Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

I'm ready to ATC for flightgear (seriously)

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

where would you like to see realistic ATC?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:24 pm

EBBR
No votes
LFPG
46%
ELLX
15%
LFMN
8%
EHAM
31%

Total votes : 13

I'm ready to ATC for flightgear (seriously)

Postby OO-GPM » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi all,

This topic is about my contribution to fgfs and trying to bring a better MP experience with ATC.

I recently thought of ways to contribute to FG and keep this amazing sim moving. Developing seemed the right way but it's not really my area of expertise. However, my real asset is my experience as a pilot IRL and as ATC on IVAO.
I'm ready to give it a shot and start controlling in a very realistic way, if the community shows interest.
I'm currently open to suggestions about a location to stick to - there are a few strategic choices.
I was thinking a popular, moderately large to large airport.
I speak both English and French so a French airport could also serve the Francophone community.

Here are some ideas, let me know where you would be interested to fly!

EBBR-Brussels
EHAM-Amsterdam
LFPG-Paris de Gaulle
LFMN-Nice
ELLX-Luxembourg
(EDDF-Jomo seems too have the monopoly)

I think it's worth giving this idea a shot, and if it doesn't work, I'll just go back to VATSIM.

cheers!
Last edited by OO-GPM on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OO-GPM

Callsign: OO-GPM
IRC name: gui

Re: I'm ready to ATC for flightgear (seriously)

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:07 pm

These are important airports, FG pilots coming/going to germany, Uk, spain, etc will benefit it, the daily traffic is nice on that area.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby abcaster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I like to fly from/to ENGM, but sadly I lack time to do so :(
abcaster

Callsign: LNRCX
Version: 2018.2.0

Postby bob755 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm

@ OO-GPM
Are you still considering doing ATC on FG?
I fly in France and would be keen on having some ATC at LFPO, LFPG or LFMN
bob755

Postby OO-GPM » Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Hello all,

(TL;DR below)

Firstly, thanks for those of you who have showed support for providing quality ATC in FGFS.

It seems the general trend nowadays regarding multiplayer in FG is to link FG to VATSIM and start from there.
(For those of you who don't know, there are multiple posts on how to do that in the forums).
I tried this method myself: it took an afternoon of setup (using linux didn't help) but I managed to connect.

Looking ahead now, I think this is not a suitable multiplayer experience for FG because it requires setting up several addon software that rely on outdated technology that will perhaps soon be gone.

On the other hand, it appears the FG multiplayer technology is working well and is easy to use (since it's integrated in the simulator). I think we should explore that option as mentioned in my previous posts.

I've followed some FG events on the forums but never had a chance to actively participate as ATC or pilot. From what I saw, it seemed to be working well and people are having fun?

As I've talked about before, my goal is to provide quality ATC service to FG on a more regular basis.
The first step is to provide some sort of code of conduct that allows smooth multiplayer operations in FG. Basically, some basic guidelines that pilots should follow to make everything run smoothly. These guidelines will be simple, yet closely related to real life procedures to ensure maximum realism. I will also provide helpful information for beginner pilots to read.

As you've probably guessed, most of this information will be posted on the wiki pages, and I will also post updates on this thread.

Over the next few weeks, I will be doing so tests by doing ATC at LFPG. Feel free to join if you see me online.
For those of you who have experience with FG events as ATC (Flightgear Festival, etc...), feel free to share your experience!

TL;DR - although the current trend is to fly FG on VATSIM, the method is complicated and not suitable. I am determined to provide quality ATC on FG servers. I see the necessity to write a "code" of conduct along with helpful material online to assure smooth ATC operations on FG.

cheers
OO-GPM

Callsign: OO-GPM
IRC name: gui

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

The thing to remember is that most will not have SIDS and STARS preinstalled, and not all will be experienced with FlightGear. I believe that the level of service could be adjusted by asking pilots if they want "full-real" service or simply vectoring and sequencing. This will ensure that those that can handle it get the realistic service, while allowing less experienced pilots to still fly into Paris and learn more :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Multiplayer events