Board index FlightGear Support Installation

A question on installing new aircraft?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: A question on installing new aircraft?

Postby MariuszXC » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:39 am

Currently (in FG 2020.x) the recommended way to download aircraft is to do it via the graphic laucher. This way you ensure that the version of the aircraft is matched to the version of FG you have. I honestly don't remember if that method is present in FG2018.x.
If you want to use the old method for some reason, the aircrafts subdirectories go into 'fgdata/Aircraft' directory. Locate it and just unzip the new aircraft archive there. To tell FG to use that specific aircraft use --aircraft= command line option.

If you download an aircraft from github as a zip file, the directory will contain a word '-master' in its name. Just remove this part and keep just the aircraft model part of the name (e.g. if you got Cessna 182 this way it unzipped to c182s-master. Rename c182s-master to c182s).

Have fun.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:08 pm

also, it should be noted that if you are downloading craft manually, you really should be putting them in your own private custom craft directory tree... i always make one in my home or documents directory (eg: $home/myCustomFGCraft)... in that directory you need an "Aircraft" directory so we have $home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft... this Aircraft directory is where you unzip the craft you manually download... this Aircraft directory is also the directory you point FG to in the --launcher's additional craft settings... when FG loads, it will walk through all the sub-directories in $home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft to find all the craft it contans...

in the end, you might end up with a tree like this...
Code: Select all
$home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft
$home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft/NewUFO
$home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft/F-18
$home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft/USNCruiser-CLG6-USS-Providence
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:10 am

For wkitty42's method, you would add "$home/MyCustomFGCraft/Aircraft" to the Custom Aircraft section of the Add-ons tab in the launcher.
Last edited by Parnikkapore on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:57 pm

whoops! you're right... not the Aircraft directory... i goofeded :oops:
i didn't confirm the correction :lol:
Last edited by wkitty42 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:19 am

Oh whoops, it's me who goofed! The Aircraft directory is the correct one in this case!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 pm

:mrgreen:
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Installation