Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Wednesday evening session discussion thread.

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Wednesday evening session discussion thread.

Postby TheEagle » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 pm

MariuszXC wrote in Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 pm:As for negative offset.. wouldn't it make them disappear under the field surface?

If you do it too much yes - I was speaking about an inch or so :wink: !
MariuszXC wrote in Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 pm:when tuning the heading and location after initial object placement, the object would start to partially disappear under the surface it was placed at. I had to apply very slight elevation adjustments to keep them wholy visible. No idea why, perhaps the 'ground' surface is not flat?

Show me one single place on earth that is EXACTLY horizontal … You'll have this problem with every very flat model, because sadly no pitch and roll is saved in the .stg files :roll: :cry:
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 am

TheEagle wrote in Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 pm:Show me one single place on earth that is EXACTLY horizontal … You'll have this problem with every very flat model, because sadly no pitch and roll is saved in the .stg files :roll: :cry:

Yeah, I know Earth is a Geoid (roughly a sphere) and all that ;-)
However, the length of the band object is a couple of meters. With the radius of Earth of almost 6400km and treating the length of bar object as an arc chord, the height of arc seems negligible and the placement area should be considered 'flat' for all practical purposes. No?

It looked rather as if the rotation axis was not exactly perpendicular to the placement surface, or as if there was some extra effect at play, adding bumpiness to the grass runway.
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby TheEagle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: No, I didn't mean the curvature of earth; I meant little hills and valleys and bumps and holes and such things :wink: !
Runways are often sloped or tilted, but the pitch and roll of objects isn't saved in the STG files, so, on a sloped terrain, you'll always have to put one side of your moel into the earth to have the other side be level with the terrain ! :roll: But you could define a rotate animation in the model's XML file.
Last edited by Johan G on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire preceding post.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby benih » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm

I tried to summarize our fun tomorrow: viewtopic.php?p=387790#p387790
Please do proofreading.

Open questions for me are:
- Weather/time: should we do some more bad weather? (this is directed mostly to Marius, as he knows the scenery). I would love some bad weather, but only if it doesn't spoil the scenery
- Comms:
  • I opted for the fallback Jitsi, but would prefer mumble.
  • If mumble: When some other people would want to try/use fgcom-mumble, i would propose we use fgcom-mumble on my test server - it is compatible to stable clients, so if we use mumble the fgcom-mumble folks could have radio stuff and still be able to hear others when enabling in the ini file

So for getting the needed info, please tell:
- which starting place do you intent to use
- which plane are you using
- which comms you would prefer (choices: Jitsi, mumble, fgcom-mumble)

Depending on that we can decide tomorrow.
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby benih » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:49 pm

GA_Stand_2

C182S

in order: fgcom-mumble, mumble, Jitsi

(edit: it may be the case that i must bail out on short notice for expected/anticipated health reasons involving a needle.)
benih

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:44 pm

benih wrote in Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm:I tried to summarize our fun tomorrow: viewtopic.php?p=387790#p387790
Open questions for me are:
- Weather/time: should we do some more bad weather? (this is directed mostly to Marius, as he knows the scenery). I would love some bad weather, but only if it doesn't spoil the scenery

Well, I was going to suggest fair weather or perhaps border of a high pressure region and afternoon time.
The border of a high pressure makes sky nice and interesting, while afternoon gives lower light, in which mountains look even more spectacular. However, I just checked and there mightbe a bug in FG time zone definition? Poland has nominal time zone of UTC+1, with additional +1 hour in summertime, but I see:

and this might be too late for nice end-of-afternoon landing.

Since this flight is designed partially around instrument flying, we might opt to split the weather and fly first leg in marginal vfr and the second in something nicer, for scenery. What do you think?

- Comms:
  • I opted for the fallback Jitsi, but would prefer mumble.
  • If mumble: When some other people would want to try/use fgcom-mumble, i would propose we use fgcom-mumble on my test server - it is compatible to stable clients, so if we use mumble the fgcom-mumble folks could have radio stuff and still be able to hear others when enabling in the ini file

So for getting the needed info, please tell:

Depending on that we can decide tomorrow.

