Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Turboprop traffic

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Turboprop traffic

Postby phineaspgage » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 pm

The only aircraft I can operate with any competency in FG is the Diamond Twin Star DA-42, a twin engine turboprop that flies comfortably at about 120 knots. I enjoy maneuvering with multiple aircraft aloft and wonder if there are specific locations/airports where pilots of small propeller-driven aircraft like to fly? I've been in busy airspace awash with jets, but I feel a little out of place (and in the real world, not appropriately positioned). Any suggestions for small airfields where multiple players congregate is appreciated.
-FG618
phineaspgage

Re: Turboprop traffic

Postby tdammers » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Outside of organized events, my experience has been that this is practically unheard of. People on MP who are looking for somewhat realistic interaction will generally fly into or out of controlled airports, and those are almost invariably larger airports, and the pilots joining are mostly flying airliners. However, almost all ATC out there will happily handle small, slow GA aircraft - traffic density is never anywhere near realistic, so most ATC see slow prop aircraft as a welcome challenge. Depending on the amount of realism aimed for by the controller, they may assign you a different runway; e.g., at EHAM, you may get runway 04/22, at EDDF it would be 07R/25L.

If you want more traffic and more realism, consider flying on VATSIM - the majority of aircraft there is going to be airliners, but people do fly GA aircraft too, there are GA events, you sometimes see controllers at smaller airfields (especially during the busy European evening hours), there are even special VFR events every now and then, and the network is just more crowded in general.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby phineaspgage » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for your reply, tdammers. All very helpful.
phineaspgage

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Innsbruck (LOWI), Bolzano (LIPB), Samedan (LSZS), Sion (LSGS), Aosta (LIMW) - all very nice places for GA trips between this airports in probably best developed sceneries in FG. The Alps are beautifull...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby jomo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:22 am

Sounds good - even better: http://www.emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/Alp-flying.pdf

Try it - but better not with a Concorde!
have fun
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:07 am

jomo :
Innsbruck, Aosta and Sion - no problem with Concorde, Samedan possible, but risky, Bolzano only with strong headwind, 1300 meters is simply too short for this bird. Take off from Bolzano is possible too, but with only 20 tons FOB, #4 on 106% from zero speed, CG by fuel ballance max back, nose up and visor up on take off. In FSX / PMDG I routinely flying to Bolzano with 737-800 NGX, using STAR FORE1B (ALESE-VIC-FORER) and LOC DME rwy 01 approach. Sometime I will try make some videos from this trip.
This is my favourite 738 trip LOWI-LIPB - https://skyvector.com/?ll=46.4441500264 ... RER%20LIPB
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Multiplayer events