Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

How about a WWII Combat Squadron?

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

How about a WWII Combat Squadron?

Postby 2011futuremarine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 pm

How about a WWII prop aircraft squadron?(not excluding the Me262 ;) ) I was talking to NicQ, and it seems
as though VRF covers the jet part of aerial combat, but we lack a prop one. :D
What do you all think? Maybe have a home base in the UK, or France, or anywhere...maybe even Germany for those bf-109s and FW-190s :)
Aircraft: primarily military
2011futuremarine

Callsign: Dodger4

Re: How about a WWII Combat Squadron?

Postby redneck » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Sounds fun. It'll give me a reason to polish my skills with the P51D. :) Any plans for what we'll be doing? I'm pretty sure none of the WWII a/c have guns yet, that I know of.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby mdsmith » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Finally! Some love for these glorious ole' birds :D
I just need some practice and FPS :/
mdsmith
Retired

Postby 2011futuremarine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm

redneck wrote:Sounds fun. It'll give me a reason to polish my skills with the P51D. :) Any plans for what we'll be doing? I'm pretty sure none of the WWII a/c have guns yet, that I know of.

The bf-109 and the fw-190 I know can ;)

I was thinking about having maybe two groups, so that one group could
fly formation agaisnt the other group. Let me hear what you all have in mind ;)
2011futuremarine

Postby QF52 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:03 am

2 group catch the airfield game (one person in B-52 land at airfield to catch it then the team that captures the otherteams airfield first wins
Thanks,
Qf52
Yes if you hear this it's true im modeling the Sydney Opera House
'Qantas orders more A380's and some Boeing Dreamliners (787's) hope to get on one someday =-)
QF52

Callsign: QF52 or SOA1

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:54 pm

Maybe at first we should just fly formation and get a knack for these birds before we do anything too fun :D Maybe we could have historical flights and all. Any ideas for the name of this club, group, squadron, whatever you want to call it :lol:
2011futuremarine

Postby redneck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:17 pm

QF52 wrote:2 group catch the airfield game (one person in B-52 land at airfield to catch it then the team that captures the otherteams airfield first wins
Thanks,
Qf52

Do you mean like capture the flag, but with planes and airfields, instead of armed men and flags? And, I think you may be forgetting that the guns in FG don't cause damage, so how would we capture or prevent someone from capturing the airfield?
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 pm

I think what he means is having a furball, much like the event in the past when Hello organized a dogfight.
(However, that was pretty unrealistic, as it's pretty easy through practice to easily stay on someone's 6, but that doesn't mean that you can put your gunsight on him.)
And whoever can land most or all of his planes on the opposite's airfield it victorious.

While this is one way of doing it, it seems that it doesn't have the realisticness to be able to call someone's down. Maybe a better way would be to have no score at all, just a furball? Atleast until we get some idea of how to be able to make a kill.

With the aircraft that have working guns, like Dave's Aircraft, it's pretty easy seeing that long stream of smoke, all you'd have to do is take a snapshot or video, and confirm your kill. Unfortuntely, most of these old warbirds don't have their working guns.
2011futuremarine

Postby redneck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 pm

I thought a furball was the stuff my cat used to cough up all the time. Anyway, yeah Dave's a/c are pretty good for dogfights. I know once I identify a target, as long as it maintains a stable speed, I'm stuck on it.
2011futuremarine wrote:as it's pretty easy through practice to easily stay on someone's 6, but that doesn't mean that you can put your gunsight on him.)

I've found that, by using the dynamic cockpit view, if I pull up just enough that it's difficult to see my target, due to the cockpit and points where the canopy fastens shut, I can get a target in the gunsight and get some shots off on it. That just takes some practice. You just gotta know when the best time to shoot is, even if you are experiencing blackout/redout. I haven't done very serious dogfighting, the one time I tried I had serious lag b/c my ethernet cable was loose, but it should be possible to get up real close on someone's six and have their plane in your face, which is the pefect momet to unload. 8) Then, just be prepared to dodge when the target starts lagging.
I still gotta check out those WWII planes that have working guns. I should have them soon.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Yea, lol, I've gotten so close to someone with Dave's aircraft I can't see the enemy because of the smoke. But, back on topic, a furball is a whole bunch of aircraft mixing it up :D So maybe for starters we shouldn't have any kills. Any ideas on the name though?
2011futuremarine

Postby redneck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:22 pm

I just tried those WWII fighters. Does anyone know how to taxi in them? As soon as I unlock the tail wheel, I start spinning and I have no control over it. Locking it back up centers the wheel and allows me to go straight again, but with it locked I have no ground steering. Is the tail wheel supposed to swivel all the way around like a wheel on a shopping cart or office chair? It also seems to be completely unresponsive to my input. If FG modelled skid marks, the only thing I'd ever manage to accomplish when trying to taxi would be covering every airport I land at in donuts.
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
redneck

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:48 pm

well, they all like to swerve left, like the P-51. But a couple of the spitfires I find very difficult to take off. Most others are alright though. There's one spitfire that's pretty easy as well as the Hurricane. If they're too hard, I just position them in the air :P
2011futuremarine

Postby DFaber » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:31 pm

redneck wrote:As soon as I unlock the tail wheel, I start spinning and I have no control over it. Locking it back up centers the wheel and allows me to go straight again, but with it locked I have no ground steering.

With unlocked tailwheel you can use the left/right wheelbrakes (, and . ) to steer on the ground and as soon as it goes straight, lock the tailwheel again. Some of the british Aircraft mix the rudder input to the wheel brakes so braking with rudder full left will only brake the left wheel (you need to consider that the full braking force is only achieved with centered rudder.

redneck wrote:Is the tail wheel supposed to swivel all the way around like a wheel on a shopping cart or office chair? It also seems to be completely unresponsive to my input.

Yes that's exactly the case. As far as I know the P51 is the only one with steerable tailwheel. Some of the elder Aircraft even had no tailwheel lock at all. These Aircraft were operated mainly on grass, which is slippery and forgives some slip on landings. Therefor I'd recommend to choose Airfields with a sufficiently long grass strip ( 1000 -1500 m should do).

If you like to stay realistic, try a fighter sweep. Some take off in England, do a flight over the channel and the others try to intercept the formation WITHOUT using MPmap ( maybe a ground "radar" operator is allowed).

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

German FlightGear Forum
http://forum.flightgear-de.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

If you like to stay realistic, try a fighter sweep. Some take off in England, do a flight over the channel and the others try to intercept the formation WITHOUT using MPmap ( maybe a ground "radar" operator is allowed).
Greetings

That's what I've been thinking, that maybe we could have bases on either side of the English Channel.

Maybe we could also assign wingmen and flight leaders according to their flight skill? :)
2011futuremarine

Postby 2011futuremarine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:26 pm

I was doing a little scouting around, and it seems like that EGKA airport would be a pretty nice place as home plate. Of course we wouldn't be limited to that airfield, but it can serve as home. :) I'll be there on Sundays, and most other days around 17:00 - 18:30 GMT if anyone cares to come around :lol:

Meanwhile, why don't we have an event to get us all organised into formations and anything else that might come up on the 19th (if that works for everyone), at EGKA? I'll hear your responses if that's a good date, and we'll get the specs up on another thread this comming week.

Take care now!
-Dodger4
2011futuremarine

Next

Return to Multiplayer events