Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17 [2010], 14:00 GMT

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Would you like ATC support during this event?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes, that would be fun
100%
No thanks, too much fuss
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17, 14:00 GMT

Postby mifi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:28 pm

It is a pity that at the end the remarks about "people not knowing how to follow instructions" that were made on fgcom spioled the fun.

I would like to suggest that perhaps next time, an event gets organised in one of three possible grades:
A) One for pro's that take things very seriously,
B) one for people that are interested enough to prepare but are not educated enough to behave like pro's,
C) and a third grade for the rest.

I enjoyed it enormously right up to the end when the evaluation started.

m
mifi

Version: git next

Postby mifi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Calico wrote:Mifi, I'm running FGCom on a Mac and have been trying to get extended range to work. I don't see a file called fgcom.h. Do you or anyone else have an idea as to what I could do to get range extended working?

fgcom.h is in the src directory in the sources of fgcom.

m
mifi

Version: git next

Postby digriz » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Has been great event!
Here are some photos I took:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mangotree1000/FlyInFjordsOfNorway#
Hope, you like them.

Have phun,
digriz.
digriz

Version: GIT

Postby D-79 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 pm

Wow, what an event. At one point, there were 23 planes in the Pilot list, that's quite a lot. I am very glad so many liked the idea and joined the event in the end. Thank you to every one who was there!

There was no problem whatsoever with getting all planes up in the air. We all circled above that NDB at ENAL, then headed into the fjords. Cool! The mass simultaneous landing in the fjord was definitely spectacular. Unfortunately, some of us had to leave there due to other duties. After taking off again, we approached Hoynes NDB at 4500ft or so, and circled there until jomo picked us up one after the other. The long line of nicely separated aircraft nicely approached ENSD.

Finally, things got very messed up around the final approach where pilots arrived too high, not in the right spot, stalled and crashed along the way, there were simply too many etc. That doesn't really matter in the end, since every pilot involved was extremely keen to follow ATC instructions and to do things "right". I was totally surprised and glad to see so many following the suggested approach procedure. Wow! It is clear that most of us have been practising flying and following ATC instructions a lot. Congratulations, because we did very well overall.

mifi wrote:It is a pity that at the end the remarks about "people not knowing how to follow instructions" that were made on fgcom spioled the fun.

Yes, I can understand that. At the time I made these remarks I had spent a long time up at Hoynes NDB circling and waiting that I could approach. Waiting up there, I saw how Jomo struggled with some pilots who had trouble following his instructions and finding the runway. And I also sensed that he was getting annoyed at that point and felt responsible, because I had asked him to take that role. That tension still guided me when I commented on the approach at the end of the event.

Now, with one hour distance, I can say that I was really amazed how well it went. I should remind myself how long it took me to learn to fly these planes and to navigate. I remember that when I first got into multiplayer mode, I saw this big bunch of planes in France somewhere near the Channel. I had no idea what they were doing and was pretty confused actually. At that time I didn't even know about this forum. So what does that little story mean: We all started somewhere and it's great to have those on board who are still learning. We all did very well up in Norway.

Bruno and digriz: Thank you for the great photos.

Thanks to everyone
David
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby D-TB7 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi,

it was a great event. Thanks for everyone who participated. Thanks to jomo and D-79 for preparing.
And thanks to Norway for being such a great scenery! ;-)

Here's some evidence of this well attended event...

Line-up at Vigra (ENAL):

Preparing for take-off at Vigra (ENAL):

Mid flight from Vigra to Storfjorden:

Approach at Sandane (ENSD):

cheers,
Thorsten
D-TB7

Callsign: D-TB7
IRC name: ThorstenB

Postby snipey » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 pm

i took a lot of screenies and for some reason photobucket decided to rearange them when in produced the IMG codes. so the first one it took is on the bottom right and the last one top left.
on the pictures you can see:
  • the line up at ENAL
  • some air to air shots
  • my successful waterlanding
  • my nose dive and wat happend when i teleported to ENOV
  • some more air to air shots
  • some screenies of landing planes

click the image for a bigger one
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
snipey

Callsign: snipey

Postby AndersG » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately I could not attend to more than the end of this nice event.

My best screenshot (thanks to model view :)

There are a few more here:
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/.images/ENSD/

I stayed in the fiord...
...until I headed off to Shetland... (where I unfortunately botched my landing in the Bressay Sound at Lerwick).

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby Jester » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:00 pm

When I went online for the event I was confronted by the problem that the Catalina from GIT can't be started :( Luckily, D-HUND provided me with an updated copy that I managed to install while the lengthy queue of aircrafts proceeded with takeoffs. Then the new weather system went berserk, I couldn't use real weather. After landing at Storefjorden I decided to give it another try, but it only got worse ... visibility was around 1e-60 meters (that is 10^-60, a lot smaller than the size of an atom :mrgreen: ) and QNH was down at 12inhg and steadily decreasing .. to the point that the engine shut down. So back to fair weather it was, but the altimeter was broken for good. The Catalina doesn't seem to have working ADF, so that posed another hurdle for the final leg. I have tried to display the raw data from the property tree, but that showed crazy values so I mostly followed the pack to the holding point and flown the approach from there visually based on the nice map posted here in the forum. I have tried to tell Jomo that a water landing was fine for me if that makes his work easier, but I eventually landed on the runway. There wasn't much space to taxi around, my wing was over a fence. Parking space was scarce as well.

