Board index FlightGear Support Installation

NavCache:init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: NavCache:init failed:Sqlite error:Sqlite API abuse

Postby grimdon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 am

Looks like you guys are going to be busy adjusting FlightGear to make my problem easier to troubleshoot. However, I do not want to wait for the next release to forge ahead. I hope one or more of you could give me some guidance on where to look for this persistent data that keeps my re-installations from starting like new. It seems that if I could just delete this data and
start afresh it would be of value. I have looked for it and come up empty. I found autosave-2_12.xml but it didn't help.

Thanks.
grimdon

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 am

typically, this error will occur whenever people are using non-standard paths, especially with non-ASCII characters - so please tell us the full path of your $FG_HOME, so that we can see if that's the case here. Keep in mind that autosave is unrelated to the sqlite/navcache - so deleting it should have no effect in my opinion
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby grimdon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:26 am

Looks like you nailed it, Hooray.
I had FG_HOME=~C:\Program Files\FlightGear~. It didn't like the tildes. I removed them and now get a good launch.
I have no idea what the tildes do. They are present in the example of the on-line Users Manual, para. 4.3.1.
They are not present in the Users Manual packaged on my DVD.

While going through this, it occurred to me that it would be wonderful to have a meta-search engine that searched all the manuals, wikis, forums, etc for help on a topic.

I consider this topic closed. Thanks for your help.
grimdon

Postby Philosopher » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 am

I sent a PM to Stuart (maintainer of the manual) to see if he can look into it; that's a really strange bug, but I'm sure someone can fix it ;).
Philosopher

Postby zakalawe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am

This makes me think I should do some validation on FG_HOME, i.e that it exists, and is writeable. That would have caught the UTF-8 / windows-local-8-bit encoding screw-up I had for 2.10, too.

I think we have all the pieces to do this, will come up with something in the next few days.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:43 am

it would be great to see this resolved once and for all, because the cache is such a great thing in theory, but has been affecting so many users in subtle and unpredictable ways, so some more hardening/error-checking and validation during startup would seem like a very good idea.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby zakalawe » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:16 am

Unfortunately I think this is more a reflection of our lack-of-QA process - we don't have anyone aside from Gijs testing Git or release-candidates on Windows. I do now have a Windows machine I purchased, but I would rather not add that responsibility to my workload. Given the lack of QA process, I actually think the process has been pretty smooth, on the scale of software testing :)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:38 am

definitely true, but still we kept seeing a bunch of bug reports after each release - and I'm not sure if we even had any RC testing period during the last release cycle ?

Also, Gijs doesn't really count as a regular end user, despite him using Windows - he's probably building from source and is a long-time FlightGear contributor and developer. So basically we need to get more people involved, especially Windows folks.

Personally, I also don't really use Windows very often - usually, FredB helped a lot with Windows testing, but he seems to be busy at the moment. And I think TheTom also had to use a VM or dual-booting to test canvas things on Windows.
While do know how to build FG from source, I still find it to be a major issue on Windows, but I promise to look into it again once I find some time to look into your superbuild stuff.

On the other hand, it's a matter of exposure and wide-spread testing, too - most "developer-minded" users wouldn't use path names like those causing these problems here, most us grew up in times where a file name was 8 characters + 3 for the extension :D

Now, apart from adding 3rd party debugging libraries like BreakPad to FlightGear, one of the more straightforward things to try would be using the built-in HTTP client support (either the xmlhttprequest fgcommand or Tom's new cppbindings) to make the SG_LOG() macro post critical errors (SG_ALERT and above) to some pastebin (or even the wiki), so that we actually get some information - even by people just running the software, without them having to be involved in the forum, issue tracker, devel list etc.

I think libz is linked in anyways, so compressing logs and uploading them would be an option to get more reports from our uninvolved Windows users :)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Is the ~ 80Mbyte Navcache file in *User*/Application Data/flightgear.org, causing FGrun to take over 6 minutes to load while it churns through 'navigation data? This is only reason why I'm not too pleased with 2.12, otherwise it's pretty good.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:28 pm

if you're prepared to do some troubleshooting, please get in touch with Zakalawe via the issue tracker - he's looking for people affected by this very problem, because it isn't commonly encountered by most developers.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:54 am

Issue tracker? Is there a link to it? I don't normally get anything in the DOSbox that would give a clue as to what is causing the delay.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby hamzaalloush » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:35 am

^try increasing the log level via fgrun, so you will get more info on your errors in the dosbox
hamzaalloush

Previous

Return to Installation