Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: The Festival of FlightGear, Spring '16 (+ideas for Fall

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:31 am

simbambim wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:07 pm:
Lydiot wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 pm:It isn't I who want to change what we did, it is you.

:shock:
Rest assured that I do not make any decisions here. Only suggestions.

Then please phrase your sentences so that they read like suggestions, and not proclamations. There's a huge difference. I have ZERO problem with anyone suggesting something.

Lydiot wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:47 pm:What do you expect anyone to conclude from the above? The ONLY reasonable conclusion is that there is some sort of interaction between us flying in FG multiplayer online and those during FSWeekend. From what I'm reading now that's apparently not the case. Am I wrong?

Lydiot! You have been around here longer than me! And you were very active organizing last year's event when I was a newcomer. So yes, I thought you knew more than I do.
[EDIT]Surely you did know that there was a multiplayer event in the Netherlands last year, didn't you?[/EDIT]

I knew there was an event, but I knew very little about what it was. Again, you have to look at how things are expressed. First it's a given the festival in the fall is in Europe, then the motivation for it is FSWeekend. I ask why, and the answer doesn't make sense, so I ask again what the logic is behind that. Here's what you wrote:

" it's a different group of players, they don't do multiplayer or ATC, so you won't meet them in our online event."

then "a multiplayer event "..... and from that link "providing full service for all Dutch airports and airspace."

Is it or is it not multiplayer? Is it an FG event or not? I have no idea, because it appears you said one thing first and another later.

Lydiot wrote in Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 pm:Doing something ONCE is not a tradition.

It wasn't once. It has been done at least once more before. Maybe several times, I don't know.
And then the Festival in its current form has taken place twice in the fall, plus the spring one.

I thought we were talking about the FG Festival, not FSWeekend...!?
Lydiot

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 am

Do we really need to continue this sort of conversation? :|
Regards, Maverick
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16, REBEL84
Version: 2020.3.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm

Look Lydiot, you are really confused.
FSWEEKEND is a non-multiplayer, realworld event held at an airport in the Netherlands. It is a major thing, not a FlightGear thing. It isn't just a couple of guys in someone's basement ;). Google it.
Omega provided Netherlands service coinciding with the 2014 FSWEEKEND and FESTIVAL. The Festival was in Spain, the Netherlands Service in Netherlands, and at the FSWEEKEND, FlightGear was represented by several different people, likely including Thorsten, Durk, Curt, and Gjis.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:51 pm:Look Lydiot, you are really confused.

Well if people could learn how to frickin' spell things out clearly and differentiate between "suggesting" and "asserting" then we wouldn't have this discussion in the first place, would we?

Why are you telling me that I'm confused when

a) I didn't bring up FSWeekend - other people did
b) I didn't say it was important to the FG Festival - other people did
c) I wasn't the one saying it was a multiplayer event - other people did

??? Address your concerns to those people instead. God damn man, sometimes this is like pulling teeth......

It's really really REALLY simple:

1: Should we care about when the FSWeekend is held? [HINT: IT'S A 'YES' OR 'NO QUESTION]
2: IF the answer is 'yes', then WHY should we care about when it is?

When answering the above just give clear and concise answers.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:41 am:Do we really need to continue this sort of conversation? :|
Regards, Maverick

No, we don't.

IHAM-COL brought up a good argument that I haven't seen in this section (unless it was posted and I missed it), which was that by guaranteeing one festival in Europe one could also guarantee one festival NOT being in Europe. I think that's a good logical argument as opposed to "it's tradition".

As for the UK guys, my opinion is that we could probably work around it geographically, but if this affects you guys one weekend, one year (because I would presume that the following year the festival would be elsewhere in Europe), then I think perhaps you guys could be flexible about it. What is your sentiment on that?
Lydiot

Postby simbambim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Oh great! Now the people who were providing you with information to clear up your confusion are getting insulted. I'll make sure moderators deal with you, Lydiot.
Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm:IHAM-COL brought up a good argument that I haven't seen in this section (unless it was posted and I missed it), which was that by guaranteeing one festival in Europe one could also guarantee one festival NOT being in Europe. I think that's a good logical argument as opposed to "it's tradition".

Go back and read that first post again. It says quite clearly that the Fall festival is in Europe while the Spring Festival is outside Europe. This was the rule from the beginning before you started your game of challenging everything just for the sake of challenging.

Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 pm:1: Should we care about when the FSWeekend is held? [HINT: IT'S A 'YES' OR 'NO QUESTION]

Your questions are irrelevant. Nobody has to prove you that a certain date is worthy enough to hold an event.
Whether you like it or not, it is a tradition to hold multiplayer events in Europe (especially Netherlands) during the FSWeekend and this tradition was present before you and me. I did a little research and here's what I found:

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015
The Festival of Flightgear-1&2 Nov, 2014
FS Weekend 2014 | ATC in Netherlands
Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014
Air H5 @ FSweekend | 48 non stop hrs of ATC | Nov 3&4 (2012)
FSweekend 2011 - November 5 & 6, 2011 (2011)
TransGear FSWeekend Nov 6 & 7 1300 UTC (2010)
FSWeekend - Military Jets at Volkel (2010)
Virtual historic aircraft flyin at EHAM Nov 7 & 8 (2009)

By the way, Spain was never voted for in the first festival. Somebody proposed it, people liked it and it was accepted. That's how it works. It's only you who is obsessed with voting for everything and trying to block any initiative anyone takes.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby Warty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm:..As for the UK guys, my opinion is that we could probably work around it geographically, but if this affects you guys one weekend, one year (because I would presume that the following year the festival would be elsewhere in Europe), then I think perhaps you guys could be flexible about it. What is your sentiment on that?

