Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Introduction to OPRF squadrons

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Introduction to OPRF squadrons

Postby Reaper » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Dear OPRF pilots,

I have been thinking about adding squadrons to the FlightGear Operation Red Flag Military Group. I developed this idea into an solid plan: specific squadron tasks, rules, and organisation. You can read all plans and information in this post.

RULES:
- You must obtain the OPRF general rules.
- You may be member of multiple squadrons, but you have to be able to fulfill their task correctly. The squadron leader will decide whether you can join or not.
- Squadron ranks (note: ask pinto for your up-to-date rank):
--- The minimum rank to join one or multiple squadrons is 1st Lieutenant.
--- The minimum rank for squadron leader of one squadron is Captain.
--- The minimum rank for squadron leader of multiple squadrons is Major.
--- The minimum rank for wing leader of one wing is Brigadier General.
--- The minimum rank for wing leader of multiple wings is Major General.
- There is no limit of joined squadrons (yet), you can join as much as you want. However, as said before, you need to fulfill the squadron mission.
- In contrast to the previous rule, you cannot join two squadrons with the same overall task.
- To be a squadron leader, you have to be often online and very involved.

SQUADRON TASKS:
- AWACS/refueler
- Heavy Bombers
- (Troop) Transport (rotary and/or fixed wing)
- Medical Assistance
- Fighters (offensive)
- Fighters (defensive)
- Heavy Attack (A-10)
- Medium Attack (F-16, JAS-37, ect.)
- SEAD
- Aggressor

SQUADRON ORGANISATION:
As there are probably many members who are capable of Fighter (offensive), Fighter (defensive), and Medium Attack there will probably be multiple squadrons tasked the same. As said before, you cannot join two of these squadrons with the same overall task.
It is also expected that some squadrons will be smaller, for instance Heavy Bombers or Medical Assistance, partly because of lack of interest, partly because of complicated aircraft. Therefore, some squadrons may be merged, trying to match the tasks of these squadrons as well as possible. If you want to join a merged squadron, you only have to be capable of the task you intended to do. Only a squadron leader has to be capable of all the tasks.

Because of the fact that not everyone is capable of flying all OPRF-aircraft, squadrons may fly more types of aircraft than in real life. However, if there is another squadron primarily flying the aircraft.

SQUADRON NAMES:
All squadrons will be based on real squadrons. A merged squadron will be based on multiple real squadrons, under the name of a fictional squadron. You can (and I patiently ask you to) submit a squadron, there will be a big chance you become in charge of that squadron.

LIST OF SUBMITTED SQUADRONS:
- 493FS (USAF); Fighters (offensive), Fighters (defensive)
- 510FS (USAF); Medium Attack, Fighters (defensive); Assisting: Medical Assistance, Troop Transport
- 313sqn (RNLAF); Medium Attack, Fighter (defensive); Assisting: Medical Assistance, Troop Transport

I hope you all like this idea!
Kind regards, Reaper
Reaper

Callsign: NEL-996
Version: 2019.2.0

Re: Introduction to OPRF squadrons

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm

I think an aerobatics team would be a nice idea - there are plenty of aircraft such as the Cap-10C :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:06 pm

I am quite sure you would get more response and a more productive discussion on the Operation Red Flag (OPRF) forums.

Edit: Never mind. I see that you have already done that, and I also see that it their forum is not quite as active as I had thought.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby PINTO » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:28 am

Johan - most of our discussion has moved to Discord, we largely only use the forums to announce events and keep track of hours. We are still quite active. :)
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Johan G » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:43 pm

PINTO wrote in Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:28 am:We are still quite active. :)

That is a welcome relief. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Reaper » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:01 pm:I think an aerobatics team would be a nice idea - there are plenty of aircraft such as the Cap-10C :)

Yeah, I will also add a reconnaissance squadron :D
Parvus Numero, Magnus Merito
Reaper

Callsign: NEL-996
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Johan G » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Reaper wrote in Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am:[...] I will also add a reconnaissance squadron :D

Too bad I have such old hardware. Tactical reconnaissance seem to be fun: Plan a route to target, fly low and fast, spend a few seconds over the target and get back home with the data.

Should be more interesting if one mixes in other (sometimes bad :twisted: ) intel into the mix, like pilot reports, radar tracks, radars and SAM sites found through ELINT, etc. Dodging SAM sites would be even more challenging if acquisition radars would not be found by ELINT due to only being on when spotters have seen or heard aircraft in the close vicinity (a tactic sometimes used).
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Return to Multiplayer events