Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

FlightNight October 28th,- Volcan Sangay!

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

FlightNight October 28th,- Volcan Sangay!

Postby StuartC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

FlightNight October 28th, 8pm UK time - Volcan Sangay!

We'll meet at 8PM UK time at ICAO: SERB - Chimborazo airport in Ecuador. Please bring a helicopter that is high altitude capable and can maintain a speed of at least 100 knots at 17000'. ( if its not a chopper from FGUK, then please post us a link in plenty of time. ) For scenery, please capture via Terrasync or download scenery via your favorite source of all scenery between and including airports:

SERB/Chimborazo, SEAM/Chochoan, SECM/Hacienda Clemetina, SEMC/Coronel Carvajal, and SESM/Rio Amazonas

Within this area there are a number of volcano's, active and no longer active, that we will be observing and flirting with, landing on, and exploring. Any potential landing places are above 15000' and in the case of Chimborazo at nearly 20,000'

This trip will be challenging so please bring a chopper that you feel confident with and have flight tested. Comms will be on TeamSpeak as always:-

http://www.fguk.eu/index.php/2013-09-03 ... er-details

and I hope to see as many pilots as possible.

The scenery and topography in this part of the world is spectacular so we'll probably be flying Border of a High Pressure area weather to get the best view.

VooDoo

Main event thread for updates:-

http://www.fguk.eu/index.php/2013-09-03 ... ngay#36075
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Re: FlightNight October 28th,- Volcan Sangay!

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 pm

StuartC wrote in Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm: Within this area there are a number of volcano's, active and no longer active, that we will be observing and flirting with, landing on, and exploring. Any potential landing places are above 15000' and in the case of Chimborazo at nearly 20,000'

do these active volcanoes use the new volcano stuff recently added to the sim? there are a couple in Hawaii that do and one off the west of Italy... Stromboli i think it is... they're listed in a dialog where you enable the volcano particle configuration and then enable each volcano when you are in range of it... once enabled, they will stay enabled unless you disable them...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby StuartC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 pm

That would depend on your FG version I suppose. I don't have any option for volcanos in my options on 2017.3.1
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:03 am

yes, it is a new option... F10->Environment->Volcanoes... it may have been added right after 2017.3.1 was released... i don't recall and have been chasing waterfalls (another new scenery object), recently... i thought i'd ask about them (the volcanoes) for your flight because they will add some nice views to the flight and i hadn't seen anything added to the scenery database about them in that area of the world...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:06 am

Volcanoes have been added after 3.1 came out, and currently there's only Kilauea and Stromboli available publicly and a half-finished Etna on my harddisk.

They're not being added to the scenery DB for reasons discussed on the mailing list (they might need to interact with the weather system for example, unlike scenery objects they have to be visible from 100+ km distance, so they must be exempt from LOD settings,...) - they have their own subfolder on FGData.

Adding some for a dedicated volcano flight would be cool, but the timeframe is a bit short for me to do anything.

Stromboli spewing fire:

Etna exploding ultra-plinian, seen from the upper Stratosphere:

Thorsten

Return to Multiplayer events