I will use Apron stand 1 if not yet claimed, otherwise will spawn and move out of the way.
Cessna 172p - for mountain flying the 'hide cockpit' view can not be beaten :) and the IFR training view is perfect for instrument flying.
I'll be on jitsi and will try to connect to mumble, but with a stable client. I wasn't able to compile the recent version.
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby benih » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Since this flight is designed partially around instrument flying, we might opt to split the weather and fly first leg in marginal vfr and the second in something nicer, for scenery. What do you think?

Great! I ammended my post.

For the time: Just let me know what you do come up with - you can also just give ma a suitable insim UTC time :)
benih

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:31 pm

So let us set in sim time to have 18:00 _local_ time in LZTT at departure.
I think light, weathet etc. act on local area time?
INOP
MariuszXC

Postby benih » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:34 pm

OK, post amended.
For me the 18:00 local setting equals my (german) timezone, so i actually can use "real clock time" :)

I think light, weathet etc. act on local area time?

Yes, it does.
benih

Postby TheEagle » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:47 pm

I'll bring the Cessna 172p (or if that crashes my PC, the Pilatus PC-6) on last stand (whichever that is - I didn't have the time to try it out )
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
TheEagle

Postby Volador » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:17 am

I'll bring a c172 stand 3 :)

[edit] is the plan wheels up at 18:00 UTC? if it is a long flight I feel we should be prompt
- if anyone would like to chat and plan from 17:30 UTC I will try for that on mumble/jitsi.
I do have a couple of questions:
1. In the shorthand what does the F mean? eg Vor R273F ("from"? but how do you set up to get this information)
2. is PW and PPD - are they beacon names
3. @dist (distance) is that a measurement to or from (I'm guessing "from" as it makes sense) and there is a device on the C172 that only comes on then goes off that has mins / kts - is that the device to use?

sorry for all the questions - some of this is new to me.
I will also put a beer in the fridge for the half way break :D
Volador

Callsign: Volador, G-VLDR

Postby benih » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:50 am

Chris,
1. yes „f“ means from. You do not tune that directly, just set the radial using the obs knob at the cdi gauge. The device will figure out on its own, if you are to/from in relation to it. Here you are expected to be on the from-side (so flying the selected course will take you away from the tuned vor)

2. yes they are

3. its the distance between you and the vor station. You can display that information in the DME device in your cockpit. The kts info that’s on it shows your speed as measured from the vor-dme (not every vor has a dme signal!), which is not the same as airspeed. I don’t know from my head, but believe you can also switch the dme to show „mins“ which is the time to/from the vor-dme based on the distance and speed

If i can make it early, i can show it to you.
benih

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:04 pm

I'll join on GA_Stand_1 with the Piper PA28 Warrior II!
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby powoflight » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Hi everybody

Can I fly with you? That would be the first multiplayer event for me. The only plane i can somehow fly is the dhc6. would that be ok? Except for the A320.
The landings are ridiculous so far, I think everyone is laughing.
I always fight with the chessna 172. Don't ask me why. in LZRR I only found 5 GA parkings? Is that enough for us
17.30 UTC should be 8.30 p.m. (Austrian / German). i installed the jits app on my smartphone. I think this should work? Are there any experiences? Until now I haven't installed mumble because I didn't need it.

vis check: entering valley
vis check: passing over lakes

HDG 360 + NDB PW BRG 180, EXP DSC 3500ft

This line is a mystery to me.
HDG 360 + NDB PW BRG 180
Maybe go north until NDB PW shows 180 degrees. But it doesn't make sense to me
EXP DESC: go down ASAP

Greetings powoflight
powoflight

Callsign: OE-POW

Postby benih » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

Sure you can join! You can grab my parking slot (ga-stand-2), i will join near you then.

Time for meetup is 1730, i live in germany that is currently gmt+2, making it 1930 local time. Recheck your timezone ;)

Jitsi: i usually join with the browser.

C172: if you tell us what exactly makes you struggle, we can surely help. Dhc6 could probably work, but i think we are slower.

The HDG line: i read it as: „as soon as I am over the lake, fly 360; when the ndb PW is on my 6, start descend.
benih

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events