Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17 [2010], 14:00 GMT

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Would you like ATC support during this event?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Yes, that would be fun
100%
No thanks, too much fuss
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17, 14:00 GMT

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 pm

The ENSD buildings are in the TerraSync repository now. In the meantime, I added some buildings to ENAL and will send them to Martin later.

Cheers
David
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Version: GIT

Postby yourgod » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm

gah.. I just remembered that this is the weekend they are doing the Air Show at Dobbins AFB here in Atlanta.. Was planning on loading up the fam and heading down to watch the Blue Angels and the other great planes and demonstrations. As much fun as this event would be, I'm leaning on the side of going an watching the real thing.. I have to work Saturday so Sunday would be the only day I could go to the show..
Callsign: YOURGOD, (YOURGO if you only recognize 6 characters)
TransGear Airways site: http://transgear.treborlogic.com/
FG related projects:
Planes: Douglas DC-8-73
Code: Hurricane simulation weather enhancement
yourgod

Callsign: YOURGOD

Postby Trennor_ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm

D-79 wrote:The ENSD buildings are in the TerraSync repository now. In the meantime, I added some buildings to ENAL and will send them to Martin later.

David

What about those of us who dont use terror-synch, like me, who downloads from the server as needed ..... ? Is there some way we can get these too?
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Trennor_ wrote:What about those of us who dont use terror-synch, like me, who downloads from the server as needed ..... ?

I see the problem. Why don't you just switch TerraSync on for the event? There's no terror in TerraSync, I'd say.

Of course I can try to build a download, but that always takes some more time and I can't promise.

David
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby ot-666 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Nice scenery model additions. :D
Not sure if I will have the time to join this event, but it sounds like fun.

Best regards, Oliver
Callsign: ot-666
Working on LOWI and other stuff - Custom Scenery Overlay Repo: http://gitorious.org/fgfs-custom-scenery/custom-scenery-overlay/
VMX22 - Osprey... sometimes in 2014
ot-666

Callsign: ot-666
IRC name: ot666

Postby Trennor_ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:12 pm

D-79 wrote:
Trennor_ wrote:What about those of us who dont use terror-synch, like me, who downloads from the server as needed ..... ?

I see the problem. Why don't you just switch TerraSync on for the event? There's no terror in TerraSync, I'd say.

Of course I can try to build a download, but that always takes some more time and I can't promise.

David

Because terror-sync has never worked for me. So rather than waste time messing around with it, I take the expedient route, dl scenery and store it on a spare hdd I had kicking around doing nothing, and now I have it for the future. This way I put an old hdd back into service. I've heard too many horror stories from other t-sync users about running out of scenery at critical times (such as on final approaches, or trying to locate airports which are mysteriously not there to be bothered trying to figure out why my system doesn't like it. Believe me, I've been through this ad nauseum. So I just don't bother with it anymore. It's just as easy to pre-download what i need, install it... and go from there.
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby redneck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:17 pm

I just realized, that's probably going to be too early for me. I'm going home for the weekend, and can't be sure I'll be able to get back in time. Unless it can be pushed back to 1800, I probably won't make it, and even then, I may be late at least.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby D-79 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:17 am

Trennor_ wrote:Because terror-sync has never worked for me.

Do you mean TerraSync doesn't download on your system?

Trennor_ wrote:I've heard too many horror stories from other t-sync users about running out of scenery at critical times (such as on final approaches, or trying to locate airports which are mysteriously not there to be bothered trying to figure out why my system doesn't like it.

Trennor, I've heard similar problems from users who don't use TerraSync. Even if such problems were due to TerraSync, they would only occur during the loading process. Once TerraSync is switched off, your system will treat the installed scenery as though you downloaded it manually.

Trennor_ wrote:Believe me, I've been through this ad nauseum. So I just don't bother with it anymore. It's just as easy to pre-download what i need, install it... and go from there.

Okay, here's my suggestion:
    1. Download and install all necessary tiles manually.
    2. Switch on TerraSync and "pre-fetch" the airports you want to download the newest scenery for.
    3a. Switch off TerraSync.
    3b. Switch off TerraSync, and if you mistrust the downloaded "Airports" and "Terrain"-folders, just delete them, but leave the "Models" and "Object"-folders. That would work for most airports where only objects have been placed.

