Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Weather settings for MP?

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Weather settings for MP?

Postby tdammers » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:03 pm

So far, I have always used "live weather" when flying MP, with the assumption that that was what everyone else was using, and so you'd all get the same weather conditions. This is particularly important when flying at ATC sessions, because when ATC gives you a wind check, you want that to match your actual flying conditions (e.g., it sucks to get a wind check from ATC that doesn't match your own weather settings).

However, now that the hardcoded non-TLS URL for live METARs no longer works, you need to run a patched FG release, or an unreleased development version, to use live weather, which I believe isn't something everyone out there is currently doing. Personally, I have patched FG; since I'm running my own build anyway, this was a small effort, but I understand that it'd be a daunting task for a non-technical user.

So what's the current convention? Should I be using live weather on MP? Or should I switch to, idk, "fair weather", and wait for the next FG release? Or is this something that gets decided per MP event, in which case I think it'd be nice to somehow advertise the recommended setting somewhere?
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Re: Weather settings for MP?

Postby jomo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:54 pm

At least for ATC events there is help: The OpenRadar Weather is working correct. ATC can distribute a correct ATIS
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby tdammers » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Great, so using "live weather" will work as it should then. Thanks!
tdammers

Postby V12 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Sometime I ask ATC for ground speed check, ATCs with OpenRadar reports GS equal to value what I see on the Concorde's INS, I'm using Live advanced weather with waypoint wind aloft, tile source METAR.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby tdammers » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 pm

GS is always going to match though, because it is calculated from your position relative to the Earth, which is what gets sent over MP. So even if you have a 40 kt tailwind locally, and the ATC has you on a 40 kt headwind, your ground speed will still match. True airspeed however will differ by 80 kt. And if you ask for a wind check, you'll get their weather, not yours.
tdammers

Postby V12 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 am

OK, thx for explanation.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Return to Multiplayer events