Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

FlightNight August 29th: The Hump

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

FlightNight August 29th: The Hump

Postby Warty » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:20 pm

The Hump was the name given by Allied pilots in the Second World War to the eastern end of the Himalayan Mountains over which they flew aircraft from India to China.

See here for details

http://fguk.me/forum/saturday-night-flying/8617-flightnight-august-29th-the-hump
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Re: FlightNight August 29th: The Hump

Postby OOZVY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:33 am

good morning,
regarding your post on http://fguk.me/forum/saturday-night-fly ... h-the-hump about VECA altitude, I found all normal and as expected on my flightgear.

Using live data and QNH 1003, altimeter show 380 fts. Maybe you have an issue inserting manual input for your QNH 1005 ...

OOZVY

Postby Warty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at this and to respond. To say "Maybe you have an issue inserting manual input for your QNH 1005" is probably an understatement :lol: The weather system moves in mysterious ways and the more I look into it the more of a mystery it becomes to me. These are just my thoughts on this, I do not claim to be an expert:

Firstly, your settings are for Basic Weather. I agree that this gives an indicated alt of what it should be (about 380ft) at VECA. AFAIK this means there will be not be the thunderclouds, lightning, rain, and more importantly gusting/veering wind that is envisaged for the FlightNight scenario. However, setting detailed weather + Live Data doesn't change the Alt readings for me (today!).

But with the custom METAR I get about 1080 ft at VECA. A curious thing was that Basic Weather -> Manual Configuration --> QNH (inHg) was reading 28.8995 which is about 979 mb
If I go to Equipment -> Instrument settings and put 979 mb values into it the altimeter is accurate.

Alternatively if I change Basic Weather -> Manual Configuration --> QNH (inHg) to 29.68 (ie: Q1005), then CLOSE it
I can set Equipment -> Instrument settings and put 1005 mb into it and it works ok

It appears that this Basic Weather -> Manual Configuration --> QNH (inHg) value is not being set up properly.
Pasting the METAR directly into the fgfs launcher gives a better result (720 ft at VECA)

Going back and choosing detailed weather + Live Data for VECA I saw that Basic Weather -> Manual Configuration --> QNH (inHg) got set to 29.5682 As if by magic! It cannot be a coincidence. This is 1001 which is close to what live data is (Q1002 as I write).

Strange, or what?

I decided against live weather for various reasons, including:
    FlightNights are a fixed duration and, without a decent tailwind it would not be possible with these aircraft.
    The custom-scenery half-time break landing zone is impractical without a decent headwind at about 40 deg.
    This 40 deg wind also makes the takeoff and landing runways (including diversion ones in India) more practical.
One thing that seems to have been overlooked by me (amongst many others beforehand) is what is shown clearly near to your "Basic Weather" selection which says:
"Recommended for use with Multiplayer". Maybe that is the way to go. This one works quite well:

Warty

Postby OOZVY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:48 pm

hello,
I tried different settings and il's always show right altitude on the altimeter. Only remark is that if a QNH is inserted in the 'basic troposphere weather condition', the METAR QNH seems to be overrided.

Using linux / flightgear V2019.1.2
OOZVY

Postby OOZVY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Is there a restriction on the AC we can use tomorrow ? I would like to fly the Lockheed P 38 BARANGER Emmanuel as this one is already customized for my hardware...
OOZVY

Postby Warty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Weatherwise it is certainly tricky. I would only suggest that it will be easier for you if you can set it up so that you have a wind from about 040 deg at about 40knots.

The reason for the limitation of aircraft is so that other participants can see you properly. If you come along in something different then it means that everyone else needs to download and install your particular aircraft. Personally, my view is that the MPServer is free to all but you may well just be blanked/ignored if you do. This could not stop you joining in though.

I am using the FGUK P-38L from here:

http://fguk.me/hangar/military-piston/download/2-military-piston/580-davinci-p-38l

It says the authors are Vodoun daVinci, FGUK Dream Dev. Team with Geed, Stuart C. and Algernon. Emmanuel Baranger, Gerrard Robin, using Freeware 3D Model from Fly Away Simulations!

So it might be possible for you to use this without too much hassle. Just saying :wink:
Warty

Return to Multiplayer events