Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17 [2010], 14:00 GMT

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Would you like ATC support during this event?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Yes, that would be fun
100%
No thanks, too much fuss
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Fly-In Fjords of Norway, Oct 17, 14:00 GMT

Postby jomo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am

To all of you lucky guys
who enjoyed this event - without knowing what kind of a stupid guy your ATC was. After the event he was getting real desperate that nobody posted any comments to this event - he was just applying for a place in a cloister when he noticed that his "subscribe topic" was reset! Thank you David that you got me out of that desperation!

Out of the sight of an ATC:
When D-79 asked me if I wanted to do that I really thought it would be impossible to guide more than 10 unique pilots in one group! But we decided to try it - and my compliments to the participants: You reacted much better than I feared! And yes: I remember also I once had an outburst because some guys (and one especially) did not follow advise and when they finely followed they changed their mind once in a while - so they used up a whole lot of supervision-time. And believe me: If there are 20 plans to supervise and 3 of them in short final - try to figure out how much time you have/need to keep an eye on all! Sorry if I got nervous and frustrated a couple of times! I promise I will try to become a polite guy (just give me about another 60 years time!)

Based on the experiences during the event, I do NOT vote for any differentiation in some kind of "good", "average", "newbie" pilots. First of all: All shall learn and have fun - and where can they learn better as in a group with the "best of" ones?? Also the "good" ones would probably be bored if flying in a very small group! And what only ATC knows :D : Very often the "good" ones cause the biggest problems because they believe they know better and thus break out of the group - and then start arguing :evil: ! Of course nobody should crash into a mountain because ATC "is sleeping" - but pls "awake" him with a (very) short notice that you deviate from his advise! And you have all the rights to deviate - you are the "responsible pilot in command" - ATC is "just an advisor" (but you better have good reasons for any deviation :!: ). And all in all: The Radio discipline was great - I had no real problems to find a spot to speak - with MPchat it was different: I admit I did not read all of them and surely I overlooked some important ones -- sorry to all that are still waiting for an answer from me :oops: ! Also here: I would not suggest to accept only FGCOM-users, but I very seriously hope more and more will install it! And I believe such an event is ideal for convincing some more people of how great that is -- and do not forget: FGCOM is still relatively new. And if I remember correct there were 5 w/o FGCOM -- thus >75% were with FGCOM. That's great (for the beginning)

I thank you all for those wonderful photos - it seems that really was a big event within a wonderful scenery! And this huge amount of planes in some of the pictures are great - just sorry that I did not take some pictures from the MP-map and/or Radar: It is very very difficult to identify that unique target you need to call by name! It is a lot of switching, zooming, searching, etc. - and I know I lost control a couple of times when there was a crowed just on short final while i was trying to identify the next to leave the circle. Sorry enough only after the event I found a solution for that - :idea: if we do it again: Somebody within/above the circle could take the job to monitor on MPmap (e.g. while flying on AP) and send the plans one after the other to the airport - and ATC just picks them up half way, where they are already nicely lined up! I do propose to do that next time (when there are again that many!).

But I also believe: We should not overdo it with the perfect line up: I guess this kind of event would get boring if e.g. all landings would be separated by minutes - some near parallel landings just belong to such an event! Keep in mind: Such a crowed of 20 in a waiting loop is not possible in reality! I know many of you know me and are frustrated when I insist on "following the real, simulated rules" at EDDF! But sometimes there needs to be some fun (in a simulator!)

And that means: I would like to do it again! It was great and a real new experience. Thank you all.
joe
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby tibtib » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 am

Hello everybody,
Hello jomo, I'd like to thank you again for the wonderful work you did, I guess it was very difficult to manage all those plans with out they collied some thing but you did a very god job :wink: .
Perhaps next time will manage to have two tower, handling approaches/missed approaches(yes, there where a lot missed app) and final.

About "as real as possible simulation", I love it, but it's true that managing 20 planes on the real paths would of bin hugely hard or impossible, but still I love using SIDs and STARs, ILS IAP, and communicating like do real pilots and, jomo, you should keep doing like that at EDDF.

And YES, I think we should do this again too.
:D

Tibtib
Callsign: tib/ATCtib or TWRtib, GNDtib, APPtib
Handle when ATC:
-For IFR: IFR flight, SIDs, STARs, ILS, transitions or vectors
-For VFR: Patterns, VFR flight and vectors
Both with chat or FGCOM.
Please excuse my English, I'm from Switzerland(french part).
tibtib

Callsign: TIB
Version: 2_0_0

Postby mifi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 am

ty jomo, for what you did during the event and for your remarks above!
You message made me look forward to the next event.

m
mifi

Version: git next

Postby Lukosius » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 am

I have a major problem with FGCom that has now happened at this event, and at the last TGA event.

FGCom has never been a problem for me, but since the change of the FGCom server, FGCom keeps 'timing out'. It's a message I have never come across before, and never seen anyone with a similar problem.
Callsign: Lukosius (or Lukosiu if you only see 7 characters)
Preferred Aircraft: 777-200ER, 787, IL-96, MD-81, Citation X, B1900d, DHC6, Seneca II
Physical Location: Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Lukosius

Callsign: Lukosiu, AVA0017
Version: 2_4

Postby jomo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 am

Lukosius wrote:FGCom has never been a problem for me, but since the change of the FGCom server, FGCom keeps 'timing out'. It's a message I have never come across before, and never seen anyone with a similar problem.

