Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Home Airport

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Home Airport

Postby psnarf » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55 pm

Slackware Linux, KDE/Plasma
Version 2020.3.11
AMD Radeon 540

When I enter `fgfs` from a command prompt, I start off in Iceland, BIKF. How can I change that to something closer to other airports. Is there an option to choose a default airport other than BIKF? I know I can specify the airport on the command line, but suffering from congenital indolence, as I oftentimes do (born lazy), why Iceland?
psnarf

Re: Home Airport

Postby psnarf » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:37 am

This is a non-issue, just curious. I imagine many of the core developers reside in Iceland? Easy to change airports under the Location menu.
psnarf

Postby V12 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:31 am

Major FG releases have different default airport.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby SE-HK » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:20 am

I believed you could start FG using
Code: Select all
fg --airport=ID
. I tried, replacing ID for KEWR (Newark's ICAO code) but got started up at Lat Long 0 0, so I guess I am using it wrong.
SE-HK

Version: git

Postby V12 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:27 am

Gentlemans, and what about :
fgfs --launcher
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 pm

yes, definitely easier to use the --launcher (if you are not already) and simply select your location in the location tab...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby MariuszXC » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:58 pm

psnarf wrote in Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55 pm:Is there an option to choose a default airport other than BIKF?

FG looks for a configuration file $HOME/.fgfsrc
You can put the --airport= option there to set a new default location of your liking, for example:

# Initial position

--airport=LOWI

More details here: https://wiki.flightgear.org/Fgfsrc
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby Parnikkapore » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 am

To elaborate on what V12 said, BIKF was picked in a poll as a reasonably detailed airport which has a lot of things to explore around it. Currently, the plan is to change the default airport every LTS release AFAIK.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby psnarf » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 am

I don't want to change BIKF. Lots of airports for cross-country flights, the erupting volcano is a feature. I've flown the 787-8 from BIKF to Oslo. I even found a route from Keflavik to Lhasa, Tibet: BIKF-ZULS.fgfs at https://flightplandatabase.com. Thank you, V12 and Parnikkapore, for explaining the history behind the choice. I only found FlightGear this summer. (Color me Newbie. Here, use my Newbie crayon...)
psnarf

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:43 pm

i don't know if you saw it or not but as V12 mentioned above, why not start your FG command line sessions with "fgfs --launcher"?
you could also make yourself a script, eg: runfg, with contents like the following which will always start FG with the built-in launcher and any other parameters you pass to it...
#!/bin/bash
fgfs --launcher "$@"

you can set 99% of the options in the launcher which makes things a lot easier on you ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Installation