Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

TransGear Airways, Saturday December 12, ALL TIMES UTC...

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: TransGear Airways, Saturday December 12, ALL TIMES UTC...

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, first, (a) I think he's pretty open about giving permission; and (b) I saw somewhere else that he might be back on board with working within CVS again now that some of the BS with FlightProSim has blown over. I guess I should really have been more careful above when I essentially spoke on his behalf; I was just going by what I picked up from another thread, but I seem to have been mistaken.

On the whole, Liam, I agree that it's a good thing, which is what ultimately kept me on board with submitting my latest scenery work into the database instead of keeping it as a third-party add-on. It stings a little to know that some people are profiting off of my volunteer work, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages, I think.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:29 pm

I love the gpl...for end user software. For artistic assets though I think there are better choices out there personally.

cheers!
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby hovkid » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:49 pm

I've just checked and the DC6 is in CVS, this means its GPL right?
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Yes, everything in CVS is... but there's no guarantee that the version in CVS is the most updated version he's made. Whatever he previously released into the GPL, he cannot "legally" take back -- but he could continue to update and improve it without releasing further improvements into CVS via GPL. That's what I thought his intentions were at one point, but again, I think either I misunderstood them, or he reversed his stance.

At any rate, the "approved list" on the site now contains DL links to the FG repository AND any "private" distribution channels known for each aircraft -- please continue to bring them to my attention as you discover them. Thanks!
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:04 pm

zakalawe wrote:BTW, Jester hacked his FGCom to allow a 100nm range for ATC, and I will be doing the same, the current ranges are ridiculous for jet ATC operations.

Tuxklok wrote:I've done this as well, it's very simple to do(just change one define in fgcom.h). I was very tempted to do this with the fgcom build included with fgcomgui, but I didn't want to confuse matters where different people have different ranges, different frequencies, etc, depending on version and build of fgcom they are using.

Tux, how do you feel about putting together and sending me a win32-compatible build with this adjustment included, which I would host and/or link to on the TGA site?
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby MD-Terp » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Jester wrote:During my prep flight for tomorrow I noticed some of the fixes had bad location. It turns out I have messed up the coordinate conversion for fixes with single-digit minutes :oops:
I hope I have the correct version now - download here. I wouldn't want to see anybody fly into a mountain.

Jester or Yakko -- can one of you send me a "fixed" (pun inteded) fix.dat.gz with the *new, corrected* KSLC waypoints PLUS the missing ones Yakko put in, that I can post on the TGA website for future use? I would do it myself but I can't seem to determine what options I should stick into 7-zip to create a .gz in the same format that FG expects. When I do it, the result is an unreadable file. Thanks for any help you or anyone can provide!
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby Tuxklok » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:12 pm

MD-Terp wrote:
zakalawe wrote:BTW, Jester hacked his FGCom to allow a 100nm range for ATC, and I will be doing the same, the current ranges are ridiculous for jet ATC operations.

Tuxklok wrote:I've done this as well, it's very simple to do(just change one define in fgcom.h). I was very tempted to do this with the fgcom build included with fgcomgui, but I didn't want to confuse matters where different people have different ranges, different frequencies, etc, depending on version and build of fgcom they are using.

Tux, how do you feel about putting together and sending me a win32-compatible build with this adjustment included, which I would host and/or link to on the TGA site?

Maybe it's time I do a little work on fgcomgui and put out another build. There's a couple little features I'd like to add, and while I'm at it I might as well patch fgcom to increase range and add some missing frequencies I guess. Windows guys will get it out of the box, and the *nix/osx guys can apply the patch and rebuild as well. Might cause some minor confusion at first but should resolve itself quick enough I imagine.
The Austria Scenery Project - more info
fg-scenery-tools - gitorious | videos
fgcomgui - Open source, cross platform, gui front end for fgcom. more info

More random musings and doings can be found on my personal site. (work in progress)
Tuxklok

Callsign: Tuxklok / N1292P

Postby Jester » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:44 am

MD-Terp wrote:Jester or Yakko -- can one of you send me a "fixed" (pun inteded) fix.dat.gz with the *new, corrected* KSLC waypoints PLUS the missing ones Yakko put in, that I can post on the TGA website for future use?

As far as I can see there were 4 fixes added for KBWI, I appended them to my version. Grab the updated file here.
Note: the TGA website incorrectly links apt.dat.gz.
By the way, FG is happy to load an uncompressed fix.dat file, so anybody who likes messing with the entries can keep it in plain text.
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby MD-Terp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 am

Thanks for the update. I'll post this file and make the fix to the link.

As for the format, I tried what you suggested after discovering it would not read my re-compressed fix.dat.gz, and it still did not work. Maybe it's a windows-specific problem?
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby Jester » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:24 am

Sounds like your file is somehow corrupted (not related to the compression).
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby MD-Terp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 am

Hmm. Well it's a moot point now... I've posted the updated one you made :) Thanks.
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Previous

Return to Multiplayer events