Board index FlightGear Support Installation

PLZ HELP l Detected incompatible version of the data files  Topic is solved

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: PLZ HELP l Detected incompatible version of the data fil

Postby Johan G » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:24 pm

mhab wrote in Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 pm:Even the Wiki is wrong about where to find $FGHome on Windows.

The directory seem to have changed many times, like every third release or so... :? Probably exagerating a bit here though.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby djkea » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:00 am

mhab wrote in Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 pm:Wow

I run into the exact same problem. I can't believe what's going on here.
I read there are thousands of Windows downloads of 2016.1 and everytime I upgrade to a new FG version I feel like I am the first one who tries.
Even the Wiki is wrong about where to find $FGHome on Windows.

I can't say this is a positive experience, but it is FG at it's best.
If you don't have developer skills from the beginning you are not worth to use it.

Sorry but I can't believe what I run into here
Mike-DE

DITTO DITTO. Have been scared to request help because I know that I will have to answer a bunch of questions I do not understand. I thought that if I looked around long enough I would find an example to learn from. Well its been a couple months and this is the closest thing I have found regarding support for incomplete or non functional downloads. It is a shame it's so mysterious a procedure to get help...
djkea

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:44 am

Right.

The procedure to get help is as mysterious as to state all the facts that may be relevant to the question and then ask it.

Compare: FG crashez every time, plz hlp! with I've upgraded to a new graphics driver two days ago, and then decided to replace my FG 3.4 installation with 2016.1 - the launcher runs fine, but later I get a crash before the main window opens, here's the log file.

Which do you think can be figured out, and which do you think can not be figured out?

I read there are thousands of Windows downloads of 2016.1 and everytime I upgrade to a new FG version I feel like I am the first one who tries.

Since we're not getting thousands of help requests or complaints, it usually seems to all work fine. I'd be obliged if you tell me how to debug an issue that occurs on 1% of computers if it doesn't occur on mine other than by asking technical questions and requesting tests.

It's not that we ask these questions because we're mean, or we'd want everyone to be a developer. It's simply impossible to figure out from 'FG crashes' what is going wrong.

If you believe this is frustrating, try fixing bugs for a change and stare for a few hours at a bunch of line trying to figure out what's going wrong elsewhere when it runs so perfectly fine for you - and then try getting yelled at. I assure you interacting with users who expect the service of a commercial product from volunteer developers is no fun either.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

So lets take it down a notch and let us help get you up and running, you'll be thankful in the end because it is a great "FREE" product.

I read this thread for the first time just now and based on the information at hand you have a potential path forward or a few more questions to answer before we can get it straitened out.

Based on the information at hand, your first step (at this point) is to figure out how to wipe any prior FG installation (that is if you know you have installed this product before). Then try to install again.

If that is not the case then we can move on to the next set of questions.

While we're in the process of providing completely volunteer support, remember there is a difference between free VS paid, volunteer VS employed. We are all willing to help you sort it out, for FREE! All we ask is a bit of understanding that this is a massive project with hundreds of thousands of lines of code and we all are here as volunteers by choice, not necessity. We do it because we like the product and understand it's value, not because we want to sell you on it.

It is apparent and we are all aware that installation is an area that certainly could stand some improvement, (especially when it comes to upgrading) you want to volunteer to take on that task and make it foolproof, your more than welcome to have at it?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 pm

mhab wrote in Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 pm:Even the Wiki is wrong about where to find $FGHome on Windows.

perhaps you can point out exactly where the wiki is incorrect on finding $FGHome???

1. i just opened the wiki in another window.
2. i typed FGHOME in the top right search box.
3. the first link lead me to http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME.
4. because i was looking for winwhatever specific information, the contents box pointed me to http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME#Windows.
5. section 2.3.1 is the one we're after because this is for FG newer than 3.0.

so i should look to C:\Users\myusername\Documents\FlightGear as FGHOME...
what part is missing?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mhab » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Hello

I can only talk for my machine, Windows 7 64-Bit
I started with FG 2.12 and have arrived at 2016 now. FGHOME was and still is at %APPDATA%\flightgear.org\

There are certainly reasons, why this may not be true for others, but I never saw a difference before and after FG 3.0.
I renamed this very directory and FG 2016 used it just like FG 3.4 did before.

Meanwhile I research how to use the new startup GUI. Plenty of unsolved questions and obscure behaviour ... :-((
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE

Postby wlbragg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm

FGHOME was and still is at %APPDATA%\flightgear.org\

While that may be true the issue arrives from not getting a clean install in that directory. It still needs to be removed and created anew. Renaming is always a wise choice as it gets rid of it for the new install but still leaves all the old settings should you need to look back on anything.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby mhab » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:17 am

Hello

After two days of fighting I came to the following conclusions:

My frustration is/was caused by the new integrated launcher
    I went back to fgrun, and now I'm controlled operational again ;-)
    FG 2016.1 itself has fully convinced me through the wonderfully improved secenery rendering and my personal favourite:
    I no longer lose sight of AI/MP aircraft
    when I am near them, special thanks for fixing that !!!

Mike-DE
mhab

Postby mhab » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:20 am

Hello
I posted some helpful guidelines for using the launcher under Windows here: http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29150
Mike-DE
mhab

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 am

you wrote:But if the Wiki is turned into a Forum, then I can use the forum as a Wiki as well ...

LOL :lol:
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS

Previous

Return to Installation