Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

TransGear Airways 10, Sat May 8th 2010, ALL TIMES UTC...

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: TransGear Airways 10, Sat May 8th 2010, ALL TIMES UTC...

Postby mischka » Sat May 08, 2010 8:30 pm

redneck wrote: And yes, I got your excessively steep approach. I was surprised you made that. I still can't believe you were able to slow down and get it down that fast.

cool... I was surprised too! looking forward to your video ..
Do you fly a lot in Europe? Have a look at European Virtual Airlines
Or do you fly all over the planet? Then have a look at Atlas Virtual Airlines
mischka

Callsign: EUR001

Postby ChocBoy » Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 pm

The event actually turned out being successful for me. But I had quite an adventure:

1. I took off early at KATL. But then I had an AP problem and had to divert back to KIND and restart again.

2. When I got to KIND airspace, the scenery wouldn't load! I kept flying blind, hoping that KIND would be visible. Ended up having to divert to Greenfield airport, west of KIND.

3. My. When I respawned at Greenfield, was it great to see the Indiana plains! Ended up having a smooth flight.

The AP repeatedly failed, though. It just locks up and doesn't let you change modes sometimes!
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby redneck » Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Upload complete!
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby Jester » Sat May 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Quick work, redneck! 8)
I came to write my debriefing, but now I am gonna watch your videos first :mrgreen:
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby redneck » Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Haha. I don't know why they turned out to be rather small files, and therefore uploaded rather quickly. I guess I got lucky on that one. Who knew you could lucky with a TGA event :lol:
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby Jester » Sat May 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Nice stuff, as always. Thank you.
My landing didn't look too bad there (it was worse from cockpit :oops: )
Looks like you have some trouble with 3d clouds, maybe disable them next time. Also, the tower viewpoint is wrong, the tower itself is sometimes blocking your view - consider adjusting it.
Jester

Postby redneck » Sat May 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Jester wrote:Looks like you have some trouble with 3d clouds, maybe disable them next time.

Hmm, the dialog for View>Rendering options is kinda broken. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the 3D clouds.
Jester wrote:Also, the tower viewpoint is wrong, the tower itself is sometimes blocking your view - consider adjusting it.

I'll consider it if you tell me how :)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby Jester » Sat May 08, 2010 11:11 pm

redneck wrote:Hmm, the dialog for View>Rendering options is kinda broken. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with the 3D clouds.

Broken? How? In any case, you can disable clouds via the property browser /sim/rendering/clouds3d-enable. You can of course set that on the command line too, either via --disable-clouds3d or --prop:bool:/sim/rendering/clouds3d-enable=0. It is also automatically stored in autosave.xml, you can simply edit it there.
redneck wrote:
Jester wrote:Also, the tower viewpoint is wrong, the tower itself is sometimes blocking your view - consider adjusting it.

I'll consider it if you tell me how :)

You can use the view menu->adjust view position, if that is not broken and the range is sufficient. Otherwise (you guessed it) use the property nodes /sim/current-view/{x,y,z}-offset-m.
Jester

Postby yourgod » Sat May 08, 2010 11:38 pm

My connection is up for the moment. I actually managed to check in with approach at KATL and get vectored a couple of times, then the connection went down, and went down for the count.

I went ahead and landed on the assigned runway. With the connection still down I just pulled the plug after that..

The transgear site will be spotty until this issue clears up.. I'm hoping they get this fixed asap..
Callsign: YOURGOD, (YOURGO if you only recognize 6 characters)
TransGear Airways site: http://transgear.treborlogic.com/
FG related projects:
Planes: Douglas DC-8-73
Code: Hurricane simulation weather enhancement
yourgod

Callsign: YOURGOD

Postby Jester » Sun May 09, 2010 1:06 am

TGA1290 "Sunshine Express"
Captain's Log, Supplemental

Departed Los Angeles at about 12:10UTC, still before dawn. Had to cheat and set time-of-day, otherwise I couldn't see anything while taxiing. Uneventful flight to Kansas City using STAR Robinson-Three, landing at 13:50UTC. Slightly low on fuel (9 tons or so remaining). Takeoff for the first official TGA leg to Indianapolis at 14:00UTC somewhat behind schedule, but hey, this is a Concorde 8) Used STAR Racyr-One, which is just a straight line. Still, 15 minutes late on landing, because I had to do a missed approach - I couldn't make the turn to final before passing the centerline and by the time I corrected I was too high. Worked better the second time around.

I had set up my virtual cockpit outside on the patio but the weather wasn't cooperating. I thought it was gonna be nice warm as it has been this week, but soon I was freezing ... so I had to move inside. My joystick has an external power supply, and Saitek engineers in their infinite wisdom decided even the USB interface is working from that. As soon as that power goes away, the joystick disconnects ... and FG won't pick it up even if power comes back ("reload input" doesn't work, either. I will take a look at that). That meant I had to restart FG (even though I could carry the laptop without shutting FG down), thereby ruining my wonderful transcontinental flight track. :cry: Anyway, that was a very minor inconvenience, considering FG operated flawlessy all day (more than 7 hours total!).

