Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Zeppelins Over London! Jan, 20, 2018 17:00 UTC

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Zeppelins Over London! Jan, 20, 2018 17:00 UTC

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:36 pm

A new Belfort Virtual Aerodrome Mission; Starting from the historical location of the WWI imperial German navy's Zeppelin base in Gent-Merelbeke I would like to invite all pilots to a multiplayer event that will be dramatic and entertaining.

Your mission, depending on which side you chose to serve with: Guide a flight of Zeppelins on a night-time bombing raid on London's Thames dockyards..

Or: Starting at the British home defense aerodrome at Stow Maries, fly home defense patrol with one of two RFC Zeppelin night fighters.

The Avro 504K HD fighter

The Royal Air Factory's BE12a

Your respective goals are;

As the Zeppelin pilots: to make your way from Merelbeke, across the Channel to London at night with only a compass and what little ground features you can make out from the gondola, while climbing to a height sufficiently difficult for the RFC HD crews to follow. The main goal here is to not get lost like many Zeppelin crews did while attempting to complete their mission to England. And return safely to Merelbeke after completing your mission.

The RFC-HD Pilots: You will be on night-time standby as the prior week had sporadic Zeppelin raids and the HD Defense command is not wanting to let another flight of Zeppelins make landfall. There will be listening posts at Ramsgate and Eastchurch as the only forewarning detectors for the raid, so your skill to climb to altitude and find the raiders before they can drop the ordinance is paramount.

I would like to use real weather fetch if all are OK with this as a lot of these flights were made in not the best of weather conditions, if the local weather at the time turns out to be really bad I'll come up with a preset METARs for both locations.

Confirmation of your completion of the mission will be in the form of screen captures of your either, Arriving over London in the Zeppelin, or a screenshot of your hd fighter shooting at the Zeppelin. Be aware that the Zeppelins have working gun turrets. As a slight help with the AVRO there also is a mouse look elevation function for the twin Lewis guns.

I will have all 3 of these planes/airships available in my Mediafire links a week prior to the event. Pretty certain the L-11 Zeppelin will require that the Nordstern Zeppelin be installed also. The HD planes should be good as stand alones.

There are some scenery additions I would like you to try out and will post up as links that you may want to install to improve the immersion. They are not required, but it will add to the challenge.

I'll also have a HD AA truck if anyone wants to shoot at Zeppelins from ground level. You have the alternate choices of starting your Zeppelin flight at Kortrijk-Wevelgem EBKT and launching your HD flight from Southend EGMC just a few miles from Stow Maries.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: Zeppelins Over London! Jan, 20, 2018 17:00 UTC

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:07 pm

In impeccable timing, I've found out that another FlightGear Zeppelin fan has made a trio of WWI era airships. Two smaller Schutte Lanz and a Zeppelin L30

Link to his download page http://fschmid.hp.altmuehlnet.de/flightgear.html Until I get some improvements on the L-11, these airships will be the 'official' airships for this event, Franz Schmid has done some stellar work on these beauties, Bravo, and much thanks!

I think he will be implementing the truck push back with these.
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
LesterBoffo

Postby Michat » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 am

Nice finding LesBof. This perfectly match your program.

My intemption is to assist with a Zepellin with no custom terrain as I'm bad with scenery management. /=
This is not a confirmation............. because if I confirm it, then in RL everything get it against. )=

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 pm

I just wanted to update that we'll be using Mumble chat on Ithouchpod's server @ itpns.ddns.net.

The channel will be Belfort Aerodrome Workshop.
LesterBoffo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Well... I don't use Mumble any more, but I'll absolutely be there if I can!

Probably in the Avro.

So do we have written authorization to use buckingham tracer? I take it that we need to use incendiary bullets against the Zeppelins! And I wouldn't like to be in one of those... Hydrogen and Oxygen (ie the combustion of hydrogen) is pretty explosive.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Well I've enabled tracer rounds with the submodels on both planes, if Franz' airships will comply with setting themselves on fire and plunging to earth will be another question. Plus they might have defensive turrets by then, so I'd be circumspect about attacking. I've noticed that in addition to the crows-nest on the upper front of the dirigible's body there's a few gun ports on the aft car and tail of his 3 ships, wouldn't take much work to make these operable.