Many noticed that the new FGCOM improved on windows-systems and downgraded at Linux
Have look in http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewto ... =32&t=9651
rgds joe
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby jamied_uk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

how do i pre-fetch maps using terrarsync

i have entered the following two commands

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:$HOME/fgfsScenery"

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:$HOME/fgfsScenery"

had to use two terminals

upon loading and going to different airports still only shows water am i doing something wrong?
jamied_uk

Callsign: Multimedia
Version: 191

Postby Blairdean » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Try port 5505

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5505,udp --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:$HOME/fgfsScenery"

Do you get any messages like this on your console?

Code: Select all
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Terrain/w070n40/w063n46 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Terrain/w070n40/w063n46
Checked out revision 16678.
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Objects/w070n40/w063n46 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Objects/w070n40/w063n46
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Terrain/w070n40/w065n47 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Terrain/w070n40/w065n47
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Objects/w070n40/w065n47 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Objects/w070n40/w065n47
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Terrain/w070n40/w064n47 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Terrain/w070n40/w064n47
svn checkout http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Objects/w070n40/w064n47 /usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync//Objects/w070n40/w064n47
svn: URL 'http://terrascenery.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/data/Scenery/Objects/w070n40/w064n47' doesn't exist
Return code = 256

You might also check your write permissions on your $FG_ROOT/Scenery/ directory. With two scenery directories, I don't know which one terrasync would try to write to, but I assume the first in the list. If you dropped the $FG_ROOT/Scenery/ and went with the $HOME/fgfsScenery only, that might fix you up.

Blair
Blairdean

Callsign: CAblair
Version: GIT

Postby jamied_uk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:42 am

nice terrasync -p 5500 -S -d "$HOME/fgfsScenery"

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:$HOME/fgfsScenery" --callsign=MultiMedia --multiplay=out,10,mpserver04.flightgear.org,5000 \
--airport=EHLE --runway=28R --aircraft=vulcanb2

and i have tryed

nice terrasync -p 5505 -S -d "$HOME/fgfsScenery"

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5505,udp --fg-scenery="$FG_ROOT/Scenery/:$HOME/fgfsScenery" --callsign=MultiMedia --multiplay=out,10,mpserver04.flightgear.org,5000 \
--airport=EHLE --runway=28R --aircraft=vulcanb2

and yes that response does happen using 5505 but on both atm i have empty pilot list what server do you recomend fr multiplayer?
jamied_uk

Callsign: Multimedia
Version: 191

Postby Blairdean » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 pm

EHLE has runways 05, 05L, 23 & 23L. If you drop off the --runway switch, flightgear will pick the default R/W. ( Failed to find runway 28R at airport EHLE. Using default runway. )

From your username I assume you're in the UK, so mpserver04 is the "right" server for you; "right" being the mpserver geographically closest to you. You will need a multiplay-in switch too. ( --multiplay=in,10,[your client IP here],5000 ) You can check MPserver status' here: http://mpmap01.flightgear.org/mpstatus/.

Oh, trim your callsign to 8 characters

This command line worked for me & I showed up on mpmap. If any pilots are in your local ( virtual ) space, they should show up in your pilot list.

fgfs --atlas=socket,out,1,localhost,5500,udp --fg-scenery="/usr/local/share/flightgear/TerreSync/" --callsign=MultiMed --multiplay=out,10,mpserver04.flightgear.org,5000 \
--multiplay=in,10,ph0006427,5000 --airport=EHLE --aircraft=dhc2F

( ph0006427 is in my hosts file with my IP address. )

Blair
Blairdean

Callsign: CAblair

Postby redneck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:37 am

Aw man! Is this like the third or fourth time I'm going to miss this? Dang it. So much for my super-awesome 3-day/week class schedule....
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby clrCoda » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 am

Blairdean wrote in Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 pm: You will need a multiplay-in switch too. ( --multiplay=in,10,[your client IP here],5000 )
--multiplay=in,10,ph0006427,5000
Blair

Apparently, one can omit the IN. I have flown for these last few months with out it, and still track in the tracker, see myself in the multiplayer map, and still see other pilots. I can not tell you at this time what the IN is for. Some have said that they have a slightly better frame rate with out it. YMMV

Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Trennor_ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 am

WHEN is this running?! Seems to me this topic has gotten seriously off-topic; what started out as what is now a year-old post has turned into a help thread for terrasync?
trennor - Just Another Armchair Pilot

Thanks to all who have helped in the past. One day I'll return the favour.
Trennor_

Callsign: C-TREN, CHT0004
IRC name: trennor
Version: 2016.3.1

Postby redneck » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 am

Oh... so they're not doing this event again. Well, at least I'm not missing it again. At least, not yet, anyway.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Kabuki » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Trennor_ wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 am:WHEN is this running?! Seems to me this topic has gotten seriously off-topic; what started out as what is now a year-old post has turned into a help thread for terrasync?

Hear, hear! I logged into the forum, clicked on "see your messages" to check for replies to my messages, and have been seeing this and a few other topics
every time. Only because I wrote something in this topic a year or so ago.

phpBBS or whatever it's called, is kinda lame as a forum system, IMHO.
This is a family-friendly saloon. No talk stink.
Kabuki

Location: Usually on the ground, always in the sky, except when underwater.
Callsign: Kabuki
Version: 3.0.0

Postby D-79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Trennor_ wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 am:WHEN is this running?!

redneck wrote in Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 am:Oh... so they're not doing this event again. Well, at least I'm not missing it again. At least, not yet, anyway.

We did the event the day it was planned, last year. We did it again on July 10 this year.

I don't think we should fly it again so soon after this, but I thought of something in New Zealand or the Alps, maybe.

David
callsign: D-79
Scenery contributions: EDDM, EDDP, LOWI, ENAL and ENSD, North Sea oil platforms, taxiway signs at EDDF and EDDT
D-79

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events