Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

World's Challenging Approaches - 12 |SEQU|06-04-2019|16:00Z|  Topic is solved

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: World's Challenging Approaches - 12 |SEQU|06-04-2019|16:

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:22 pm

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:We are in 2019 now and there is no longer any excuse for the blue glider in the MP environment for any user at all.

sure there is... it doesn't matter if it is 2019, 1919 or 3019... the blue glider is there specifically to present something in place of a craft you do not have available in your FG installation...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:You have your Flightgear core developers who don't even visit the Flightgear forums, pushing out releases that don't even address the core issues that the user base has been struggling with for a very long time (like a half decade, at least).

the core's projected path is different than your's (inclusive)... that path may change at any time... nothing is set in stone... one can easily see this with the three (soon to be four) rendering routes currently available in FG...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:And then when one of those end users mentions the problem in forum, that user is suddenly made to feel stupid for having brought it up.

that mostly depends on how it is brought up... word choices matter ;)

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:As well as imposing some new Quality Control standards on aircraft and MP in Flightgear, how about beginning to impose some new Quality Control standards over those who wish to be Flightgear Core Developers?

who is going to enforce that? you're talking about adding yet another job to the list of things to do with only a select few to do them...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:That's the true direction needed to begin to clean up Flightgear's act in the greater global Flightsim community.

personally, i don't see a problem with the current direction and method of travel... then again, i've been here for like four years now and i pay attention to the mailing list as well as these forums...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:"Flightgear core developers usually don't visit the forum" is what we see now.

What a disgrace.

no, it is not... it is a conscious decision they made... the forums are full of general posts and whatnot that they don't need to wade through... their time is better spent working on their areas of the code they choose to work on... no one has the right or control to force folks to work on things they do not want to work on... this is not a corporate entity and there's certainly no $$$ being paid to the developers or the project...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:In Flightgear, cultivate a culture of more responsible core developers, or let Flightgear die its deserved natural death in the flight sim world.

that's not going to happen... is that (killing off flightgear) your goal? if not, then why even mention it? FG has been growing for 20 years and finding its way for all that time... just like thousands of other projects... would you kill them off, too?
Last edited by wkitty42 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:30 pm

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:30 pm:
it0uchpods wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:48 pm:I should also point out that there are no standards in FGAddon except license requirement... there are some planes there that do not even have any sort of cockpit or even 2D panel, and I believe there was 1 or 2 that crash FG when loaded due to mistakes in formatting an XML file.

BINGO! Add some requirements related to MP. Developers, start here, some basic standards, please, related to MP compatibility!

remember, not all craft in FG are complete... quite many are still WIP... then there are the ones that are FDM only with not even a 2D or 3D model... there's nothing wrong with these craft... FG is used for a lot more than just desk-jockeys wanting to fly about in a simulated world with simulated craft... there are numerous industries using FG and even parts of FG to develop and work with their own products... there is nothing wrong with this, either...

the main thing to remember is that FG is a simulator, not a game and certainly not restricted in what it can be used for... there are corporate entities using FG to drive their motion simulators to train people for the real craft... one could even use it for driver training of large cargo transport vehicles if they wanted to... they only need a good FDM to simulate the vehicle and its actions on the terrain... in other words, FG is good for a lot more than just flying...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:01 pm:Josh, to whom did you address your post?

If you addressed your post to me, I have to tell you, I don't know what you are talking about, this terminology "burning aircraft" and "vertical wings sunken below".

As for me, I don't even know what you mean.

then you are not following along and reading back in the topic properly...

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:36 pm:And from your post, I cannot even determine to whom you addressed your post.

it was a direct response to your statement you made after josh wrote that about the properties sent over MP...you even quoted his entire post instead of only what you were responding to... he gave a valid example (as i gave several more of) and your response was

FlyingHigh wrote in Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 pm:Josh: think " buffered tag matching script"

It's not a terrible idea.
It's not only a great idea, but in fact the perfect idea to solve this particular problem in Flightgear at this time.

thanks Josh (but no thanks :) )

so did you even read what josh wrote after it was pointed out that something has already been done to handle the problem and it is now up to the craft developers to catch up with what the sim can do? again, i point out that there are a lot of cats in this herd that you are trying to push along some trail they don't know or agree with...

PS: you really should learn how to edit the quotes instead of quoting everything and replying to one part... just like learning the sim and the craft, one should also learn the forum software and how to properly quote and respond inline... yes, it requires understanding bbcode and how the tags work...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Previous

Return to Multiplayer events