Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Operation Red Flag (KSUU Crew)

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Operation Red Flag (KSUU Crew)

Postby XrayHotel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am

Hooray wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 pm:For the time being, and according to the screenshot, this looks like it could be a good alternative to the mpmap feature, while becoming the foundation for more ambitious ideas.

I have big plans! I have something in particular (map related) in mind that would be really cool, which I'll be working on next. It's a *secret* :mrgreen:

I haven't entirely put aside the idea of writing a multiplayer server, although Richard's changes to FGMS already has a lot of what KSUU crew/ORF wants, covered.

Hooray wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:00 pm:It would probably be a good idea to update the blackbox article on the wiki and maybe add this to the March 2016 newsletter

Currently the code is a bit rough, maybe the next release will be worthy of a proper homepage and wider dissemination.
XH.
* Remember, keep the blue side up and avoid the cumulo-granitus!
XrayHotel

Callsign: XH

Postby Raider1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 am

XH:

I don't know the details of your plans, but I do know that we have been discussing the capacity to track missile shots and percentage of damage inflicted so that we could give awards and designations such as "Ace". Is that something you have thought about?

Raider1
Raider1
(Alternate call-signs: Raid-1, Raid-2)

Member of Operation Red Flag (OPRF)
http://opredflag.shivtr.com/
Raider1

Callsign: Raider1
Version: 2016

Postby Raider1 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:18 am

Attention OPRF:

We have posted the proposed rank system in the forums on our new webpage. Please notice that we have granted "back-hours" to those who sign up and become crew members before the rank system goes live.... so now is your chance to get a bump up. Join the crew!

Raider1
Raider1

Raider1

Postby XrayHotel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:53 am

Raider1 wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:38 am:I don't know the details of your plans, but I do know that we have been discussing the capacity to track missile shots and percentage of damage inflicted so that we could give awards and designations such as "Ace". Is that something you have thought about?

Not specifically, although I have thought about a lot of similar things, and I have been following the discussion over at the ORF site regarding missile subsystem standardisiation. BlackBox can decode FlightGear multiplayer properties, so a script could be written to track who shot whom by reading the relevant properties - obviously this is a lot easier if different aircraft use properties in a uniform way (otherwise you need different code to deal with each kind of aircraft.)

The good thing is that BlackBox is written in Javascript, which is very similar to Nasal - if you can code one, you can code the other. If anyone is interested in experimenting with writing scripts that listen to the multiplayer network, please feel free to email me (my email can be found in the BlackBox readme, or any source file.) I'm happy to explain how things work! :)

BTW, I'm not sure if your noticed Raider1, but I had a go at answering your question regarding getting BlackBox running in a post which ended up on the previous page.
XH.
XrayHotel

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm

XrayHotel wrote in Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 pm:* edit - I forgot to add, that running BlackBox in observe mode won't work if FlightGear is connected to the MP network in the usual fashion - both programs will try to use port 5000, whichever program gets there first will prevent the other from working.

i'm not sure if i'm reading this properly or not... the local port in use should not matter... it does not have to be the same as the destination port... if the destination port for MP is 5000 and blackbox reads the MP data from there, too, then there should be no problems if each one is using a different local port to connect to the remote port 5000...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby XrayHotel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:21 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm:i'm not sure if i'm reading this properly or not... the local port in use should not matter... it does not have to be the same as the destination port... if the destination port for MP is 5000 and blackbox reads the MP data from there, too, then there should be no problems if each one is using a different local port to connect to the remote port 5000...

You are correct. However I've configured BlackBox to use port 5000 by default, because the majority of FlightGear users will already have the appropriate firewall hole set up. The "-mp-remote <server-name>:<server-port>:<local-port>" option allows you to specify a different port. The batch file 'blackBox-observe.bat' is just:

Code: Select all
@echo off
call "%~dp0%setenv.bat"
node blackBox.node.js -httpd 1392 -mp-remote mpserver01.flightgear.org:5000:5000

(actually, I haven't tested anything other than port 5000, but it should work...)
XH.
XrayHotel

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:45 pm

Given that the download is ~30 mb in size, my suggestion would really be to set up a github repository so that this can be preserved for the future - regardless of your hosting being available or not. That would have the added advantage that feature requests could be managed separately, i.e. FG related ideas and those that are likely to be of little interest to FG itself (e.g. combat/VA stuff).

In addition, that would help clean up the wiki article accordingly. Once you rename your readme.txt file to readme.md, github should display it by default.

Regarding FG/combat specifics, my suggestion would be to review the following three links, and the ideas discussed there:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Distributed_ ... Simulation
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Technical_Re ... _Simulator
http://wiki.flightgear.org/High-Level_Architecture

This should provide all the background info needed to put things into perspective.