Screenshots:
Vigra takeoffs:
Image Image Image

1st leg
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

2nd leg
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Landings from model cockpit view:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01

Postby Trennor_ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I think you should be proud, David.

1) you had well attended event; 20 aircraft is nothing to complain about.

2) It was quite well organized. Yes, some info could perhaps have been a little clearer, but from my perspective, most of the problems arose from people who either could not or did not read the forum posts, didn't understand what you told them there, or couldn't be bothered doing a little research on their own.

3) I saw one query on the text chat, "What is the event today?" as if someone just saw the aircraft gathered, spawned, and started asking questions. NOT a good thing to do amid the "chaos" of someone trying organize 20 aircraft into some semblance of order and getting them on their way. ATC did quite well from what I could see. Some people just need a little more patience to let things unfold: all will be clear to those who wait, rather than demanding instant information. Sit back, relax, these things are supposed to fun, dammit! Please don't spoil my fun by being "dumb." If I hadn't felt so sorry for David and ATC in this, I might have found some of those antics amusing.

4) You know where mistakes were made and I know you'll move to correct those another time. That's why mistakes are made, to provide a learning experience.

For my part, weather was FINE, and I was using --real-weather-fetch; there were a few clouds but nothing I couldn't handle. For me, I lost aircraft control in my DHC2F and ended up ditching.

Good job -- perhaps another will be on the way again soon.
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby Zexe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 am

Trennor_ wrote:
2) It was quite well organized. Yes, some info could perhaps have been a little clearer, but from my perspective, most of the problems arose from people who either could not or did not read the forum posts, didn't understand what you told them there, or couldn't be bothered doing a little research on their own.
3) I saw one query on the text chat, "What is the event today?" as if someone just saw the aircraft gathered, spawned, and started asking questions. NOT a good thing to do amid the "chaos" of someone trying organize 20 aircraft into some semblance of order and getting them on their way.

Actually, that was me and that's exactly what I did, saw the gathering on MP map, spawned, and asked questions (since I was excited to see such a magnificent gathering, not a moment could be wasted to load up my FG and spontaneously appear on the runway). For that, I apologize since I have been flying FG since the creation of the Grumman Goose by Buckaroo and should have known better. I'll be prepared next time.
Zexe
AIRPORTS: CYYJ, KHAF, RJTT, KEYW
PLANES: m33, grob115, pa22, Goose, MD-81, Velocity-XL, Rallye, F-5E Tiger II, Bocian,
Zexe

Postby Calico » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:23 am

Sounds like it was a magnificent event! I wish I had been able to attend, but homework got in the way. Probably good, since I would have had huge lag...

s
Taking an indefinite break from the Flightgear community.
Calico

Callsign: CALICO, N113DK
Version: 2

Postby yourgod » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:26 am

Glad to hear it was a great success.. I wish I could have made it, but I was sitting on a taxiway at the local AFB watching guys in F-16's, F-18's, Canadair Tutors, and bi-planes do crazy stuff over my head.
Callsign: YOURGOD, (YOURGO if you only recognize 6 characters)
TransGear Airways site: http://transgear.treborlogic.com/
FG related projects:
Planes: Douglas DC-8-73
Code: Hurricane simulation weather enhancement
yourgod

Callsign: YOURGOD

Postby D-79 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Thank you for all that has been said about yesterday's event, I am glad you liked it. I liked it too, a lot!

Look what I just discovered today at ENSD:

We could surely do an event like this again, in a few months' time. I just found a nice spot in the southern hemisphere, but that's to be announced then ...

Cheers
David
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

Postby Kabuki » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:56 am

I was aware there was going to be an event in the fjords, which by coincidence I had been exploring for the previous few days. But I hadn't noted the exact time. So I was pleasantly surprised when I saw all those planes clustered up there on the map website, and tried to join. I had some technical problems, and by the time I got back to the map, everybody was gone.

Someone was complaining about "people who don't know what they're doing". That would be me. I don't think I got in anybody's way this time, but I only intended to fly around in the presence of other real people flying imaginary aircraft.

I think this is always going to be a potential hazard, of people "crashing parties". There have been a few times when I've been flying on the net, when I've noticed something that looked organized. I don't see anything that can be done about it. The sky's free, after all.

OK, actually I do see what could be done if the problem gets bad enough.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:45 am

You all uploaded so many and great screenies that I won't have to do so, especially considering that until Sunday I only ran FG 1.9.1. Your graphics are a lot better, which seduced me to install GIT on Sunday right away. Works fine.

For the record. 23 planes on the Pilot List :shock:

David
D-79

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events