgear? did you use administrator mode or what?
here's james reply on the dev list...
> what does this mean and why would someone in win10 be seeing it??

Means we are doing something wrong when creating / opening the nav-data. Question is what and why, which unfortunately the error message does not tell us, except that the condition must be persistent (since it failed on each retry). Since normal response is to close the file, delete it and start with a clean / empty cache, this suggests some permission issue to me, but I cannot really say for sure.

emphasis mine...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby clrCoda » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:04 am

As a long time Flightgear Windows User...

currently, I can't use the newest flightgear until I do the things to my machine that go from 32 bit to 64 bit so I can't claim experience with the 2016 series of FG's but...

It's kind of a issue when someone installes flightgear into the PROGRAMS folder, and James saying this is hinted to a PERMISSIONS situation gives me the idea that haveing this 2016 version installed in the PROGRAMS folder is the permissions issue.

I could make several cases of why you don't want FG in your PROGRAMS folder because of permissions, such as the problem of not being able to edit files and save them directly to FG when it exists in the PROGRAMS folder.

I would suggest deleting the install in the PROGRAMS folder and re-installing and when you are given the opportunity during the installation process to choose another folder, that you do indeed choose another folder that is NOT UNDER C:/PROGRAMS, but somewhere else under C:/. personally I use a folder based on the version like C;/FG1631 if I was installing that version, and then I can have many many versions of FG installed, know the diff between them, and not be bothered by permissions every time I hack one of the files.

Best of Luck, --Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:08 am

while i agree with what you are saying, the sql database is not stored in the programs directory... it is or should be stored in the user's documents or %appdata% directory... it looks like the user's documents folder in this case since that's where it is writing the terrasync stuff to... i also do not see any UTF-8 characters in the user's name or they wouldn't have even made it that far...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Installation