Board index FlightGear Support Installation

SD v HD v TerraSync scenery install

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: SD v HD v TerraSync scenery install

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:19 am

@Thorsten, thank you for your feedback. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I change texturing scheme to improve performance?

The performance depends on the mesh density, not usually on texturing. Despite a few claims to the contrary, textures only influence your rendering performance when you managed to exhaust GPU memory with them. But in general textures are a small factor compared with mesh vertex data.

You can change to 'global' or 'dds' in the rendering dialog, and this will give you different visuals (in most places inferior as they're not region-specific), but the performance difference is so small I've never been able to measure it.
Thorsten

Postby swwon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Okay so you're actually saying it doesn't really matter, the fps performance change is minimal. If I revert to an earlier version like 3.4 or 3.2, would I still have the same performance issues by using this 2.0 version?
swwon

Version: 2016.2.1

Postby Thorsten » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:37 pm

I have no idea where your performance bottleneck is. In general, it's complicated.

If you see strong differences between 1.0 and 2.0 world scenery, then it's likely that vertex processing on the graphics card is your bottleneck, in which case only two things substantially help - reducing visibility and reverting to the old scenery, while dialing down rendering quality might ease the situation (it doesn't reduce number of vertices but time spent per vertex).

If you performance bottleneck is elsewhere, all bets are off. Usually, everything else being equal, newer FG versions are faster because in addition to new features, there's optimization on the old being done, so if you run 2016.2 with the visuals of 2.0, it's going to be a lot more efficient.
Thorsten

Postby swwon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 pm

OK thanks!
swwon

Version: 2016.2.1

Previous

Return to Installation