But it's not a big deal. Originally I planned to organize the event without any buildings anyway. So even if you don't have the newly added airport buildings, you can participate just as well.

David
D-79

Postby mifi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Sounds like a lovely trip. I went there to have a look and to have terrasync load the scenery. Pretty.
And the DHC-6 is a lovely plane, albeit a bit on the slow side.

I will see if I can be there in time...

m
mifi

Version: git next

Postby digriz » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:55 pm

I think this will be a very nice event!
Just practiced a little bit in that area and liked it a lot.
Count me in, I'll show up in a Goose.

Regards,
digriz.
digriz

Postby D-79 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

On the ATC poll we have a clear picture right now: 12 votes say "Yes, that would be fun", 0 say "No thanks, too much fuss". I think it is not necessary to wait for more votes, so it is decided: jomo will serve as ATC at ENAL and then at ENSD!

Check the first post for details.

David
D-79

Postby Kabuki » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 pm

This is neat. I'd discovered the fjords on Google Earth a while back, and they're some of the most spectacular scenery in the world. But it took me a while before I could 'fly' to them, because of a bad network connection that was crippling terrasync. I had to start in Malmo, fly to Oslo, then to Bergen. I actually had to fly those hops to load the scenery. Which is cool in a way.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Bruno » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:18 am

I'll be there on the Twin Otter! :)
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I Am 80,000 Feet and Climbing." - Sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating location on Kadena.
Bruno

Callsign: bsiq
IRC name: bsiq
Version: git

Postby D-79 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 am

D-79 wrote:Okay, here's my suggestion:
    1. Download and install all necessary tiles manually.
    2. Switch on TerraSync and "pre-fetch" the airports you want to download the newest scenery for.
    3a. Switch off TerraSync.
    3b. Switch off TerraSync, and if you mistrust the downloaded "Airports" and "Terrain"-folders, just delete them, but leave the "Models" and "Object"-folders. That would work for most airports where only objects have been placed.

Oh, and jomo just pointed out to me: If you load the TerraSync files into another directory, as you always should, you can easily switch them off later by deleting the TerraSync-directory from the Wizard (in Windows). This article explain explains it:[wiki]TerraSync[/wiki].

David
D-79

Postby D-79 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:36 am

This morning (Norwegian time) we had a spontaneous test run with around 8 planes participating. Approaching ENSD, it proved very difficult for ATC to get all planes in, so we decided to set up a standardized approach procedure for runway 08 (forecast says wind will be from East tomorrow).

With so many planes in the air, ATC will have to keep his instructions to a minimum and will only contact you during the approach if something goes very wrong. So please read the instructions carefully, and maybe try them before the actual event. So here they are (if you don't know how to use the ADF to approach an NDB, see the instruction below):

• Coming from Storefjorden, approach Hoynes NDB and enter a relatively small circling pattern at 3500 ft and 100 kt.
  • Try not collide with other planes. During the whole approach procedure, maintain 100kt.
  • When ATC calls you, leave the circle at a radial of 140° from Hoynes NDB and descend to 2000ft until you are over the water.
  • When you are over the lake, turn left to 090°and descend to 1000ft, make sure you don't fly into the mountain to your right.
  • After passing that mountain to your right at 1000ft, switch NDB frequencies and turn right to Sandane NDB, descend to 600ft.
  • Over Sandane NDB, turn right to 150, maintain 600ft.
  • Wait for further ATC instructions

A short ADF instruction:
  • The De Havilland planes dhc2, dhc3, dhc6 all have working ADF instruments, I don't know about the others.
  • In the dhc3, the ADF is the bottom middle one, with the single orange arrow.
  • An ADF helps you to find an NDB (see the purple markers on mp map)
  • To tune the ADF to an NDB, open the "Radio settings" dialog and enter the 3-digit NDB frequency into the left ADF (Hoynes = 384, Sandane = 408)
  • The arrow will now show you where the NDB is
  • Beware: The compass disk is fixed and does not turn like a compass. The radial which you have set in the "Radio settings" dialog will always be at the top.

David
Last edited by D-79 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
D-79

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events