Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

FG Online Contest - Your opinion?

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Do you like the idea of a virtual FlightGear Online Soaring Contest?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 3

FG Online Contest - Your opinion?

Postby D-ECHO » Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Hey!
I had this idea spooking around in my head for a few weeks now and would like to hear what you think/have to say about it.
For those that don't know the real thing - "onlinecontest.org" also known as OLC is a website for comparing distance soaring results. There are various competition categories for national and international comparison.
The Virtual FG OLC would rank glider pilots based on a score system. Flights can be submitted by supplying a link to https://fgtracker.ml/modules/fgtracker/. Based on this and after checking that no cheating (Ctrl-u =)) took place, distance will be calculated:
-Triangle distance: The distance between the three farthermost points is calculated and added to result in the overall distance.
-Track distance: The distance between the airfield of departure and the landing field is used as the overall distance.
For every kilometre of overall distance there are 0.7 points for a triangle and 1 point for a direct track. The real scoring system is a bit more complicated, but for instance this more simplistic way is better I think. There could maybe also be a "racing class", where there are added points per speed so pilots flying faster get more points.
All points for all flights are added and divided by the number of flights to get the Pilot Score. The division is done to assure that longer flights give better rankings.
The ranking will be published via a forum topic.
Please vote whether you'd like this or not and post any feedback, suggestion or critic!
Regards
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Re: FG Online Contest - Your opinion?

Postby Isaak » Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

This sounds interesting, I might participate!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Return to Multiplayer events