Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FG 2016,1.1

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: FG 2016,1.1

Postby elgaton » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:37 pm

StuartC wrote in Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm:where can I find fgfs.log?

Press Win+R to open the Run window, type %APPDATA\flightgear.org\fgfs.log and click on OK, the log should open.

The log priority setting mentioned by Hooray can be changed in FGRun (if I remember correctly, it should be in the Advanced window).

StuartC wrote in Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:57 pm:PS, is this supposed to be an official public release ???

Yes. Furthermore, new releases will be published quarterly instead of biannually (bug fixes will land earlier this way).

A final note - even though you're not currently on SourceForge, I would encourage you to sign up and open the bug report there yourself. Failing that, I can do it on your behalf, but, should the developers request more information regarding the crash so as to find the error (and that's usually the case), I would need to relay the messages back and forth.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby StuartC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:48 pm

Well I got so fed up with it, I binned it. Just reinstalling 3.4 now.
Guess I wont be using the new one as its not going to be fixed until the next new one arrives.
I must say im not impressed by the initial bugs even with the installer. A novice would have no chance with it. IMHO this will only hurt FG. Remove it until atleast the installer works properly.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:58 pm

StuartC wrote in Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:48 pm:Well I got so fed up with it, I binned it. Just reinstalling 3.4 now.
Guess I wont be using the new one as its not going to be fixed until the next new one arrives.
I must say im not impressed by the initial bugs even with the installer. A novice would have no chance with it. IMHO this will only hurt FG. Remove it until atleast the installer works properly.

point well taken - however, the real issue a chicken and egg problem, i.e. the number of Windows users involved in regular testing is extremely low, and the number of Windows-based core developers is much lower - I am not even sure if there are any FlightGear core developers remaining who are primarily developing on Windows - most of the remaining folks are Linux/Mac OSX folks. Previously, F-JJTH and FredB would handle quite a bit of testing, and maintain/develop the underlying infrastructure code - but these days, even most power users don't have access to Windows (except for dual-booting or VMs).

All of that is to say that, unfortunately, you should not expect the quality of future Windows releases to improve significantly, unless you are willing to get involved, if not in core development - then, at least in regular testing, and in providing regular feedback to the people developing the code, and that would normally take place using the devel list or the issue tracker - or preferably, using merge requests to provide patches/improvements.

There were a few Windows-based contributors involved at some point, but their patches also had a hard time getting reviewed. Fundamentally, the project does not just need more active core developers, but also people on Windows to help with testing.

Otherwise, the situation really isn't much different from having some kind of exotic graphics card, where most shaders/effects won't work properly - so that too little testing by those who do have access to the corresponding hardware, turns the whole issue into a chicken & egg problem. Just look at Thorsten's comments on fixing Intel and AMD/ATI related shader issues - he really cannot be expected to have 10 different graphics cards from 5 different vendors ... thus, FlightGear as a community, depends on this kind of feedback - or it is simply to be expected that FlightGear development will increasingly shift to *nix based OS - the only thing Jenkins (the build server) helps with is ensure that things to build/run properly - but there isn't any regression/usability testing done for things like the installer.

So things aren't going to magically improve - if you care about improving things, consider to get involved in testing and try to provide feedback.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby StuartC » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:08 pm

I have very limited time now. Since my fathers Death, I now have 2 businesses to run.
Im Primary Aircraft developer at FGUK. I need a stable version to do that and FG doesn't like multiple installes. This new one trashed my 3.4 install which I was trying to keep intact.
Unless someone is able to step into my shoes at FGUK, I simply don't have any more time to give.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Hooray » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:53 pm

Understood, absolutely clear - and I am really sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family - obviously, real life takes precedence
I was just trying to bring across the point that improvements don't happen "magically" - anyway, under such tragic circumstances, I would consider taking some time off from virtual stuff like FlightGear.

Again, sorry if my posting came across as harsh - I only skimmed through the thread, so I may have missed the details.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:50 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:10 pm:Alternatively, a gdb backtrace would be even better :D

IF you do a gdb backtrace, please do it this way
Code: Select all
(gdb) thread apply all bt full
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 am

i've been told on the dev list to use what i posted... it is step 10 in your link...

i prefer to go ahead and do it that way since i have to copypasta it to a file and i will not be able to run a regular bt later... especially if the regular bt does not provide enough information... it will be there in the fuller one... beside that, who has time to leave the debugger running with a crashed sim in it waiting on further instructions?? the sim crashes, the full threaded bt is run and saved, the fgfs.log file is save to match the backtrace, quit the debugger and start up again to either try to reproduce the crash or simply to go fly something else somewhere else...

can you tell that my 48 hour long term circling KSFO test has left me deprived of my fgfs lately? :twisted:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:21 am

Regarding your regression tests, you may want to use custom fgfs/preferences.xml files in your $FG/HOME in conjunction with flight plans and/or fgtapes to make things better reproducible - ideally, we would grow a library of such tests and let people try to reproduce them on different platforms.

Personally, I find ~2gb of default memory usage rather extreme - I still remember times when FlightGear would get by with "just" ~450 mb, not that long ago.

But what is really needed is some way to decouple user-specific settings ($FG_HOME, $FG_SCENERY, $FG_AIRCRAFT, $FG_ROOT etc) from generic settings, i.e. those that are crucial to reproduce an issue. Currently, fgtapes are not too suitable to recreate certain settings (think rendering, ai) - so we would need to come up with flight recorder profiles (config files) to optionally also capture such stuff - for debugging purposes.

it is step 10 in your link...

I know, I wrote that :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby treeman1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm

I have a Question I cant seem to get into the 2016.1 version I did have the 3.4 and it worked fine I removed it downloaded the newest version an to no avail can I make it work if I go in to the program it shows a root error what can I do to fix this thanks

the excat thing it shows is FG_root path invald or not set

thanks for any help
treeman1

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:40 pm

@treeman1: what OS and launcher are you using? can you look at the properties of the icon you click and see what it says the executable name is?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby treeman1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am

@wkitty42 im using windows 7

C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2016.1.1\bin\fgfs.exe" --launcher

that's the file as u requested
treeman1

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:07 am

Was the message in the "Black window" or a windows-style window?
If the latter,simply select "Locate data files" and select the 'data' folder. That's simple.
If the former,paste the full log from the black window.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:54 am

thanks treeman1... that's exactly what i was looking for... now we need to know the answers to parnikkapore's questions... especially the log if you can get it and paste it into a response between code tags, please...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby treeman1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 pm

@wkkitty and Parnikkapore

if I open flight gear thru by going thru the c drive I can get to flight gear wizard and that is were it is showing in the FG_root ..... the error is a yellow triangle
treeman1

PreviousNext

Return to Installation