Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

[POLL] Selecting the Fall Festival location

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Where would you like the event to happen?

Poll ended at Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Spain and Portugal (re-edition first event in 2014)
4%
BENELUX states (Belgium, Netherlands actual FS Weekend, Luxembourg)
22%
France
13%
Germany
17%
Greece
43%

Total votes : 23

[POLL] Selecting the Fall Festival location

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 pm

This is it, I said a number of times I will take care again of the Festival and this is a start. So, pick your desired location!
Cheers, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: [POLL] Selecting the Fall Festival location

Postby daweed » Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 am

Hello,

If enough controllers could be available, the event could take place above all these countries and not one, this could allow a lot of cross-country stops, but it depends on the number of controllers available.
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby V12 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:52 pm

I'm voting for Greece.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm

daweed wrote in Tue May 07, 2019 10:20 am:Hello,
If enough controllers could be available, the event could take place above all these countries and not one, this could allow a lot of cross-country stops, but it depends on the number of controllers available.

Not a bad idea that of having multiple locations for long flights. Maybe we can pick something like macro areas or such.
Btw my intention IF I am able to find the time to organize this upcoming Festival is to redefine it if not entirely at least make it different. I'd focus less on the ATC part which is how it had been done so far and which somehow I regret being one of those who actually made it that way back in 2014 but concentrate on planning sort of fly-ins, mini-events, airport air shows/gatherings, etc. which might ALSO feature ATC control but not just giving a locations and a list of controlled airports to fly from/to. IIRC that was the original aim of the Festival which then evolved in what we had till a few editions ago when it IMO started to fail its purpose of just gather people for a weekend and enjoy some flying.
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Johan G » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 am

I hope I do not get too off topic.

J Maverick 16 wrote in Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm:[...] fly-ins, mini-events, airport air shows/gatherings, etc. [...]
[...] gather people for a weekend and enjoy some flying.

Years ago there was nearly weekly planned events, often about 1-2 hour long and like what you mention above. Some was very informal, some more formal (like the various flying clubs with preplanned routes, not unlike the FGUK weekly events these days), some even more formal (like the Salt Lake City fly-ins with ATC). Aircraft was often mainly in size from C172 up to Twin Otter size. As always with online events time zones was often an issue, sometimes resulting in that there would be different events for different times zones.

Some of the events I have found memories of was Fjords of Norway and the various Grand Canyon events. Looking through old forum topics one of the bigger ones with most preparation was probably the memorial flight celebrating 75 years since the first flight of the Spitfire and one of the more silly ones was probably the Snow plow jumping competition. :wink:

The smallest place for a fly-in event was probably Little Hands airstrip. :wink: :lol:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Multiplayer events