Bombable is another problem, I'd get random FG crashes when shooting too much. Options, that's why I'm allowing you all to either load in at nearby airports or go with the scenery mods. And you can just fly around trying to find these, as the L30 has a black nighttime livery that ought to be a bear to find even in moonlight.
LesterBoffo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

One thing to consider is the Zeppelins are hard to shoot down. The gas is not under pressure... apparently, so a bullet hole could take days to bring it down. It depends if Zeppelin hunter aircraft were equipped with incendiary bullets or not. Tracer rounds should help a bit, but incendiary's would be the best, although technically illegal except against balloons as far as I know?

This sounds interesting :)
legoboyvdlp

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Going to have to accept within the limitations of FG that this event is a reenactment at best, Bombable allowed for some very basic level of flight combat, this isn't like War Thunder or even MS CFS3, there's not any damage modeling, and just basic visuals for the weaponry ballistics.
LesterBoffo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Would these aircraft have had any instrument lighting out of interest? Are we to do the flights in real time?

Agree with you re the weather... haze, low cloud, cold! Not fun for the pilots :)

Finally, here is a starting position that will put you on the "tarmac", well, grass apron for the airfield. You can probably taxi out straight ahead and turn into the wind, as the airfield is not present in FlightGear. Looking forward to seeing any scenery addons that are coming.

Code: Select all

--lon=0.630180
  --lat=51.670325
legoboyvdlp

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Try and land on "The Shard" might be tricky and you might get a sudden loss of gas...explosive decompression springs to mind!!! Lol
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm

The Shard didn't exist back then ;)

And as the gas is not pressurized, it would merely be like a puncture, not an explosive decompression!
legoboyvdlp

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:40 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 pm:Would these aircraft have had any instrument lighting out of interest? Are we to do the flights in real time?

Agree with you re the weather... haze, low cloud, cold! Not fun for the pilots :)

Finally, here is a starting position that will put you on the "tarmac", well, grass apron for the airfield. You can probably taxi out straight ahead and turn into the wind, as the airfield is not present in FlightGear. Looking forward to seeing any scenery addons that are coming.

Code: Select all

--lon=0.630180
  --lat=51.670325

I've already placed a couple pairs of the chalk numbers for the two runways in the .stg file for Stow Maries. So maybe it would be a good time to use that co-ordinate for a parking spot alternate for Southend. if you feel up to making a few parking groundnet .xml to have them to be uploaded it'd be appreciated.

Try and land on "The Shard" might be tricky and you might get a sudden loss of gas

If I had the time I'd completely depopulate the present London/Gatwick/Heathrow and Thames environs of the modern models for this event. :P I could also get Eastchurch, Lympne and other WWI era airfields started.

BTW has anyone tried out the Brooklands pre WWII scenery that was released a few months back? The Brooklands race track is a hoot with the Regent III double decker all wound out in fourth gear. You have to watch the low pedestrian overpasses.
LesterBoffo

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 am

I did try it, it was very good :)

I've already placed a couple pairs of the chalk numbers for the two runways in the .stg file for Stow Maries. So maybe it would be a good time to use that co-ordinate for a parking spot alternate for Southend. if you feel up to making a few parking groundnet .xml to have them to be uploaded it'd be appreciated.

Hmm... is that in TerraSync then? I don't see any chalk numbers on Google Earth, which is where I got my Stow Maries (NOT Southend!) ramp coordinate. I can probably do it, what airfields are we using? Just Stow Maries?
legoboyvdlp

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:38 am

No it's part of the special models I made for Stow Maries, just flat 2d numbers laid close to the level of the ground surface.
The numbers are just for fun, as I don't think Stow Maries will ever be added to the list of small UK airports anytime soon in FG.

The neat thing about this is that the little portion of Cropgrass that Stow Maries is situated on in FG, the basic shape of their land and airfield is the shape of the chunk of crop grass. Once you've memorized it it's fairly easy to see. Of course their unique buildings really help too. The brick columned and steel tanked water tower is very easy to see from a distance.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Just a reminder that Franz has updated his Zeppelin and two Schutte Lanz airships with improved ground handler kinematics who can move the airships around on the ground like a push-back. It's really awesome stuff.

Links http://fschmid.hp.altmuehlnet.de/flightgear.html

Links to my aircraft and scenery files for the event.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/wfvg1fldgtxycnz/AVRO-504-D.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cfcf60j7p6b5o06/RAF-BE12.zip

LFGG Belfort scenery folder updated for the Merelbeke and Stow Maries aerodromes, for FG/scenery/models/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3puxw8ho01m8dl5/LFGG-WWI.zip

FG/scenery/objects .stg files and FG/material changes, do back up your old materials.xml before changing

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qi724wk2abai049/Zeppelin-Event.zip
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesterBoffo

Next

Return to Multiplayer events