Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Glider meeting?!

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Glider meeting?!

Postby OE-LML » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:14 pm

Hallo!

At the moment I'm quite fed up with flying noisy, airpolluting, chemtrail spreading airliners or rattling, leaded fuel burning, primeval carburetor engine equipped propeller planes in FG. :wink: :P :mrgreen:

So I have found a new love: Flying gliders.

What is better than enjoying the noiseless, mother nature not harming archetype of aviation? ... Enjoying it with some fellow pilots.
And there are so many nice airfields for gliders in the Alps like LOWI, LOIJ, LOWZ, LOSM, LOGO, LOXA and so on, which invite to distance flights.

What do you think, is there a potential for a glider meeting/event?

The less expirienced would stay near the field learning the basics, the pros gather around and go on to their common destination.
But of course the rattling, leaded fuel burning, primeval carburetor engine equipped propeller planes would be very welcome too and might tow the gliders.

So ... let me know what you think about that.

CU.
OE-LML

Re: Glider meeting?!

Postby Oswald » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi OE-LML,
I'm interested, though I haven't yet managed to fly thermals in flightgear.
The Alps or anywhere where it is possible to put a decent wind to a long ridge soaring might be fine?

Oswald
Oswald

Postby OE-LML » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Hallo, Oswald!

I'm a beginner too, but soaring is not that difficult.
Have a look at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Soaring. Especially the "Sources of lift" and "Setting the weather/Advanced weather" section is very interesting. :wink:
Also look at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Weather. Here mainly the "Advanced weather" section.

CU.
OE-LML

Postby OE-LML » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Too bad that there is only limited interest. :cry:

Anyway ... if you see a lonely heart in a glider somewhere in the Alps during afternoons and evenings CE(S)T - it might be me.
If you wanna tow or get towed or just fly together, feel free to join me.

CU. :wink:
OE-LML

Postby Isaak » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:45 pm

It's been a long time since I took a glider, but I can enjoy doing a cross country in the alps. The upcoming week is a bit busy, but maybe afterwards we could meet up.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby Oswald » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:08 pm

CET is fine, if you know that you are quite likely to go soaring and like to have someone to join, give me a pm. If I get and read it in advance and have time, I'd be happy to join.
If so: I had a few nice flights with the ASW 28, any other gliders you'd recommend and I should download? Communication via mumble?
Maybe we might get together some night.

Yours, Oswald
Oswald

Postby OE-LML » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Hallo!

Great.

In general I am online regularly, but not daily.
At the moment it's a bit difficult for me to state in advance when and at which day I will be online.
Especially if there is fair weather, I will enjoy the sun in real life. :wink:
Just take a quick look at the MP online map if I'm there or not.

[...] any other gliders you'd recommend [...]

Currently I'm using the ASK 21 (because it has quite high ratings). It's a nice plane, but I have to try out all the others too. Take whatever you want, it's totally up to you.

CU.

PS: I forgot: If you don't see any OE-LML, there might be a guy called xyz. He is a "very good friend of mine". As I know him, he too will be pleased to have company. :wink: :D :mrgreen: :P
PPS: Sometime if there is interest in a real official big-ass glider meeting, just let me know and we can determine a fixed date and time.
OE-LML

Postby OE-LML » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Thanks for the spontanous flight today. :D :wink:
OE-LML

Postby Oswald » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks to you, it was fun and we should repeat it!
Oswald

Postby C-FABP » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 am

I would be interested in joining the gliding group some time. I'm usually up and functioning enough to fly by around 1800-2000 UTC.

I've been mostly flying around BC, Canada lately, so that may be another option for when you want a change from the Alps :)
C-FABP

Callsign: C-FABP
Version: 2019.2.0

Return to Multiplayer events