Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Where to download FGData 2020.4.0 ?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Where to download FGData 2020.4.0 ?

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm

Where can I download FGData as a tarball / zip archive from ? I know this must be possible as I have already done it, and now a friend wants to do the same, but I can't find the link anymore. Why has the download page no separate section for the nightly builds ?
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Where to download FGData 2020.4.0 ?

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:58 pm

TheEagle wrote in Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm:Where can I download FGData as a tarball / zip archive from ? I know this must be possible as I have already done it, and now a friend wants to do the same, but I can't find the link anymore.

your browser download history should have the link you used... i just look in my downloads list in mine and it shows me the link...

TheEagle wrote in Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:07 pm:Why has the download page no separate section for the nightly builds ?

because the nightlies are not for normal users... but a google for "flightgear nightly download" should turn up what you seek, too...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:02 pm

The browser history was my first thought too, but it was months ago that I downloaded the FGData and a search for "fgdata" doesn't bring up anything useful.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm

i didn't say browser history... i said download history ;)

eg: in firefox, there is a download tool that shows you all the files you have specifically downloaded...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby TheEagle » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 pm

Oh - I must have misread this. But I regularly clean up my download history because else it takes several minutes until it opens, after some time ! :wink: That's why I can't find it there either.

With your search terms I found at least the .deb files, but I know exactly that I downloaded a SINGLE zip / tar / something similar, instead of multiple files. If you have the link, why can't you just post it and we're done ? Then everyone else searching for this will stumble upon it, and the question will be never asked again.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:20 am

teach a man to fish and he'll eat every day of his life ;)

TBH, though, i used a torrent when i first found FG but i was on very noisy barbed wire lines at that time (/joke)... once i started using dnc and git, i've never tried to get FG or FGData any other way... the only other option i can point to is the official gitlab mirror and cloning FGData from there... i believe i have pointed you to a method of doing that in the recent past?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby TheEagle » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:26 am

Yes … the problem is that Ysop needs 2020.4.0, not newer and not older ! :wink: He's solved it for now by using 2020.3.11.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:18 pm

i went looking back through my posts and came on this topic of yours: Weird graphics artifacts with FG git next
if i were a betting man, i might bet that the zip you are looking for is from the gitlab mirror of the FGData repo... https://gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata/-/archive/next/fgdata-next.zip (1.4GB download as of the writing of this message)
that topic also contains a link to my post on the best way to get FGData using git...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Ysop » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:34 pm

Thanks a lot, folks!

This question came up in a discussion about scenery and it wasn't my intention to urge others into action....

But the question might be of general use so thanks for solving it.
Ysop

Version: 2020.3.18

Postby tckosvic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:23 pm

I have finally gotten simgear/flightgear to compile and pass tests. A very lengthy time consuming task with a lot of tinkering but completed. My system is opensuse 15.3 linux with Mate desktop. The installation process from the wiki included a download of "data" in the install. I assumed the downloaded sg, fg, and data were a matching set as they were all git cloned from fg site.

Now when I start running fgfs (which appears to start fine), I get a dialogue that wrong version of data is installed. Dialogue says flightgear version 2020.4.0. installed. But data version is not compatible with installed fg version. Even though the install process for fg and sg also included data files. There is a pushbutton in the dialogue to download proper data files. This download button dialogue opens "https://sourceforge.net/projects/flightgear/files/". This page does not even have a data set 2020.4.0. The latest there is: 2020.3

I saw this thread and added my query here. Per the title of the thread "Where to download FGData 2020.4.0?

thanks, tom kosvic
tckosvic

Postby tckosvic » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:40 pm

Error found; problem solved. Found out that data files were loaded into ~/FlightGear/lib64 and fgfs was looking for them in ~/FlightGear/lib. I copied data files to /lib and fgfs started fine. Looks like all is well. Later removed data files from /lib64.

WIKI instructions should say to use FGFS_PREFIX_LIB=${FGFS_PREFIX}/lib for opensuse along with debian; don't use FGFS_PREFIX_LIB=${FGFS_PREFIX}/lib64 as for RedHat.

Problem appears to be solved.

tom kosvic
tckosvic

Return to Installation