Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Also, make sure to do it every couple of hours, to make sure that it is updated :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:14 pm

@elgaton

Well, we would like to use mumble, so could you maybe say me in a seperate thread or PM or something how? I know that LKAA_CT does it.

And by the way, I will be there as ATC411, so maybe you change that so they know.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby elgaton » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Note: these instructions are sketched as I didn't test them. Make sure to have a trial run or two before the Festival.

You'll first need to record the message using an audio recording program, such as Audacity. Make sure to keep a few seconds of silence at the end.

You'll then need to broadcast the message and have it play continuously, which is the fun part (Mumble can not transmit on more than one channel at once, and it's not so simple to have your sound card process two audio streams at the same time). There are at least two possible solutions to these problems.

1) Using two different computers
This is the easy way. Supposing you have two different computers, "A" and "B":
  1. record the ATIS on A;
  2. start Mumble on A, click on Settings -> Configuration, choose Line (*) as the input device and Always active as the transmission method, close the window by clicking on OK;
  3. connect to the Mumble server, create the ATIS channel and join it;
  4. in Audacity, select "Line" as the output device (so that the ATIS won't be sent to your headphone/speakers), then have the message play continuously (shift + click on the Play button);
  5. on B, start OpenRadar/Mumble as usual to control your desired airport.

(*) The exact name will vary depending on the soundcard.

If you don't have/want to keep on two computers at the same time, you could use a computer and a virtual machine running on it, or a small server (if you have it).

2) Running everything on the same machine
  1. Install a virtual sound card driver such as VB Cable. Virtual sound card drivers, as their name says, create a software sound card in addition to the real one already present in your system, allowing you to keep the ATIS and ATC sound streams separate. Note: VB Cable is donationware - please follow the license terms and make a small donation to its author.
  2. We then need to run two separate instances of Mumble at the same time. Start your main instance of Mumble as normal (the one you will be using for controlling). Then, make a copy of the Mumble program folder (C:\Program Files\Mumble) somewhere else (e.g. on your Desktop). Open the copied folder and create an empty file named Mumble.ini in it: this will make the second instance save its settings there (and the existing ones won't be overwritten). Finally, run the second instance of Mumble with the -m command line parameter.
  3. In the second instance of Mumble, click on Settings -> Configuration, choose the virtual sound card created in the first step as the input device and Always active as the transmission method, then close the window by clicking on OK. Create the ATIS channel and join it.
  4. In Audacity, select the virtual sound card as the output device, then play the ATIS continuously (shift + click on the Play button). The ATIS will be broadcast on the dedicated channel.
  5. Use the first Mumble instance to do regular controlling.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:03 pm

Well I have 3 machines at my desk "ATC411", "ATC411-2", and "ATC411-3".

I will give this a try today and report, thanks!
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Well, it worked great!!! "ATC411" is ready for the festival 3 monthes early!

I ended up using the same PC for "ATC411" and "ATC411ATIS" since the others have no mic, but it worked great in Mumble with the Cable input!

Thanks

ATC411

Octal450

Postby oscar6662 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Just want to appreciate very much what you are doing for the event not all the people have this paciense and knowledge to give to the rest of the players in one word: Thanks
Todo bien todo correcto? Y yo que me alegro!!!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Callsign: AA2234
IRC name: N/A
Version: 3.4.0.

Postby Octal450 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:49 am

Yah Same here.

Octal450

Postby G-UNTER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:28 pm

See you guys there!
Just FYI, I am able to ATC at RJCC or RJTT, but I probably won't be needed anyways.
Join the Official Flightgear Discord: https://discord.gg/kzAt8JE6mK
G-UNTER

Callsign: G-UNTER
Version: 2020.3.3

Postby oscar6662 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey. I am thinking about if el gaton is going to be Japan center is it possible to make the sever able to give more than 100nm?

PD: I am still working on it but OR file is becoming great!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes, Oscar -- but I don't think the owners of the MP servers will change the limit just for that.

The alternative FGMEMBERS (USA TOUR) server has a 600nm limit.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby elgaton » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:11 pm

oscar6662 wrote in Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 pm:Hey. I am thinking about if el gaton is going to be Japan center is it possible to make the sever able to give more than 100nm?

No, the range is fixed on the server side - every server operator would have to change that parameter. Furthermore, there is a good reason to limit it: there is no way to change the range depending on the role (pilot vs tower controller vs center controller). Even though we - as center controllers - could benefit from monitoring an ample area, some pilots - especially those who are on slow connections or use text chat only - could be
  • annoyed by a greater-than-usual number of text chat messages (not only the ones coming from pilots in the immediate vicinity), or
  • just unable to connect (on a dialup connection, bandwidth is insufficient if there are more than two/three pilots moving at the same time in a 100 NM range).
elgaton

Postby oscar6662 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Oh I understand :(. Would you use two computers for OR?

Ther si one yhink that is a little bit complicated to say: In real live RJTT is really big with some terminals and the scenery of FG only shows up one of them (the non international terminal). Thats not a big problem the biggest think is that there are some (a lot) of taxiways that exists in real live but in FG and OR are not showen up like taxiway P, C(2), E(2), T (in construction), A(3)... And the international termianl isnt there because the taxiway Papa doesnt exist in OR or FG and that taxiway gives way to that terminal.

My question is what should I do?
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Postby mickybadia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Since I am finding my own wish timely expressed by others than myself:
elgaton wrote in Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:11 pm:
oscar6662 wrote in Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:55 pm:Hey. I am thinking about if el gaton is going to be Japan center is it possible to make the sever able to give more than 100nm?
No, the range is fixed on the server side - every server operator would have to change that parameter.

You may want to comment on or vote up the ticket I have placed asking that every client could choose the range from which he wants to collect traffic from the server. Plus, you are using a different client so I would feel less like I am working the whole network only to suit my contributions.

Let's push this on... >:-)
mickybadia

Postby PINTO » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Is the current list of ATC and controlled airports up to date?
Also, is our current ATC comfortable handling a formation of four-six fighters with a single Pilot in Command as a contact point?
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby elgaton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:12 pm

PINTO wrote in Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:01 pm:Is the current list of ATC and controlled airports up to date?

It is now (the only edit I did was to replace SHM at Narita with aiannuzzi99 - the first told me he will not be able to control due to time constraints and the second one offered to replace him).

PINTO wrote in Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:01 pm:Also, is our current ATC comfortable handling a formation of four-six fighters with a single Pilot in Command as a contact point?

As the Tokyo Center controller, I'm fine. Do you have any plans for your flight, so that I'll be able to ask the other ATCs along your route?
elgaton

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events