FGUK (and EGOD in particular) appears to be a zero-tolerance zone as far as ATC goes. So my guess is that participants in an ATC-event in the UK would simply be blanked/ignored by FGUK members. They would expect the same treatment from the EDDF triangle if they ran a formation flying event there.
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Just make EGOD its own ATC zone for the FGUKer's to control as they will or won't.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Warty wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:02 pm:
Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm:..As for the UK guys, my opinion is that we could probably work around it geographically, but if this affects you guys one weekend, one year (because I would presume that the following year the festival would be elsewhere in Europe), then I think perhaps you guys could be flexible about it. What is your sentiment on that?

FGUK (and EGOD in particular) appears to be a zero-tolerance zone as far as ATC goes. So my guess is that participants in an ATC-event in the UK would simply be blanked/ignored by FGUK members. They would expect the same treatment from the EDDF triangle if they ran a formation flying event there.

For some reason I don't see how this would be a problem that can't be solved. I'm fine with working around them even if I think they could maybe make an exception to this.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm

simbambim wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:39 pm:Oh great! Now the people who were providing you with information to clear up your confusion are getting insulted. I'll make sure moderators deal with you, Lydiot.

Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm:IHAM-COL brought up a good argument that I haven't seen in this section (unless it was posted and I missed it), which was that by guaranteeing one festival in Europe one could also guarantee one festival NOT being in Europe. I think that's a good logical argument as opposed to "it's tradition".

Go back and read that first post again. It says quite clearly that the Fall festival is in Europe while the Spring Festival is outside Europe. This was the rule from the beginning before you started your game of challenging everything just for the sake of challenging.

Lydiot wrote in Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 pm:1: Should we care about when the FSWeekend is held? [HINT: IT'S A 'YES' OR 'NO QUESTION]

Your questions are irrelevant. Nobody has to prove you that a certain date is worthy enough to hold an event.
Whether you like it or not, it is a tradition to hold multiplayer events in Europe (especially Netherlands) during the FSWeekend and this tradition was present before you and me. I did a little research and here's what I found:

The Festival of FlightGear - 2 & 3 May + 7 & 8 Nov 2015
The Festival of Flightgear-1&2 Nov, 2014
FS Weekend 2014 | ATC in Netherlands
Festival of Flightgear Minigames-FSWeekend 2014
Air H5 @ FSweekend | 48 non stop hrs of ATC | Nov 3&4 (2012)
FSweekend 2011 - November 5 & 6, 2011 (2011)
TransGear FSWeekend Nov 6 & 7 1300 UTC (2010)
FSWeekend - Military Jets at Volkel (2010)
Virtual historic aircraft flyin at EHAM Nov 7 & 8 (2009)

By the way, Spain was never voted for in the first festival. Somebody proposed it, people liked it and it was accepted. That's how it works. It's only you who is obsessed with voting for everything and trying to block any initiative anyone takes.

Whatever. I'll just put you on ignore for now since I don't think communicating with you further is productive.
Last edited by Lydiot on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lydiot

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Tell me, just tell me everyone, why there is there such hurling of insults and such controversy about this?
Frankly I think the best thing to do right now would be to just shut up and stop bickering. What, may I ask, is the point? What is going to be accomplished by all this skull-cracking about tiny details?
WHAT, May I ask?
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Tomaskom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm

As a member of FGUK, I personally would like to see it happen in the UK area. While not fancying ATC-driven flying too much, I would surely participate in other means, visiting controlled airports 1-2 times tops.
Many other FGUK members are used to simply ignoring any ATC trying to interfere with their activities, but no one is unnecessarily provoking in known ATC-covered areas.
We don't own any area in the FG virtual airspace, but neither do you. So please hear our wishes and avoid trying to act as a controller on EGOD, our "home base". It's not a civil airport after all. If you want to be ATC at any other nearby airport, that's fine, as long as you don't mind us ignoring you.
If UK gets selected, I view it more like an opportunity for FGUK - an opportunity to let more people know about what we do. Even if we don't want to participate in the usual way, we surely won't prevent anyone from staging an event in the area.
That being said, please tolerate our usual tight formations in airspaces you wish to command. And most of all, have fun doing what you like most, just as we do :)

I heard the festival usually has some "minigames". The Mach loop, with scenario publicly available, could be exactly that.
http://fguk.eu/index.php/hangar/downloa ... -mach-loop
The scenario contains flight path markers, which you have to pass, and measures your time via Nasal scripting.
Currently it depends on a custom "scenesetter" weather script, that dependency will be removed.
There are a few tight turns in the loop. Use of smaller aircraft is advised, although some have done it in such big birds as the Vulcan :D

Image(sorry, I didn't find a way to make the embedded image smaller)
"There are no problems in the air. The only problem is hitting the ground"

Get my L-159 ALCA from the FGUK hangar. If you crash it, things gonna go boom!
Tomaskom

Callsign: OK-TomK
Version: git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Personally, I am not planning on actually ATCing, but however, I might just happen to fly a tanker... if any of you FGUKers get a 'whoop whoop fuel low' warning, you are more than welcome to fill up.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Lydiot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Tomaskom wrote in Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:14 pm:I heard the festival usually has some "minigames". The Mach loop, with scenario publicly available, could be exactly that.

That actually looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for posting that. Regardless of what happens I'll look into it....
Lydiot

Postby Warty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm

Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events