Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Youtube channel: Captain 101 (flightgear videos!)

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Youtube channel: Captain 101 (flightgear videos!)

Postby airways17 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

My channel is: Captain 101 on youtube

and have been posting Flightgear videos lately. My views are going great but I feel like most viewers do not subscribe. If you want to keep following me make sure to subscribe for the latest content. Here is a link to my latest video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bclMfiV0-8

Feel free to watch this video and subscribe thank you!
airways17

Re: Youtube channel: Captain 101 (flightgear videos!)

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:53 am

If you feel offended by critique, please stop reading right here - continue only if you're interested in why viewers might not be as excited as you'd hope.

The video shows an airliner approach in FG with minimal rendering quality settings and a very noisy soundtrack. Ask yourself - would you yourself want to watch videos of this kind? Or- what kind of video would you actually like to watch?

Movies aren't made by pressing the record button on a camera and showing the result in a movie theater - for good reason. A video needs editing and post-processing - and first and foremost a story.

What is the story you're trying to tell here? An airliner landing as such doesn't make much of a story. So perhaps you want to highlight Bergen and the beauty of the scenery? But then 2d clouds and the simple classic renderer serve you little - this is the visual quality we officially show for FG on the project website

if I had some idea of FG from the website, I'd be wondering why your video stays so much behind this.

There's a single camera perspective drawn out across two minutes - that's boooring. Watch any of your favourite movies, see how the camera perspective changes every 10 seconds or so - in action-sequences even within seconds. That makes for a more exciting viewing experience. Use camera movement - at least pan and zoom - for more dynamics.

Sound is really important - you could easily insert ATC communication for instance to make it more lively, or insert a conversation between pilot and co-pilot.

But I think the all-important thing is - get a story, then align all other elements (cutting, camera movement, post-processing, sound editing,...) to support that story.
Thorsten

Postby curt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Thorsten,

I think you should let this one go. It feels like you are dredging up some old argument unnecessarily. The Captain posted some youtube videos. Maybe some people will want to watch them. Others can decide how much of the channel they would like to watch for themselves. Maybe these videos are fun for some group of people, or highlight some point of interest that is there if you look for it. Maybe the captain is having fun making them? You didn't need to go out of your way to somehow try to shoot down his efforts. (Doing that just doesn't make sense to me?) Now that you are a big time movie star/producer I'm sure your standards are much higher, but let people do what they can and learn as they go. This is a project where we encourage people to try new things and do their best at it. We want to create opportunities for people to start small and grow from there. Not everyone starts at the top. So let people try things and learn and grow in their craft. You don't need to steer the market, let the market decide for itself. I have youtube channel of several hundred terrible videos. Once in a while I post a link here too. My videos are not intended to be hollywood quality, they are engineering videos intended to show some pedantic small thing, or communicate some point I find interesting. That is all... Often it is best to let people try and experiment on their own. The captain can use his channel stats to learn what works best and what doesn't work as well.

Best regards,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Thorsten » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm

This is a project where we encourage people to try new things and do their best at it.

Which is what I'm trying to do here by making concrete suggestions what new things could be tried. Sharing experiences and lessons learned. Shooting down the effort is actually the last thing I want to do here (as you say, it doesn't even make sense to do that).

But have no fear, I won't post anything more until Captain 101 specifically asks.

Edit: Actually, I resent the allegation that a post containing several constructive ideas for improvement would be done 'to shoot down his efforts' - I think this is a needless and hurtful statement and there was no reason to make it.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm

We've previously gathered community feedback on creating promotional FlightGear videos: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Creati ... omo_Videos
If in doubt, please feel free to add your own advice/ideas or update the article as needed.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 pm

The only comment I have is that you may want to be cautious with using those thumbnails, depending if you have the license to use them or not...?

Also, this is blowing our own trumpet, but you really should use the IDG-A32X (github.com/it0uchpods/IDG-A32X) ;)

As for graphics, Advanced Weather and Atmospheric Light Scattering do not impact performance much while making it look much better: View > Rendering and Environment > Weather
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Multiplayer events