Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Postby oscar6662 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 pm

i would like to know the way to do ATC. I know I will do haneda app. And my question is: the part that is not really common is the delivery used in real live and I am able to do it in the both ways should I just behive differently in the conditions of the players or should I be hard to people.
Todo bien todo correcto? Y yo que me alegro!!!
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Callsign: AA2234
IRC name: N/A
Version: 3.4.0.

Postby elgaton » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:37 pm

oscar6662 wrote in Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 pm:i would like to know the way to do ATC. I know I will do haneda app.

Nice to have you on board! To start, I would suggest reading the ATC tutorial and the OpenRadar guide if you're not already familiar with phraseology/OpenRadar use.

I'm currently busy with my thesis, but I'll be happy to provide you with some training in about a month, when I'll be free. Also, do you have any prior experience and, if so, how much?

oscar6662 wrote in Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:29 pm:And my question is: the part that is not really common is the delivery used in real live and I am able to do it in the both ways should I just behive differently in the conditions of the players or should I be hard to people.

You should adapt to the pilot you're communicating with. Although the pilots flying in the Festival area usually have good to excellent ATC skills, you shouldn't expect the phraseology to be fully realistic at all times (like on other multiplayer networks such as IVAO or VATSIM). I usually do the "delivery" part as well, keeping in mind players (especially those that don't know about the Festival taking place and pop up at a controlled airport, though they are usually rare) might not have charts or be fully able to fly a SID without some guidance.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Maybe I'll take part in the Festival by ATCing at Yokota Air Base as USAF_YJ or Misawa AB as USAF_MJ (if someone improves its current layout).
Yet not sure about it, especially after what happened last Festival at LIPA... nothing special.
Greetings, Maverick
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby oscar6662 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks :D yes I have experience not only as an ATC a pilot too. I have been sometimes doing my best in london controll south part and you learn a lot observing in vatsim how do ATC work and flying as well. I am allready getting S1 and training is not needed cause of some mentors allready have been assigned to mee. Thanks anyways for the intention and I getted a 10 in legobodys exam. :wink:
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Postby elgaton » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:10 am

Great - be advised, though, that your position at Haneda will require the equivalent of an S2/S3 rating on VATSIM. (We won't, of course, require that you become certified at that level, but you should definitely have the competencies required for it).
elgaton

Postby Lydiot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 am

elgaton wrote in Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:10 am:Great - be advised, though, that your position at Haneda will require the equivalent of an S2/S3 rating on VATSIM. (We won't, of course, require that you become certified at that level, but you should definitely have the competencies required for it).

News to me.
Lydiot

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:36 am

and what if someone doesn't do vatsim?? what then??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby PINTO » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:15 am

Guys, all he's saying is that oscar should expect a lot of traffic, and be prepared to run APP, TW, GND, DEL, and DEP.

I highly doubt anyone is expecting our ATC to get actually rated with VATSIM just for FG Festival.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Lydiot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:27 am

I don't even know what the ratings mean...
Lydiot

Postby PINTO » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 am

From https://www.vatsim.net/documents/global-ratings-policy

B. Tower Controller (S2)
This rating includes all airport DEL, GND and TWR control services, except at a tower that provides procedural approach services as outlined in Section 4.6 of this Policy

C. TMA Controller (S3)
This rating includes APP and DEP control services associated with a particular airport/area.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby elgaton » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:38 am

PINTO wrote in Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:15 am:Guys, all he's saying is that oscar should expect a lot of traffic, and be prepared to run APP, TW, GND, DEL, and DEP.

Indeed, that's what I meant - I just mentioned the correspondent VATSIM ratings (since oscar6662 has stated he's training on that network) to give him an idea of the skills he should ideally have before ATCing (coordination with other controllers, proper phraseology, separation, vectoring, arrival and departure procedures...). In no way will VATSIM certification be required (as I stated before: "We won't, of course, require that you become certified at that level").
elgaton

Postby oscar6662 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks. Tye vatsim ratings are just a number with a letter and uk division is really slow probably I need to wait half year for the rating but with that time I am able to study as an s3
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Postby Octal450 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello, I was talking to Oscar on mumble, and he is not available on Saturday, and a little bit on Sunday. He has agreed to let me do ATC when he is not available. Maybe you can update the main post???

Thanks

ATC411
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby oscar6662 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Saturday is too late for me and I will nit be there but sunday is fine and in spain the 9th there isnt school.
does anyone know how to make an ATIS??
Last edited by oscar6662 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#keepKSFO

Sir. Berenguer
oscar6662

Postby elgaton » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:36 pm

The simplest solution is using FGCom.

Press Win+R, type cmd in the Run window that opens and click OK. A black window with white text (the Command Prompt) will open. Type what follows:
Code: Select all
cd "C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.4.0\bin"
fgcom --atis=xxx.xxx --airport=YYYY

Replace xxx.xxx with the ATIS frequency and YYYY with the ICAO code of the airport. (I also assume you have installed FlightGear in the default path C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.4.0\bin; change that as well if necessary.) FGCom will display a message and start recording the ATIS in a few seconds.

You can check your published ATIS with the following command:
Code: Select all
fgcom --frequency=xxx.xxx --airport=YYYY

Make sure to perform this check! The list of frequencies used by FGCom is quite out of date, so the ATIS frequency stated on the latest airport chart might not be the same as the one used in the software.

Pilots will be able to listen to your ATIS by enabling FGCom in FlightGear and tuning in a radio to the ATIS frequency.

There is also a second solution (recording the ATIS, playing it continuously in Audacity and sending it on a dedicated Mumble channel), but it involves some tinkering with Mumble and/or audio settings, so I won't discuss it here to keep things simple.
elgaton

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events