Departed for Atlanta at 16:05UTC, behind schedule as usual. Passed my "sister" flight of 1190 piloted by Jomo on the way. Had some temporary fgcom problem, but that resolved itself pretty soon. Used SID Dawnn-Three with landing at 17:05UTC. Spent some time by taking pictures and other activities 8) Took off for the final leg to Miami at 17:50UTC via Pnutt-Five. Flight was without problems, via a long Anney-One STAR that has given some sightseeing opportunity along the coast. Touchdown at 19:00UTC. Passengers were not complaining much about the 12 minutes delay, they were more disappointed by the missing terminal building - they had to disembark to a concrete patch :mrgreen:

Today was pretty much perfect for me, even though I wished for some more participants. All the controllers were doing excellent job, thank you.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

All images zipped: part 1 (41MiB), part 2 (45MiB), mpmap shots (27MiB). Timestamps in UTC+2.
Jester

Postby Tuxklok » Sun May 09, 2010 1:09 am

Man that TU154 mp model is ugly...we gotta do something about that. :D

My fg got increasingly unstable on the way to atlanta and I eventually had to kill it, so once again I didn't get to finish. I am cursed when it comes to TGA lately I think.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby ChocBoy » Sun May 09, 2010 2:31 am

Is that a ship you're flying over?
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby Yakko » Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 am

I thought I had posted this but it didn't come thru so I am trying again.....

I didn't have any technical problems - FlightGear 2.0.0 performed properly from KPIT through KIND all the way to KATL, which ended up being the end of my route because of real world obligations for the day. I felt a bit like the odd plane because I was the only one flying between KIND and KATL for the longest time - no one else took off from either airport until I was well over half way through the leg of the route. But I was on my schedule so I just kept on getting it down the line and arrived at KATL perfectly on schedule (I pulled up to the gate right as the clock ticked to 16:40).

FGCom worked well - the only real problem was that at altitude on approach to KIND I had 35 knot crosswinds (down to 20 at the surface) so I was approaching while watching the runway out of my cockpit corner window instead of the front one :)

Apart from that I had perfectly smooth flights all the way...
Flying (mostly) the Lockheed Constellation as YAKKO on MPServers :)
Yakko

Callsign: Yakko
Version: 2017.4

Postby mattt » Sun May 09, 2010 7:19 am

Nobody likes a smartass, Yak :p

I'm glad you mentioned the winds at KIND, though - that wraps up the two "failures" I had which I was yet to try to pinpoint ;-)

Cheers,
Mattt.
FG CVS on: E7400 @ ~3.2ghz, Asus P5e, 4gb RAM, 512mb 8400GS, MS FF Pro, Logitech Illum KB, 2 x 19" LCDs
Favourite aircraft: 737-900ER, 777-200ER, 787, A380, F-14b, F-18, C172p
FGCom usually at 122.75mhz
FGVAS: http://fgvas.mattts.net
mattt

Callsign: Mattt

Postby jomo » Sun May 09, 2010 7:46 am

A little something from the other side of the perspective: This time as TGA1190 instead of ATC.

It was my first time trying to fly the Concorde in a "supervised environment" (not just doing what I want at each point of time) - well it was real work - but wonderful:
    KMIA-KATL: 540 nm, usually 1.49h, takes 51 min
    KATL-KIND: 387 nm, usually 1:26h, takes44 min
    KIND-KMCI: 399 nm, usually 1:29, takes 50 min
Notice: The relation distance to time is somehow odd -- that is because the actually free flying time at 51.000 ft Mach 2 is just between 5 and 15 min - the rest of the time is real hard work in adjusting, fuel management, etc. during climb and descend.! And comparing those 3 leg-times you may notice some "minor" pilot-errors in trimming/adjusting!)
But times work out pretty reliable - and wind does not have a big factor!
Just to keep me inside the normal schedules, fortune decided to let me do some (not included in the times!) "GoArrounds" at each Hub: One caused by a "chopping" FGCOM - so I could not get a "clear to land" - the second because (as an ATC) I like to give 3 to 4 commands in one breath - but got quite confused when trying to follow those from somebody on approach where I was busy withe the bird anyhow (at least this very first time) -- sorry Rob. So that flight over all 3 legs worked out very well technically - but the pilot definitely needs some more training in following advice (as he usually forces onto others --- sorry for that!).

Just for the record: I was all time on MPserver08 - had no problems - except: I do not find any flight-records since 4/1/2010. neither for "jomo" nor for TGA1190.

Just one little question to ATC: I thought somewhere was defined to get arrivals onto the localizer at least 12 nm out - but did not find it written down somewhere. And I know there are "pilots" trying to bring in a 747 on a 90° Base and a 2 mi Final (but never saw an acceptable finish with that!). This route none of my 4 Hub-Approaches intercepted more then 10 mi out - one intercepted even inside the "outer marker" -- especially with that kind of wind and a big bird it is (at least was for me) extremely difficult to straighten out prior touch-down - one Landing i even ended up on the Left instead of the Right runway. (No - you guessed wrong: Of course I asked for permission for that deviation - about 100 feet before touch down!).
I liked it - and I was very tired after that - and need/want to do it again
joe
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events