Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Flightgear air race league

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Flightgear air race league

Postby lomar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Hello, friends.

I've had an idea this week and would like to discuss it with you.
So, iv' started competing on racing simulators(like rfactor and Asseto Corsa) last year, and got in touch with how their player organize leagues and events, and started thinking if the same kind of organization could work on FG.
My idea is to start an Air Race League on FG, with a regular season with events being taken regularly along the year(or a semester, we could discuss this). These events will award points to the pilots, and the pilot with more points at the end of the season will be declared champion.

Here are some of the things i wanted to do in this project:
-gather some interested pilots and make a test event
-create a board of admins to organize the league
-create a website for the pilots to sign up and submit and download liveries, and get the custom sceneries and addons
-improve the Edge 540(model and FDM), and create the other aircraft used in the real thing(edge v2, edge v3, MXS-R, i know there's some work out there on the EA300)
-create a youtube channel for promotional content and maybe broadcast the events live
-improve the circuits already present on FG and create newer ones(i'm particularly interested on Budapest and Indy)
-on the long term, if more people gather around, create a masters division and a challenger division, on a less powered aircraft

So, is someone here interested? would you like to race on FG??
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Re: Flightgear air race league

Postby cptRon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Sounds interesting. Coincidentally I also had the idea recently and was going to start a thread before I found yours.

I was also thinking about adding different classes somehow. so you could be racing cap10 style aircraft class or all the way up to fighter jet class. Or even slower aircraft classes, just like you would have in any racing game or sim.

Also have iconic courses, like the mach loop, perhaps some other canyon runs through the Alps or Himalayas. My personal preference is to emphasize high speed low level flying. Though some higher altitude more acrobatic events are also interesting. Actually, it just occurred, if a fighter jet class( or something with those sort of power to weight ratios ) could be achieved you could have a course with some wild changes in altitude.

though I completely understand if you wish to keep it strictly analogous to real world aircraft racing.

So to sum up, I'm interested, yes!
cptRon

Postby PINTO » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Disclaimer: I've spent several 10's of hours racing in FG using the Zivko Edge and the Red Bull (RBAR) format, and probably another 10 hours or so doing the Reno format. The RBAR format races are, hands down, the most difficult things to do in FlightGear.

lomar wrote in Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:37 pm:Hello, friends.
-improve the Edge 540(model and FDM), and create the other aircraft used in the real thing(edge v2, edge v3, MXS-R, i know there's some work out there on the EA300)

The Edge 540 FDM is already a 5/5 rated. It has been used by the pilots who actually race in Red Bull, and they have given feedback/approved of it. Also, any additions to the 3D should be very lightweight so as to minimize the impact on peoples computers. You need at least 30 frames per second to do RBAR well. The only things I would do would be add mixture/feather levers, and lightweight liveries.

lomar wrote in Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:37 pm:Hello, friends.
-improve the circuits already present on FG and create newer ones(i'm particularly interested on Budapest and Indy)

All of the RBAR circuits in the scenery are on the old rules/pylons format. I've got tile replacements to get rid of the old pylons, and scenario packs with updated pylons (real heights, and real pylon placements within a couple meters) for Abu Dhabi 2017, Budapest 2018, Chiba 2015, and San Diego 2017 here: https://github.com/l0k1/ZivkoEdge

cptRon wrote in Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm:I was also thinking about adding different classes somehow. so you could be racing cap10 style aircraft class or all the way up to fighter jet class. Or even slower aircraft classes, just like you would have in any racing game or sim.

Just to forewarn you, most fighter jets won't be able to do RBAR courses. They can't turn tight enough. They could do the Reno style air racing, which is more of a circuit.

cptRon wrote in Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm:though I completely understand if you wish to keep it strictly analogous to real world aircraft racing.

The older style races like the Deutche de la Marthe Cup would fit into this, although they were more straight-line.

All that said, I'd be interested.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby cptRon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 am

Just to forewarn you, most fighter jets won't be able to do RBAR courses. They can't turn tight enough. They could do the Reno style air racing, which is more of a circuit.

I figured that they would need completely custom courses for their class. Of course seeing some jet fighters start struggling when they dip below 200 knots. While others can handle quite nicely as low as 140 or so. So for this approach I feel the concept of class becomes important. For jets I was originally thinking more canyon run type courses, like the mach loop.

I'm just intrigued by doing a style of race that is possible but unlikely to happen in the real world for various reasons.

But any type of racing would be fun if we can get the pilots together.
cptRon

Return to Multiplayer events