PS: The mongoose thing is a nice idea, but I wouldn't confine "BlackBox" (or even just the map) to that particular use-case, because of the restrictions coming with this kind of setup.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby swampthing » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am

This is for XH. I bet your Black Box would come in handy for recording these scores. Maybe they have something already that I missed? J-Maverick? http://www.fguk.eu/index.php/forum/satu ... e?start=60
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm

XrayHotel wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am:I haven't entirely put aside the idea of writing a multiplayer server, although Richard's changes to FGMS already has a lot of what KSUU crew/ORF wants, covered.

What changes are you referring to ? Is this related to the message passing idea tossed around here, or something else entirely ??
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Raider1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm:
What changes are you referring to ? Is this related to the message passing idea tossed around here, or something else entirely ??

Just a guess, but likely the increased range, for one.

Raider1
Raider1

Raider1

Postby Raider1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

swampthing wrote in Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am:This is for XH. I bet your Black Box would come in handy for recording these scores. Maybe they have something already that I missed? J-Maverick? http://www.fguk.eu/index.php/forum/satu ... e?start=60

Good call, Swamp. You know, that may open up a whole new set of potential games/challenges for us... such as races or even scavenger hunts.

Raider1
Raider1

Raider1

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Hooray wrote in Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm:
XrayHotel wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am:I haven't entirely put aside the idea of writing a multiplayer server, although Richard's changes to FGMS already has a lot of what KSUU crew/ORF wants, covered.

This is a set of changes outlined here: http://opredflag.shivtr.com/forum_threa ... t_12175037

In the current version it's a bit hacky as it requires the team id to be appended to the callsign and has a hardcoded list of AWACS aircraft; however it does the job and proves the concepts are valid. I have plans to improve it - but this workstream was never intended to discourage development of a replacement.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:41 pm

thanks for the heads-up, I completely missed that (not following the fguk forums).
The range-related changes may be of interest to the ATC/VA folks, who've been wanting to use something like this for better ATC coverage.

For some background, see: Multi-player: FGMS packet field addition proposal

Note that my comment was made without spending much time looking at the fgms side of things - and the fgms maintainer already mentioned that the "custom chat message" approach would not work at all - I haven't looked at the code in question to see if that's true or not, but your changes look like they might be of interest to the parties involved in this.

Regarding your work and the nodejs BlackBox prototype, I would definitely concur that this should be considered orthogonal and looked at independently - in fact, XrayHotel's nodejs code looks so much more lightweight, and cleaner, in comparison to fgms, that it would be a pity not to pursue this just because of some fgms extensions.

Especially because combat related functionality is unlikely to be particularly popular among most long-term fgfs developers anyway
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Raider1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Hey OPRF...

The Spring Festival is less than 2 months away (May 7th-8th) so it is time to start planning. Some ideas for our participation are here, and there will be a more detailed discussion on the OPRF website. We certainly will post the final plans over here as well.

Ideas as a starting point, suggestions welcome!

The week prior:

Monday and Tuesday (May 2-3) Regional fly-ins. Pick an airport you enjoy or have some relation with (I will fly in from somewhere in TX, for example) and fly in on your own or with a group to KSUU. NEEDS: KSUU ATC volunteer for Tuesday or early Wednesday morn (UTC). We need someone with experience and patience so that those of us without a ton of ATC experience can get some.

Wednesday (May 4) First leg...: KSUU to PHNL (Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam). Once there, we can do some scenery flights, competitions, etc.

Thursday (May 5) Second leg... PHNL to PGUA (Anderson AFB, Guam) Same as above...

Friday (May 6) Secure Taiwan Airspace (OCA vs OPFOR).... OCA forces will start at Guam. Proposed that a OCA force secures airspace over Taiwan, and capture Ching Chaun Kang AB (RCMQ). RCMQ will then be OPRF headquarters for duration of weekend. (NOTE: I haven't scoped out this base yet, so it may change). Its about 600 miles from the Japan mainland... so we might find something closer). NEEDS: Two or more OPFOR that don't mind flying under an alternate callsign (OPFOR1, OPFOR2, etc) for a bit.

Sat and Sun (May 7 and 8 )... Festival weekend! We will do a series of fun challenges and fly-ins each day. Since many of us don't do a ton of controlled airspace flight (with ATCs), this will be a good chance for us to practice and learn. It will also be a good chance for us to show the FG world that we can fly and have fun in their midst without shooting at everything. We can be ambassadors for the crew, and maybe get some new membership out of it! NEEDS: Flight leaders (lead up to 4-ship formations) for flights into Festival area. We will develop and release mission planning packets that the flight leaders will need to file before they fly into the mission areas. Flight leaders will be responsible for being POC to controllers, etc. Goal will be to have numerous 4-ship waves (preferably large combat-spread so its visible on mpmap!) all weekend.

Don't worry, there will be some competitions too. :)
Raider1

Raider1

Postby swampthing » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:22 am

A good way to learn ATC stuff is just ask to fly with some of the guys we already know on mumble. Skyboat, KL-666, ATC-411 etc. or (Pinto) ooops....
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events